Protruding tooth root

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sandiego88

Protruding tooth root

#1 Post by sandiego88 »

Does anyone have roots that protude? My second pre-molar's tooth root protrudes a bit, but I can actually feel a bump about where I estimate the tip of the root to be. It pokes out quite a bit (red arrow). It's not like that on the right side, although both sides are really red. I asked my ortho and he said it wasn't "ideal." The problem is that I'm moving in a month, across country, and need to decide if I should continue treatment under a new ortho (re-pay the fees) or leave the root where it is. Since he said it's not ideal, that has me thinking that it's not a "my tooth will fall out problem" and just aesthetic. But the realist in me is thinking that the roots should be inside the jaw bone and I shouldn't be able to feel them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sneed1o1

Re: Protruding tooth root

#2 Post by sneed1o1 »

Your teeth look great! Are you getting them off soon? You can always get a second opinion from a dentist. According to my orthodontist, I have bone loss on my bottom teeth, which have had the most pressure applied during this treatment :shock: Sorry for the blur in the picture, but I'm curious as well. I've always felt the roots on these teeth are too exposed :Questions: My orthodontist, like your's, doesn't seem to see it as much of an issue. I don't want them falling out either!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sandiego88

Re: Protruding tooth root

#3 Post by sandiego88 »

Thanks!! I had a really bad orthodontist my first time around, so I'm always really cautious with my current one. I trust him, but I'm still a little apprehensive because of round 1. So being the crazy person that I am, I asked my sister this question (she has perfect teeth and has never had braces). She said her roots are prominent and on one tooth she had a bump out where the root tip was. It made me feel so much better! One thing that might help you compare is searching "braces after pictures" and then viewing images on google. I figure that orthos put up the best cases so it's probably a good comparison. There are a lot of people with protruding roots, but not the bump on the root tip like mine. I hope someone else or an ortho comes and chimes in!