Is 52 Too Old For Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Stacey34

Is 52 Too Old For Braces?

#1 Post by Stacey34 »

For as far back as I can remember my two front lower teeth have been crooked. Growing up I came from a family of 8 so financially braces weren't an option plus they never bothered me so it wasn't a problem. Well, in my older age one of those two teeth is now almost sideways. My last two dentist appointments we've discussed how much it's moved and what to do. I have an appointment scheduled for this week for a consultation with him to go over stuff. He only wants to do the bottom 6 teeth, metal braces and it'll take about 6 months to straighten. My dilemma, which I will discuss with him, is that someone mentioned to me (has knowledge on the subject) that straightening the bottom will make them no longer line up with the top ones, which have a few gaps. They suggest that I go with a full set, top and bottom.
At first I think, I'm 52 why do this now but then other times I think, I'm only 52 why not!
I just had a brother pass away this past week, totally unexpected, from an aneurysm at the age of 59. So now I'm really torn as to what to do since life is so short.
I know it's my decision to make but I guess I'm looking for some input from others.
Thank you for your time.

Stacey34

Re: Is 52 Too Old For Braces?

#2 Post by Stacey34 »

I just wanted to add that the price of straightening the 6 bottom teeth will be $1500.

Prometheus

#3 Post by Prometheus »

You are never too old! I started at 58. A small bit of advice: visit a board certified orthodontist or two and get a bona fide opinion. A regular dentist is not trained to do orthodontics in the way a certified ortho is, an orthodontist is someone with years of post graduate training beyond dental school. I received a lot of bad advice from general dentists and finally needed the "full monty" to get everything fixed, I only wish I had bucked up and done it sooner.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Concur strongly with Prometheus.
I got braces at 62, had them for 3 glorious years, am 66 now. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

BlondeCam

#5 Post by BlondeCam »

Also an echoing everyone else's recommendation. Go to an Orthodontist and get their opinion. I was only concerned with straightening my top teeth, front 4 were crowded and had some mild rotation. The ortho explained they do both arches to ensure teeth all stay lined up. Made sense after he said it.
And 52 is absolutely not too old. I'll be 42 this year and am soooooo happy I finally decided to get my teeth completely straightened out. I got them March and am being debonded THIS MONTH. It's hard to believe that all these years I've been self conscious of these silly teeth and in 4 short months they are already DONE. I say GO FOR IT! Mine don't bother me at all, save for a few wires that need wax occasionally. As far as feeling I'm too old or self conscious of the braces themselves. Not one ounce! Good luck.

Beemur

#6 Post by Beemur »

I personally think as long as your teeth are healthy enough to move, you're never too old for braces! If I get to 70 and my teeth have shifted back and they're still healthy, I would be going for another round of teeth straightening for sure. Definitely talk to your dentist about your bite, if your dentist doesn't seem worried about how your teeth will all line up, maybe get a consultation with another orthodontist and see what they say, definitely better to be safe than sorry, you'd hate to end up at the end of 6 months and then need to go through top braces afterwards :)

jaykulof82

#7 Post by jaykulof82 »

52 no way are you too old your still young go for it :)

RockyMountainGirl

#8 Post by RockyMountainGirl »

I'm 54 and just got my braces put on TODAY. Two years to go till they come off. It's never too late. I completely agree with the others re: definitely see an orthodontist (in fact, it is a good idea to get several opinions). I had hoped to get Invisalign, but was not a candidate due to some of my issues. I have ceramic on top and regular metal on the bottom. So many are getting braces at our age. Best wishes to you - it will be worth it!

Amybraces

#9 Post by Amybraces »

You are never too old for braces!!!!