Day 1 of Living with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KellyGreen

Day 1 of Living with Braces

#1 Post by KellyGreen »

28/F with moderate crowding in a smaller mouth with a narrow arch.

-Damon Clear on both top and bottom
-12 to 18 months
-turbos for severe overbite (hate them, hate them, hate them)
-mild crowding on top, moderate crowding on bottom
-elastics next appointment
-thicker wire next appointment

Apart from experiencing the expected pressure and tenderness, here is how it is going so far:

Had my braces put on yesterday morning, but the 2 front bottom brackets detached from their teeth in the evening. All I had to eat yesterday were omelets and frozen yogurt. :/ I never played around with my braces, either. I'm afraid my ortho office will think I was negligent when, in actuality, I wasn't. I tried really hard to not bite in my omelets with my front teeth, but, apparently, the carefulness wasn't enough. Isn't it generally a safe food?

A bit disappointing if that is all it took for them to unlatch. Was it me or the way they were put on?

djspeece

Re: Day 1 of Living with Braces

#2 Post by djspeece »

It was they way they were put on. It's common in the early going, especially on crowns. It's not your fault.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Psa

Re: Day 1 of Living with Braces

#3 Post by Psa »

No worries. Just tell them what happened. Doesn't sound like it was your fault. Once, after having braces for more than a year and a half, the wire was nagging in the back of my mouth and I tried using pliers to fix the issue and of course detached a bracket(it was weekend and couldn't wait till Monday). They laughed and told me just to come in whenever I had issues.