Are extractions unavoidable in my case?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutiepie2404

Are extractions unavoidable in my case?

#1 Post by cutiepie2404 »

Hey, guys. I made a post prior my consultation (~3 months before), and now that I actually went to my consultation, I found out a lot of stuff. Of course, like I predicted, I'm going to get extractions -- my two bicuspids in my upper arch. My ortho also said my lower jaw is slightly underdeveloped which can only be fixed through surgery, but he's going through w/ extractions. My mother is quite happy, as she would never approve to jaw surgery for me (I'm a teen!). I'm wondering if you lot think extractions are completely unavoidable and necessary. I'm obviously going to listen to my ortho and go through with my extractions in about a month, but I want to hear what you guys think. :)

Here are my 'stats':

~ Extreme overjet/buck teeth and overbite (10mm or greater)
~ 80% overbite
~ slightly, not severe, crowded bottom teeth
~ I have lip incompetence. I cannot close my lips naturally and my front teeth rest on my lower lip.
~ I have extreme buck teeth!!
~ treatment is 22 months

I know extractions are considered controversial, esp. around here.

Beemur

Re: Are extractions unavoidable in my case?

#2 Post by Beemur »

I'm definitely not a professional on premolar extractions but I have done a lot of researching about them. I think seeing as you have extreme buck teeth, extractions will help you a lot especially because you mentioned your teeth rest on your lower lip. I know lots of people have bad things to say about bicuspid extractions and I totally agree that they shouldn't be done as often as they are but by the sounds of it I think the extractions would really help your buck teeth and overbite situation :thumbsup:
Hopefully there's some fellow archwired members who have had bicuspid extractions for buck teeth and can give their words of wisdom! :D

Dureena

#3 Post by Dureena »

I'd be a little concerned over an apparent lack of focus on your lower jaw. There are appliances around such as the Herbst/Forsus that will help bring your developing lower jaw forward.
Try and get some more consultations.

cutiepie2404

#4 Post by cutiepie2404 »

[quote="Dureena"]I'd be a little concerned over an apparent lack of focus on your lower jaw. There are appliances around such as the Herbst/Forsus that will help bring your developing lower jaw forward.
Try and get some more consultations.[/quote]

Thanks for replying! I initially thought those appliances were for adolescents who are undergoing a growth spurt. I'm a teenager, but I'm done with my bone growth. I had a round of braces when I was 8 or 9 and my ortho asked if I had any appliances during my treatment, and I said no.

cutiepie2404

#5 Post by cutiepie2404 »

[quote="Beemur"]I'm definitely not a professional on premolar extractions but I have done a lot of researching about them. I think seeing as you have extreme buck teeth, extractions will help you a lot especially because you mentioned your teeth rest on your lower lip. I know lots of people have bad things to say about bicuspid extractions and I totally agree that they shouldn't be done as often as they are but by the sounds of it I think the extractions would really help your buck teeth and overbite situation :thumbsup:
Hopefully there's some fellow archwired members who have had bicuspid extractions for buck teeth and can give their words of wisdom! :D[/quote]

Thanks for the answer! :)

Nozzelnut

#6 Post by Nozzelnut »

My advice; don't extract healthy teeth. Look into surgery. Increase width. There are several options other than extractions; especially being a teen!

***those extractions now might have a significant impact on you later in life!
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Tath4746

#7 Post by Tath4746 »

Cutiepie2404,

Speaking from personal experience with 4 permanent premolar extractions and retraction for Orthodontic purposes at around your age (as a teenager), PLEASE DO NOT EXTRACT YOUR FIRST PERMANENT PREMOLARS FOR ORTHODONTIC PURPOSES! Those are YOUR PERMANENT TEETH NOT YOUR ORTHODONTIST'S PERMANENT TEETH! The long-term facial problems and health issues are not worth it from my personal experience. Please find a non-extraction Orthodontist or look into palatal expansion. To give you further insight into your Orthodontic decision, please check out Dr. William Hang at Face Focused Orthodontics in California, U.S.A. (website: Facefocused.com) he is the expert at reversing previous Extraction/Retraction Orthodontic Treatment. Thank you. -TATH4746

cutiepie2404

#8 Post by cutiepie2404 »

Would other methods work on me? My growth spurt is over and I'm a female teen, which I heard girls grow faster than boys. Would those appliances have any significant effect on me? I read up on adult palate expansion, but I read it's only for limited change. My overjet is extremely severe. I think it's 11mm or 12mm.

Nozzelnut

#9 Post by Nozzelnut »

Just because your "growth spurt" has passed, that doesn't mean you're done growing. There are several options out there; appliances, SARPE, double jaw surgery, braces or a combination of any of them. Consult with as many orthodontists as you can to feel comfortable; don't necessarily go with the first one just because; have a reason that you chose to work with them.

Retracting the uppers enough so they meet with your slightly underdeveloped lowers could have an end result you're not happy with. Poor profile and/or facial features, clenching and or grinding, obstructive sleep apnea, TMJD, poor nasal airway development, mouth breathing, poor posture, neck issues... Poor breathing leads to a whole different set of problems and issues

Talk to a maxillofacial surgeon to see what they have to say too.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!