Need help with anterior box elastics! :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anersholst

Need help with anterior box elastics! :)

#1 Post by anersholst »

Hello everybody. Thanks for accepting me into this wonderful forum :)
I have a question regarding anterior box elastics. I have already both googled and used the search here, but still puzzled ..
Anyway, I'm on my 8th braced month, and starting today, I'm supposed to wear anterior box elastics around my canines to close my bite. However, the elastics wont sit on my upper front teeth. It slips up and sits where the teeth meets the gum (link to photo below). Aside from the fact that it stings my gum a bit (not too bad), I'm worried if the box will have any effect on pulling my front teeth down when the elastic's barely pushing on the teeth..??
In another thread on the forum here, someone suggested running the elastic underneath the brackets on the front teeth, but I can only wonder: wouldn't that push the teeth UP?
Link to said thread: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35495

I hope someone has something clever to say, or an experience to share! Again, thanks a lot. I wish you all a wonderful day :)

anersholst

Re: Need help with anterior box elastics! :)

#2 Post by anersholst »

I managed to forget to post the link to the photo of my teeth. Sorry!

Here it is: http://imgur.com/a/73RZD

LunaX

#3 Post by LunaX »

I wonder why it slips up! Maybe ask your ortho for some smaller elastics so they stay taught and hold placement above the bracket better? I'd assume running it under the front brackets could work since the main points of force would still be on the k9's

anersholst

#4 Post by anersholst »

It slips up because my front teeth stick a little out. It's a little ike parking a car on a hill without pulling the brake. lol!

anersholst

#5 Post by anersholst »

But you say the main points of force would *still* be the canines. Are these already supposed to be solely responsible for closing the bite? You move the canines, and the rest follow? Cause then I can see why it might be okay to run them underneath the front brackets, yes :)

LunaX

#6 Post by LunaX »

That is my understanding that the K9's are used as main anchors of manipulation, I could be wrong of course lol