Discolouring

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceEmilyB

Discolouring

#1 Post by BraceEmilyB »

Has anybody else experienced discolouration around the brackets

Marriedonmaui

Re: Discolouring

#2 Post by Marriedonmaui »

Hi- yes that is normal most of the time. Light staining did to coffee, tea, or red wine can do this. Also some mouthwashes can stain teeth. Watch for white discoloration which could indicate decalcification (starting of decay). This happens if you don't brush well especially at the gumlime and if you consume too much sugar or acids. Soda is a big culprit for this. Slight yellowing should be fine, dark brown not so much. Dark brown could indicate cavities. Watch your sugar intake. Dont suck hard candies , Mints included unless sugar free. sugar free candies with xylitol are actually good for your teeth. If you are concerned I suggest seeing your dentist, your orthodontist may be able to look too at your adjustment. Also I've seen home remedies for whitening teeth that involve lemon juice. Do not do this! I feel like my teeth are yellow now too but I'll bleach when this is all over not right now. Sorry about the sugar rant, I'm a dental hygienist and I see decalcification all the time.