Best and worst part(s) of having braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

Best and worst part(s) of having braces?

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

For me the best thing is results; as for the worst

1. Cost (as an adult that didn't have insurance that helped 2 years costed me $6000, but I paid it off early and I'm almost done with the Orthodontic part; after which is 2 permanent implants to replace missing teeth).

2. The time invested in scheduled and emergency appointments.

3. The cuts you get, especially if you get a long sharp piece of wire at the end; I had a big enough piece that it caused a visible 3 inch long (not deep, but quite painful) cut; sometimes you leave with the wire flush on the ends and a couple weeks later you get a quite notice sharp piece of end wire.

4. Small gaps, rotating teeth, and a bracket that popped off 4 times; but it's been on for a while since the last time it got fixed and hasn't popped off again; yet and hopefully it doesn't.

5. Food getting stuck and hard to remove (unless you Waterpick or use a flexible toothpick).

6. Wanting to indulge in things you know you shouldn't, even though before braces you may not have cared that much.

How about you guys?
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Vicki04

Re: Best and worst part(s) of having braces?

#2 Post by Vicki04 »

The worst list always seems to outweigh the good.

I'd like to say I relate to number 6 but for one my orthodontist gave me a pleasantly small don't list and two I kind of sneak in items on my no list like a fizzy drink once in a while (haven't gotten in trouble yet x :-* )

Best Part -
1) Just like you, seeing results. Every little move and change makes all the pain worth it
2) People compliment my progress which gives me a little confidence boost
3) All the fun colors for the power chains and elastics(ligs?)
4) Getting new elastics and wires - just feels so good
5) Feeling the improvement even if its not visible

Worst Part -
1) Mouth Sores top my list, my mouth knows when I'm due for an appointment
2) New appliances. I've done open coil springs, metal ties to rotate teeth, partial power chains (always in a new place), the class iii elastics (which they stopped after only a month which will probably be given to me again in the future)..and then to the future appliances - I know that I'll hate you too until I get used to you but I'll still kind of hate you
3) Post adjustment pain caused by the above beauts - 1 to 3 days of headaches and sometimes soft food, occasionally I'll eat harder food just to prove to my teeth that they don't control my life
4) Eating out at areas without bathroom facilities (gaming/car festivals) where its like a food truck/stall and they don't have proper bathrooms so you do a water swish but still have a wonderful variety of food on display
5) Spending forever cleaning your braces to find other stuff still hiding out under the impossible spaces
5.1) Flossing when there's close to no space and you hurt your gums
6) Some days when you just can't talk properly with braces - most of these days usually involve business presentations

I'm sure there's more :lol:
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy:

WanderingWallflower

#3 Post by WanderingWallflower »

I do not have my braces yet, I have the molar bands and will have the braces in July. So far here are the worst parts for me:

1. Extractions- I have to do 3. I've done 3 so far, did 3 last week and have dry socket on one so it's painful. It really is the worst thing I've ever experienced.

2. The cost- I am not in America so in my currency the braces alone are costing 36,000. Not to mention the 10,000 for remedial work and the 4,000 for the extractions.

3. The spacers- I started getting an infection where one of spacers were and it made my gum swell and my lymph nodes were swollen too. Eventually they removed the spacer from that area and have since left me without it to heal before they replace it to attempt making space. :-+

Vicki04

#4 Post by Vicki04 »

WanderingWallflower wrote:I do not have my braces yet, I have the molar bands and will have the braces in July. So far here are the worst parts for me:

1. Extractions- I have to do 3. I've done 3 so far, did 3 last week and have dry socket on one so it's painful. It really is the worst thing I've ever experienced.

2. The cost- I am not in America so in my currency the braces alone are costing 36,000. Not to mention the 10,000 for remedial work and the 4,000 for the extractions.

3. The spacers- I started getting an infection where one of spacers were and it made my gum swell and my lymph nodes were swollen too. Eventually they removed the spacer from that area and have since left me without it to heal before they replace it to attempt making space. :-+
I'm sorry to hear about both infections, all you can do is ride them out and take the necessary medication to cope with them.
I know with adjustments my submental lymph nodes swell due to the pressure.

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
In my currency my braces are around 38 000(excluding the retainers cost at end) which rounds off to the $3000 range.
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy:

WanderingWallflower

#5 Post by WanderingWallflower »

Vicki04 wrote:
WanderingWallflower wrote:I do not have my braces yet, I have the molar bands and will have the braces in July. So far here are the worst parts for me:

I'm sorry to hear about both infections, all you can do is ride them out and take the necessary medication to cope with them.
I know with adjustments my submental lymph nodes swell due to the pressure.

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
In my currency my braces are around 38 000(excluding the retainers cost at end) which rounds off to the $3000 range.
I am in the Caribbean :)