How many extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracesat41

Re: How many extractions?

#16 Post by bracesat41 »

WanderingWallflower wrote:I got 3/6 today and one just refused to clot so I guess that's what they call dry socket? It hurts so bad! And the anesthetics kept wearing off really quick for some reason so I ended up getting a bunch more than usual. I cried because of all the pain and cried when I got home too.
Sorry to hear you are having such a painful time! :ThumbsDown: It will get better I'm sure.

Vicki04

#17 Post by Vicki04 »

Sorry to hear about that :ThumbsDown:. Dry socket is one of the fears I had when going for my extractions.
Have you had the dentist pack the extraction gap - I think they put dressing in the gap to help it heal - or have they prescribed you medication to help?

I hope it gets better soon and like I mentioned before, just try follow the care instructions for the other guys.
1. Crowding
2. High Canines
3. Crossbite
4. Edge to edge bite
They're just kind of wonky :crazy:

sirwired

#18 Post by sirwired »

pcspinheiro wrote:
Hammykid wrote:My ortho says I need 8 extractions because I have a small mouth and an oversized tongue.
Ok, please think about it twice! I mean, small mouth and oversized tongue AND your ortho wants to make your mouth even smaller with 8 extractions??? Not an ortho here but to me that spells future disaster in terms of breathing for example. Where's your tongue going to go when it has even less space? I'd say down, obstructing your airway!
If the arch is far too small for all those teeth, it's entirely possible that non-extraction treatment would lead an unstable result with bad flaring at the end. Extractions do not inevitably result in "less space".

assertives

#19 Post by assertives »

I had 8 teeth extracted. 4 premolars plus 4 wisdom as they were impacted. I had a very protrusive profile and moderate crowding on the bottom. I was put under and the hardest part of the recovery for me was actually a bruised throat from the intubation under general anaesthesia. I did not have any swelling nor did I feel any pain.

Scandalicious

#20 Post by Scandalicious »

I only had my wisdom teeth removed, and that was years before I got my braces as they were impacting my other teeth.