Braces off...teeth shifting

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cris2u

Braces off...teeth shifting

#1 Post by Cris2u »

I got my braces off about a month and a half ago. My ortho confirmed that I had a large gap before taking the braces off and gave me a Hawley for the top and essix for the bottom with directions to only wear them 12 hours a day. A small gap reappears daily but goes away after wearing the retainer. I inquired about getting a bonded upper but she doesn't offer that at all for upper. Will the gap eventually stay closed or should ask to be referred to another ortho that will apply a bonded retainer?

Juliebrynn1

Re: Braces off...teeth shifting

#2 Post by Juliebrynn1 »

I am not sure why ur ortho does not offer bonded retainers. Thats one good thing that my orthodontist gives to all the patients. That's about the only good thing.

FlyByNight

#3 Post by FlyByNight »

I'm having the exact same problem. My gap in my upper top teeth is very slightly opening up during the day. But when I have my retainers in overnight, I wake up and it's closed. I don't like the idea of my teeth constantly moving but I'm going to see my ortho in a month.

jem

#4 Post by jem »

Upper bonded retainers are not suitable for everyone. In some cases your bottom front teeth will clash with them; it depends on how deep your bite is. I have an upper bonded retainer and it works well. But I still wear a hawley at night too. I believe that gaps between upper central incisors are particularly prone to re- opening so a bonded retainer is advisable where possible.

If your gap keeps re-opening after wearing your removable retainer for 12 hours, your teeth are obviously not yet stable and you should wear your retainer 24/7 until they are properly stable. That could be a few months or maybe more.

I wonder whether orthos would do a better job by leaving fixed braces in place for a few months after our teeth are straight to enable them to gain some stability before we go into retainers?

Good luck to you both.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

sandiego88

#5 Post by sandiego88 »

Agree with previous poster that not everyone can wear an upper permanent retainer. the first ortho I went to didn't even offer bottom permanent retainers. If I was you, I would wear the top retainer 24/7 for the first six months or so.

BlondeCam

#6 Post by BlondeCam »

jem wrote:Upper bonded retainers are not suitable for everyone. In some cases your bottom front teeth will clash with them; it depends on how deep your bite is. I have an upper bonded retainer and it works well. But I still wear a hawley at night too. I believe that gaps between upper central incisors are particularly prone to re- opening so a bonded retainer is advisable where possible.

If your gap keeps re-opening after wearing your removable retainer for 12 hours, your teeth are obviously not yet stable and you should wear your retainer 24/7 until they are properly stable. That could be a few months or maybe more.

I wonder whether orthos would do a better job by leaving fixed braces in place for a few months after our teeth are straight to enable them to gain some stability before we go into retainers?

Good luck to you both.

Jem

That's something I've thought about too, especially after being in braces for the second time. Like when I get to the end! Just leave these suckers on until the teeth tighten up. Cam