TPA Issues

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IslandGirl

TPA Issues

#1 Post by IslandGirl »

I am just 5 days into my orthodontic treatment to close a large anterior open bite. This was caused by prolonged thumb sucking as a child, but I have now learned that this in itself developed a tongue thrust which we are also trying to treat.
During the 6 weeks from my initial consultation to the fitting of my braces I had been trying to retrain my tongue and was having success. I knew I still needed more help though so was ken to get going with the treatment. I had spikes installed on the back of up four upper front teeth, to discourage my tongue from going there. I though this was going to be a big help for nighttime. I also had a tpa installed, a wire that runs across the roof of my mouth, that has a little bead at the back. This is meant to encourage my tongue to play with it and therefore train it to sit further back in my mouth.
Now it is installed I am really worried the TPA is actually making the tongue thrust worse. I know it should not sit against the door of my mouth but the gap feels high and I cannot make a seal with my tongue and the roof of my mouth. How am I meant to learn to swallow properly? It also feels as though the angle is pushing my tongue down to sit in the bottom of my mouth and forcing my mouth to be open all the time, though I am trying really hard to overcome this. I know things take time to learn but it really does feel physically impossible to make that seal and therefore I am sucking quite a lot with my cheeks to gather saliva (which has increased massively since this torture device was installed).
Everything I read about TPAs say they are great for tongue thrust habits but I am so worried that this is making it worse. How far away from the roof of the mouth should they sit? Should you still be able to make that seal with your tongue and the roof of your mouth? I just don't understand how I am meant to swallow properly with this thing, please help!!

HummerMan3

Re: TPA Issues

#2 Post by HummerMan3 »

Hi IslandGirl,
I too have an anterior open bite, now a year into my treatment with a TPA, TADs, and small spikes behind my front teeth to discourage tongue thrust. The TPA in my case was meant to stabilize the molars while they were being pushed in (intruded) by the TADs. When I started treatment, the TPA hang about 0.5cm off the roof of my mouth. This was intentional, as the molar intrusion gradually closed the gap between the TPA and roof of my mouth. Now there's basically no gap. I got used to my TPA fairly quickly, but I don't have the one with the bead on it, so YMMV.
I feel as if my tongue thrust habit has not changed in the past year. After the initial adjustment period, my tongue now often rests against the spikes. It sounds like you have had some success with retraining your tongue. I'd recommend continuing to be cognizant of your swallow technique, and if the TPA doesn't seem to be doing the job, to mention it to your ortho.

IslandGirl

Re: TPA Issues

#3 Post by IslandGirl »

Thanks HammeMan. Now two weeks in and just starting to get used to it. Still not convinced it is serving its purpose but I will mention it at my next appointment and see what they say! Really hoping the gap between the TPA and the roof my my mouth closes a bit at least, good to hear that it did for you - that gives me some hope!