Drinking alcohol with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mughushed

Drinking alcohol with braces?

#1 Post by mughushed »

Hi, I've had my braces for nearly a year now and, yes, there have been times where I haven't stuck to the orthodontist's orders not to drink fizzy drinks. However, I'm going out clubbing with friends for the first time and I'm unsure what drink(s) would be acceptable to order at a (UK) club that isn't fizzy? Thanks!

jem

Re: Drinking alcohol with braces?

#2 Post by jem »

Assuming the club believes you are over 21 and lets you in, I would say drink as much as you can of whatever you want!

Habitual drinking of sweet sugary drinks is bad for your teeth and dental hygiene is all the more important with braces, hence your ortho's ban, but if you brush thoroughly after your night out you will be fine.

have a good time!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Psa

#3 Post by Psa »

Every once in a while doesn't hurt. I've had braces for 2 years and I've been out once a week partying. I've never had any problems with my braces or teeth. Sound like you're being extremely careful :D loosen up and have fun :)

mughushed

#4 Post by mughushed »

[quote="jem"]Assuming the club believes you are over 21 and lets you in, I would say drink as much as you can of whatever you want!

Habitual drinking of sweet sugary drinks is bad for your teeth and dental hygiene is all the more important with braces, hence your ortho's ban, but if you brush thoroughly after your night out you will be fine.

have a good time!

Jem[/quote]

I'm in the UK so I only have to be 18 (which I am) :) Thanks very much!

mughushed

#5 Post by mughushed »

[quote="Psa"]Every once in a while doesn't hurt. I've had braces for 2 years and I've been out once a week partying. I've never had any problems with my braces or teeth. Sound like you're being extremely careful :D loosen up and have fun :)[/quote]

Thanks! I'm sure one night (plus if I use straws) will be fine!

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

I thought drinking was mandatory for anyone in braces :lol:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Aaeolien

#7 Post by Aaeolien »

[quote="djspeece"]I thought drinking was mandatory for anyone in braces :lol:[/quote]

Yeah isn't that how to get thru the first couple days after an adjustment?