Brushed gum away

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceEmilyB

Brushed gum away

#1 Post by BraceEmilyB »

So lately I have been noticing that on one of my teeth the gum has been brushed away
Is there anyway of getting this gum to grow back or is it gone forever :-+ :jump:

Braced on 25th January 2017
Estimated time - 18 months

braces101

Re: Brushed gum away

#2 Post by braces101 »

Why do you say it has been "brushed away"? Are you sure it is not just gum recession? If it is gum recession, it it unlikely it will just grow back. You should probably get an opinion from your orthodontist or dentist and they will send you to a periodontist if they think it is bad enough. A periodontist will do gum grafting if it is severe or bothers you enough. If you are young, most gum problems can be stopped or slowed with just better oral hygiene/flossing/waterpik/etc but there is also a genetic component to gum recession. Again, probably best you get a professional opinion. It is probably nothing to worry about but these things are easiest to resolve when approached early. Hope this helps.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016

FlyByNight

Re: Brushed gum away

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I've always been a heavy brusher. When I was young I didn't brush with a certain technique so I damaged my front gums a bit. I worried it would get worse with braces but it actually got better after they were taken off. It was easier to floss and I adjusted to brushing normally again. My gums are definitely better than they were before braces. They weren't horrible or even really an issue but I was worried that it would get worse. Luckily I started to reverse it. To some degree, it is possible. I even did some coconut oil pulling and it made my teeth whiter, but no changes in the gums yet.