Getting an expander at 40+ years old

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShawnT

Re: Getting an expander at 40+ years old

#16 Post by ShawnT »

Finally figured out how to make my file small enough to post. I'm 9 days in to this and have seen/felt some small changes. There is pressure but it's very slight and really not noticeable unless I think about it.

Bracingfor33

#17 Post by Bracingfor33 »

You have a much wider arch than I expected. And nice alignment as well! It seems to fit well and isn't as bulky as mine was. Glad to hear that it's going so well!!

ShawnT

#18 Post by ShawnT »

Don’t know if anyone is following because I haven’t posted in a while. I still have my expander 6+ months so far. It’s working and I’m pretty used to it. Talking is fine, pain is minimal. Eating is just ok. Now that it is wider, more stuff gets in it when I eat but that’s also not the worst thing that could happen. I’ve been wearing Class III rubber bands and they just aren’t doing the job. My newest part of this adventure are the Dynaflex CS 2000 (class III springs). Additionally, I may start wearing a facemask headgear soon. I’m going to post pictures as soon as I figure out how to make them small enough again.

ShawnT

#19 Post by ShawnT »

C447DC44-9B52-43F9-9091-1E428A51EDD4.jpeg
0CE0B7B3-C0AB-48E0-9DF3-4F26670EEDF8.jpeg
016C469A-E89C-43AD-AF31-A9DADBAB0F88.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

strinder

#20 Post by strinder »

Just out of curiosity what do the coil springs do? How are you finding them?

Nozzelnut

#21 Post by Nozzelnut »

Looks like your expander is a lot more user friendly than my quad helix was; but I don't think I'd like the springs...
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

ShawnT

#22 Post by ShawnT »

Normally they are for non compliance to fix a class III bite. I’m my case, I was wearing my rubber bands (almost) as much as I was supposed to but they weren’t doing the trick. The springs are permanent and provide constant pressure. As far as how things are going....sore! But I’ll get used to it just like anything else orthodontic. Eating is a little strange because I can’t get to things with my tongue. Add an expander and......

Honestly what’s making me most crazy is the fact that brushing and flossing is more difficult. Other than that, once I get used to them, I think I’ll like them. This is only 30 hours into having them.

ShawnT

#23 Post by ShawnT »

The expander has been a breeze one I got used to it and the springs will be good as soon as I adjust to it.

jfriend33

#24 Post by jfriend33 »

Wow wish I could have a larger palate for my huge tongue! Glad it's working! Any pics of bite closed?

ShawnT

#25 Post by ShawnT »

I still have bite bumps so my. It’s does not exactly “close” so my front teeth don’t bash into each other but I will post more pics soon omg teeth together as much as they can.

ShawnT

#26 Post by ShawnT »

Let me know if you wold like to see other pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShawnT

#27 Post by ShawnT »

I’ve blown my 6 month expander timeline out of the water. Looks like it’s going to be closer to a year.

mattt

#28 Post by mattt »

Anything new?

ShawnT

#29 Post by ShawnT »

Still have my expander, springs, bite bumps....well everything. Going slow but getting there.

mattt

#30 Post by mattt »

Did you manage to dodge that facemask?