Getting braces, duration of the treatment 30 months?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dianaioanab

Getting braces, duration of the treatment 30 months?!

#1 Post by dianaioanab » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

Hello, I am 20 and I am getting braces. At first my doctor said that I have a class 2 division 2 malocclusion, then I had X-rays and plaster models done, and now she called me and she said I'll probably be needing 2 premolars extracted, that I'll have to wear elastics a lot (which I get) and that my treatment will take approximately 30 months. 2 and a half years! Now my overbite is pretty deep, as in my upper front teeth almost completely cover my bottom front teeth (I can probably still see a couple mm). But really the problem is that my molars and premolars form a very narrow shape which in turn caused my incisors and canines to be kinda crowded. When I smile you can't really see my premolars and molars which are perfectly straight except for that weird inclination/narrowness (I will post pictures as soon as I become a full member, I'm not a native english speaker so I can't explain it properly). When I decided I wanted to get braces I didn't even think I really really need them, it was more of a why not since I can get them pretty cheap. And now the orthodontist hit me with that extraction thing, I mean I hate questioning her knowledge, but my very problem is that I have tiny crowded teeth, I know extracting 2 of them will help solve my overbite, but in my head it seems so counterintuitive, I am so so scared it'll mess with my facial structure, not to mention my jaw is already making a weird click noise (no pain). And 30 months, why, just why, they're not that bad...

EmilyTravels

Re: Getting braces, duration of the treatment 30 months?!

#2 Post by EmilyTravels » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 am

Have you gotten a second opinion from a different orthodontist? From what I see on here, it's not uncommon for people to have two (or even more) consultations with different orthos before deciding on one.

dianaioanab

Re: Getting braces, duration of the treatment 30 months?!

#3 Post by dianaioanab » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:43 am

Yup, got a second opinion and it's all good now, i'm 2 months into the treatment and it's going just great, no extractions. I was told that if i need extractions, he'd rather go with removing my top wisdom teeth and then using a distalizer to push the rest of the teeth back rather than extracting premolars, which is awesome!