Bite turbo and teeth grinding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

milie

Bite turbo and teeth grinding

#1 Post by milie »

Hi everyone,
I'm getting braces next week!
I have a deep underbite so I will need bite turbo to keep me from damaging my lower braces.

I was just wondering how does it work with teeth grinding?
I'm quite scared of damaging my lower teeth with those metal pieces.

Thanks for your inputs!

Nozzelnut

Re: Bite turbo and teeth grinding

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

The turbos are designed to protect your teeth from the brackets; not the other way around.

Use some extra caution when chewing but everything should be fine. The extra pressure from lowers helping the uppers should move teeth fairly quickly.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

seira

Re: Bite turbo and teeth grinding

#3 Post by seira »

Hi Milie,

The bite turbos are to stop you from grinding your braces off, and let your teeth move into position freely. I've had my braces, and bite turbos on for eight weeks now. I somehow managed to grind off my last bracket on my bottom lower right jaw. When I first got bite turbos, none of my teeth touched. Eight weeks later my teeth have lined up, and moved into position. They are now starting to touch. The reason for that is not because I grind that hard in my sleep, but because the bracket was attached to a filling. The glue they use is meant to bind to enamel of the teeth, not the filling. The orthodontist assured me that you'll grind off your braces before you damage your teeth.

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with bite turbos. All the friends I've spoken to never had them.

Cheers
Seira