Anyone has experience with Temporary Anchorage Device ( TAD) ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissMe

Anyone has experience with Temporary Anchorage Device ( TAD) ?

#1 Post by MissMe »

Hello everyone!

I wonder if anyone of you who has or had braces , ever had TAD - temporary anchorage device placed?

I would like to hear experiences and if it helped greatly with teeth movement , that is, how well it anchors it , from someone's experience.

Also, how difficult is it to handle , put and remove? Like, when you remove it, does one needs stitches so it can heal with nothing left?

Thank you!

pcspinheiro

Re: Anyone has experience with Temporary Anchorage Device ( TAD) ?

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

Hi,
don't have any but looking forward to convincing my ortho to use them to move my molars back 1/2 tooth and put me in class I on a non-extracted side. I've read extensively about them and the process seems painless, just some topical anesthetic and it's screwed right into the bone (there's no nerves in the bone, so no pain). You don't handle, put or remove them, they are permanent until they are unscrewed from the bone. It's literally like having a small screw with the head sticking out, where you attach stuff to. When removed you don't need stitches, you just get a really small wound in the soft tissue that heals in no time.

What's the purpose of TADs in your situation? They are used for many things; intrusion or extrusion of teeth, anchorage for space closing or even for correction of class II malocclusion in mild cases, among others.

MissMe

#3 Post by MissMe »

pcspinheiro wrote:Hi,
don't have any but looking forward to convincing my ortho to use them to move my molars back 1/2 tooth and put me in class I on a non-extracted side. I've read extensively about them and the process seems painless, just some topical anesthetic and it's screwed right into the bone (there's no nerves in the bone, so no pain). You don't handle, put or remove them, they are permanent until they are unscrewed from the bone. It's literally like having a small screw with the head sticking out, where you attach stuff to. When removed you don't need stitches, you just get a really small wound in the soft tissue that heals in no time.

What's the purpose of TADs in your situation? They are used for many things; intrusion or extrusion of teeth, anchorage for space closing or even for correction of class II malocclusion in mild cases, among others.

Thanks for reply!

In my situation, TAD would be used for moving crowded tooth in already existing space. I hope there are members of this forum who have braces that use TAD too so we hear more experiences

HummerMan3

#4 Post by HummerMan3 »

Hi MissMe,
I had TADs placed last August, to intrude my molars to close an open bite. Putting them in was painless... the oral surgeon knocked me out, which in hindsight seemed like it was overkill. I'm told it took about 30 minutes to place the 2 TADs. Minimal pain afterward, nothing an ibuprofen couldn't handle. Based on the movement of the TPA spanning my mouth, the intrusion seems to have worked, but my ortho and I aren't as impressed with its improvement (or lack thereof) on my bite. The springs holding the TAD to my archwire were removed last week at my adjustment, but the TADs aren't coming out until September, so I can't comment on that part yet.

littlething

#5 Post by littlething »

I just got one put in on my bottom jaw (between tooth 27 and 27) a few weeks ago. In my case, it's to push my second molar into the space of a first molar that I had extracted. I still don't have an attachment on it yet - that is coming when I go to my regular ortho visit on Friday. The whole insertion procedure was super easy and painless, even though I got super worked up about it beforehand. I was in the office for about an hour, but the actual procedure probably only took about 5 minutes - the rest of the time was for a short consult with the oral surgeon about what to expect, getting numb, and then x-rays and aftercare instructions. I had a local anesthetic and nitrous. There was a bit of soreness as the numbness was wearing off, but they gave me ibuprofen as I was leaving the office, and then I was eating normal food by the end of the day.

Gbr45

#6 Post by Gbr45 »

how much does a TAD cost? the ortho i went to cost 1k for a screw implant, is that normal price?

HummerMan3

#7 Post by HummerMan3 »

Gbr45 wrote:how much does a TAD cost? the ortho i went to cost 1k for a screw implant, is that normal price?
My oral surgeon quoted me $250 per TAD. I paid just under $1100 for 2 TADs with IV sedation.

MissMe

#8 Post by MissMe »

HummerMan3 wrote:Hi MissMe,
I had TADs placed last August, to intrude my molars to close an open bite. Putting them in was painless... the oral surgeon knocked me out, which in hindsight seemed like it was overkill. I'm told it took about 30 minutes to place the 2 TADs. Minimal pain afterward, nothing an ibuprofen couldn't handle. Based on the movement of the TPA spanning my mouth, the intrusion seems to have worked, but my ortho and I aren't as impressed with its improvement (or lack thereof) on my bite. The springs holding the TAD to my archwire were removed last week at my adjustment, but the TADs aren't coming out until September, so I can't comment on that part yet.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with TADs! I really hope this thing would work!

In my case it would not be for bite - it would be for moving one crowded tooth into already existing space from previously missing tooth. It seems TAD is better anchor than teeth , that are not always good anchors as they move too while TAD dont move at all .