Whiten before braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

finalexplosion

Whiten before braces?

#1 Post by finalexplosion »

So, I suffer from GERD.

I saw a dentist last summer and did some work. I grind my teeth and with GERD/acid reflux, it trashes teeth. I spent about $165 on a night guard. It will be useless since I am having braces on soon. The dentist did work for pitting from the grinding and all the force I put on my teeth. Finally, he warned me of the acid reflux damaging my teeth.

Its very upsetting since, I eat so damn good, I don't have cheat meals and yet, acid reflux can yellow teeth. My front teeth are off white but, my bottom front are not impressive. I really could use my teeth whitened. I am pretty sure its not good for the enamel either but, I know it will get worse before better.

Anybody advice whitening? I also notice a spot on my teeth that would have been where my premolars were, I see discolor and yellow spots. Its like, WTF? I couldn't brush the spot where the tooth is? [ ] _____premolar[ <------- yellow spot tooth]

Ugh :@ anyway, advice appreciated. I know I will end up spending on whitening after braces in all likelihood. Damn money!

Beemur

Re: Whiten before braces?

#2 Post by Beemur »

I've noticed that there is pretty mixed opinions about whether or not someone should get teeth whitening before braces. Personally, I think if you have the money to do it and it's not going to put you out financially, go ahead and do it. But if you're a bit cash strapped, I would just wait until after braces are done, people seem to like whitening their teeth as part of celebrating their straight teeth at the end. My sister inlaw had her teeth whitened with Zoom Whitening before she had her braces put on and she's almost finished her treatment and her teeth are still so white! I'm so jealous haha. She was going to go get them whitened when she got them off but she said she's going to wait until the end of the year now because her teeth didn't really stain at all during treatment.

finalexplosion

#3 Post by finalexplosion »

Beemur wrote:I've noticed that there is pretty mixed opinions about whether or not someone should get teeth whitening before braces. Personally, I think if you have the money to do it and it's not going to put you out financially, go ahead and do it. But if you're a bit cash strapped, I would just wait until after braces are done, people seem to like whitening their teeth as part of celebrating their straight teeth at the end. My sister inlaw had her teeth whitened with Zoom Whitening before she had her braces put on and she's almost finished her treatment and her teeth are still so white! I'm so jealous haha. She was going to go get them whitened when she got them off but she said she's going to wait until the end of the year now because her teeth didn't really stain at all during treatment.
Thanks. At the very least, I would buy a kit off a drug store or amazon.

I am unhappy with my teeth. I see videos on youtube and it seems like, everyone had super perfect teeth, and white teeth. It sucks. I don't drink pop or juice, I don't eat candy or chocolate. I am really particular with my diet but, with GERD, it ruins enamel and teeth discolor.

After my extractions, I can notice my teeth is gross where the tooth was removed. Like, there is no way to brush there where a tooth is. Its gone so, I am brushing carefully but, it needs to be whitened. I never heard of that zoom white. I bought crest white strips but, they fall off because my teeth are still crooked.

I wont be able to do anything until braces finishes so, I am planning to make a move.

wendy90

#4 Post by wendy90 »

I second Beemur. If you have money it's better to undergo teeth whitening procedure before getting braces.
One of my friends has undergone teeth whitening before going for orthodontic treatment from a dental health care in This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to This is Spam please report to Administrator! ( https://www.This is SPAM please report to Administrator! This is SPAM please report to Administrator! This is SPAM please report to Administrator! This is SPAM please report to Administrator! This is SPAM please report to Administrator! This is SPAM please report to.com/orthod ... cs-This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to Administrator! This is Spam please report to This is Spam please report to Administrator!/). It's been 6 months since she got her braces and there are no stains from the treatment.
I have undergone teeth whitening after removing my braces due to financial problem.

Mpkh

#5 Post by Mpkh »

I would do it after...see if you can negotiate something with your ortho. Mine does teeth whitening post braces as part of the services the office offers
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

finalexplosion

#6 Post by finalexplosion »

Mpkh wrote:I would do it after...see if you can negotiate something with your ortho. Mine does teeth whitening post braces as part of the services the office offers
This seems to be the common practice. My new ortho informed me of whitening products if I need it which I definitely do.

AlfredoS

#7 Post by AlfredoS »

Not much doing it before since they'll go yellow pretty fast anyway. Might as well wait till later.

assertives

#8 Post by assertives »

I whitened my teeth before getting braces. Now that I have braces on, I can't really tell the difference, so might as well whiten after.