How to correct midline?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chriswong065

How to correct midline?

#1 Post by chriswong065 »

My doctor told me to wear a class II & class III like below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1waN2cqbM

I searched on the internet and see there is another way to wear elastics to correct midline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw9X0Y0y0uI

Just curious on what is the difference of both methods? Are they doing the same thing?

Thanks =D

Beckett

Re: How to correct midline?

#2 Post by Beckett »

While I don't know the pros and cons of each method, I can tell you that I've worn both. First time was with the first method, and just now, weeks before I'm hopefully getting them off I'm wearing the second method just at night. Chances are each method works a little differently on your teeth and you might need both at different stages depending on exactly how your ortho wants to move your teeth in relation to each other.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

herefor1thing

#3 Post by herefor1thing »

hey, i am also trying to correct my midline. orthos say my braces are almost done but my top midline is still is still off center. my bottom one is cool tho. i have pics in a new thread i posted

ive decided im gonna try wearing asymmetrical elastic on one side of my mouth to correct the top midline, see what happens

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

I will caution you against trying an elastic configuration that your ortho has not approved. Doing so can cause movement contrary to what your ortho is trying to produce and is aware is happening. Please being your concerns to him/her and see what they prescribe for the issue. You are presumably spending a lot of money on your braces and you don't want self treatment to derail anything.

chriswong065

#5 Post by chriswong065 »

[quote="Beckett"]While I don't know the pros and cons of each method, I can tell you that I've worn both. First time was with the first method, and just now, weeks before I'm hopefully getting them off I'm wearing the second method just at night. Chances are each method works a little differently on your teeth and you might need both at different stages depending on exactly how your ortho wants to move your teeth in relation to each other.[/quote]

What is the elastics you wear for method 2? (anterior diagonal)

Beckett

#6 Post by Beckett »

For both I've been using a 1/4" medium. During the day I have triangles on both sides with the additional anterior midline just overnight. All the same 1/4 med.

miluti

#7 Post by miluti »

My midline moved to the left after my left canines were extracted in childhood/adolescence for various reasons; my midline is now 3mm to the left on both top and bottom. My ortho gave me the option and I elected to pull the ones on the right side to give space for things to move back towards the centre. I have had my braces on for 10 months now and only had to wear elastics once (only on the left side) due to some TMJ issues. I wonder if I'll have to wear either of those elastic placements in the future to correct it further, or if shifting it with powerchains/springs will be all that's required... Hmm. You've got me thinking now! ;) :BigGrin:

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump: