question about midline elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

herefor1thing

question about midline elastics

#1 Post by herefor1thing »

just started wearing midline elastics a week ago and i dont feel pressure any more. should i double them up? i know docs say youre not suppose to but ive heard someone say it worked for them and corrected the midline faster, ultimately leading to them getting the braces off faster. and also, and also what size rubber bands did you guys use for midline correction? i have 6 1/2 oz, size 3/16, 4.8mm heavy tortoise. can i use tighter ones?

FlyByNight

Re: question about midline elastics

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I used midline elastics and my braces were taken off soon after. My 2 front teeth ended up slightly crooked. It's not too bad but I'm pretty sure it's from the elastic as that's the way it was pulling.

http://a64.tinypic.com/wv1zja.jpg

herefor1thing

#3 Post by herefor1thing »

any body else? dont leave me hangin

Beckett

#4 Post by Beckett »

What exactly are midline elastics? I've worn several different configurations, right now I'm in triangles, bottom molar/bottom canine/top canine, before that I had an inverted triangle on one side and a traditional upper canine to lower molar on the other, and for a while we did upper canine to lower molar on one side, and upper molar to lower canine on the other to try and pull the midline around. Are there more midline configurations? My midline is nearly perfect, but I could go over another half millimeter. :lol:

As for doubling up...don't do it unless your ortho instructs you to do so. Too much force can be damaging to your teeth. Your ortho knows how much force and for how long you need. Trust him and don't try to do something on your own to rush things. Moving teeth takes time, going faster can cause problems.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

herefor1thing

#5 Post by herefor1thing »

[quote="Beckett"]What exactly are midline elastics? I've worn several different configurations, right now I'm in triangles, bottom molar/bottom canine/top canine, before that I had an inverted triangle on one side and a traditional upper canine to lower molar on the other, and for a while we did upper canine to lower molar on one side, and upper molar to lower canine on the other to try and pull the midline around. Are there more midline configurations? My midline is nearly perfect, but I could go over another half millimeter. :lol:

As for doubling up...don't do it unless your ortho instructs you to do so. Too much force can be damaging to your teeth. Your ortho knows how much force and for how long you need. Trust him and don't try to do something on your own to rush things. Moving teeth takes time, going faster can cause problems.[/quote]

midline elastics is front cross elastics . same thing. when you put a rubber band at a top molar then across downward at a bottom molar.

strinder

#6 Post by strinder »

I looked recently on this board to see chats about midlines and I only found minimal chats so I'm not sure how many people on here at the moment are resolving it.

I'm still very early into my treatment but I'm aware my midline is going to need to be fixed. How far in to your treatment has your ortho waitied to resolve yours?

sneed1o1

#7 Post by sneed1o1 »

I had an underbite and anterior open bite. During treatment, my midline shifted. I had been wearing class III configurations, so in order to correct my midline, my orthodontist had me wear the configuration on one side for 24 hours, and then both at night, top molars to lower canines with the falcon elastics.

herefor1thing

#8 Post by herefor1thing »

[quote="strinder"]I looked recently on this board to see chats about midlines and I only found minimal chats so I'm not sure how many people on here at the moment are resolving it.

I'm still very early into my treatment but I'm aware my midline is going to need to be fixed. How far in to your treatment has your ortho waitied to resolve yours?[/quote]

yeah its not much help on here as far as midline corrections. but ive had my braces on for almost 3 years and u just started wearing midline elastics about two weeks ago. they were waiting till all the spaces in my teeth closed. i had spaces in between all of my teeth and a bigger one in between my two front teeth. i still have baby teeth and everything but they havent fallen out yet so they probably wont. but yeah they just waited until all my spaces were completely closed.

jaime

#9 Post by jaime »

I have a midline elastic after my surgery in 2015. Definitely do not double up. I found that just wearing the one eventually caused my midline to over-correct, so I can imagine that two elastics would make that problem even worse. Follow your orthodontist's orders. I think I used the 6 1/2 size as it wasn't super tight. The fact you don't feel pressure anymore doesn't mean they're not working.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

strinder

#10 Post by strinder »

herefor1thing wrote:
strinder wrote:I looked recently on this board to see chats about midlines and I only found minimal chats so I'm not sure how many people on here at the moment are resolving it.

I'm still very early into my treatment but I'm aware my midline is going to need to be fixed. How far in to your treatment has your ortho waitied to resolve yours?
yeah its not much help on here as far as midline corrections. but ive had my braces on for almost 3 years and u just started wearing midline elastics about two weeks ago. they were waiting till all the spaces in my teeth closed. i had spaces in between all of my teeth and a bigger one in between my two front teeth. i still have baby teeth and everything but they havent fallen out yet so they probably wont. but yeah they just waited until all my spaces were completely closed.
Wow that sounds really similar to me! While I don't have spacing between my top front teeth I have it everywhere else with a 5mm space on it's own in one spot. My canine is also a baby tooth! Is that 3 years of just correcting the spacing or has there been other work your ortho has been up to? 3 years is a long time though, how far does it seem like you've got left of your treatment?

herefor1thing

#11 Post by herefor1thing »

[quote="strinder"][quote="herefor1thing"][quote="strinder"]I looked recently on this board to see chats about midlines and I only found minimal chats so I'm not sure how many people on here at the moment are resolving it.

I'm still very early into my treatment but I'm aware my midline is going to need to be fixed. How far in to your treatment has your ortho waitied to resolve yours?[/quote]

yeah its not much help on here as far as midline corrections. but ive had my braces on for almost 3 years and u just started wearing midline elastics about two weeks ago. they were waiting till all the spaces in my teeth closed. i had spaces in between all of my teeth and a bigger one in between my two front teeth. i still have baby teeth and everything but they havent fallen out yet so they probably wont. but yeah they just waited until all my spaces were completely closed.[/quote]

Wow that sounds really similar to me! While I don't have spacing between my top front teeth I have it everywhere else with a 5mm space on it's own in one spot. My canine is also a baby tooth! Is that 3 years of just correcting the spacing or has there been other work your ortho has been up to? 3 years is a long time though, how far does it seem like you've got left of your treatment?[/quote]

yeah three years of correcting spaces, probably could have been done faster. i honestly think if went to a different orthodontist i would be alot further cause i hear alot about other ortho docs work being done faster. but where i go it seems like they take things very slow to lengthen the process (more money for them). but id say maybe another year and a half two years and they'll be off.