Ceramic braces concerns

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

claribeary

Ceramic braces concerns

#1 Post by claribeary »

Hi guys! This is my first post here. :) I'm scheduled to get ceramic braces put on in a few weeks, but before they go on I just wanna make sure I'm making the right decision about going with the ceramic. One thing I'm concerned about is the staining. Though I don't drink coffee, I expect that a lot of the food I eat is gonna be a problem. I know that the brackets themselves don't stain, but the ligatures do. Do these ligatures get replaced every month?

The second thing is the size of ceramic braces. I've looked at a TON of pictures and metal braces look smaller than ceramic, which do look bulkier most of the time, especially when they first go on. My main problem is a severe overbite that isn't protruding per-se, but they do overlap 95% of my bottom teeth and I'm worried that the ceramic brackets on the bottom might hit the back of my top teeth. The first ortho I saw mentioned that ceramic braces might not be a good option for me because ceramic brackets are bigger, but the second ortho i saw (who I've chosen to proceed with) didn't mention this. I'm just worried it might be a problem. Has anyone had this problem?

I do know that I don't wanna get metal braces because I do definitely prefer the slightly more incognito look of ceramics. Staining is something I can live with, especially if the ligatures get changed every month. So the main issue is really the bulk.

I'm also worried that braces will make me look horrible when they first go on. I'm already super conscious of my teeth (which is why I'm getting braces at 26) and I feel like it'll all have to get a lot worse before it gets better. I feel like the braces will emphasize my overbite and make me look slightly horse like for the first few months before the teeth start to move and get pushed in.

Has anyone with an overbite gone with ceramic braces and felt the same? How long did your teeth take to move in?

Thanks for reading!

FlyByNight

Re: Ceramic braces concerns

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I had the Damon system, but only my top front 6 brackets were ceramic. This could be an option for you because as you mentioned, the metal brackets are smaller. I can't speak for the ligatures because the Damon system doesn't use them. The only staining I experienced was the white power chains, but those get changed out every month. The ligatures are also changed out every appointment.

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

I am having a deep bite fixed and had the issue of my top teeth hitting the bottom brackets when they first went on. (I have full ceramic) My orthodontist installed clear bumpers over the bottom brackets to cushion the bite. Some orthos do bite blocks on your molars instead. Result is the same, sparing your teeth from chipping or breaking the brackets off. It won't last forever, and when things get moving and the danger had passed they can be removed. Mine were after a few months. Ligatures can stain if you pic the wrong color. Don't get clear. For the invisible look go with smoke. I've had all sorts of colors just for fun. I'm glad I went with all ceramic, even if people say they are bulkier. I wouldn't go back and choose metal at all.

You won't look horrible when they first go on. You'll look like you've had braces put on. And honestly the biggest surprise to most people on this board is how much other people ignore the fact that you've gotten braces. Seriously, other adults frankly may never say a single word to you about it. Weird, but true.

No matter the brackets style you choose, you'll feel like they are bulky and awkward and weird all over your mouth. That feeling goes away and you eventually get to the point where you almost don't even notice them. But yes, things do often get worse for a bit before they get better. Be patient, it will get better. And the end result will be worth all of what you're about to put yourself through. I look forward to my appointments, because my ortho is thrilled at how my teeth are looking and his excitement is contagious. And I like getting new colors every time. And I'm excited for that perfect smile when it's all over. It just means putting up with some weirdness for a year and a half or so. I can do that.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

jaime

#4 Post by jaime »

Hi claribeary, congrats on making the decision to get braces!

Like FlyByNight, I had only 6 ceramic brackets and the rest were metal. I thought it worked out nicely like that.

The thing with the ligatures is that they will stain no matter what you eat or don't eat. Many people recommending getting the pearl coloured ligs instead of clear. I was nervous about staining too, especially since I drink a lot of black coffee. The ligs stained but it is not noticeable to anyone but you. I tend to think people are a little dramatic about the staining, because chances are, your teeth are a light shade of yellow anyway, so the ligs just blend in. The pearl ligs tend to be more noticeable because they're not actually tooth coloured.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

FlyByNight

#5 Post by FlyByNight »

Another thing to add is that I had bite ramps installed on the back of my upper front teeth so my top teeth wouldn't hit the brackets below.

claribeary

#6 Post by claribeary »

Thanks for your replies everybody!

I'll see what the dentist says when I get them put on, but bite ramps sound awful. :( Do they hurt? I have spacers in my teeth right now and they annoy me like crazy, I hate that they stick out so when I bite down I feel them, and because they are rubber it feels like pieces of meat stuck between my teeth that I can't get rid off. Having something blocking my bite sounds horrible.

@ Beckett - Thanks for your advice regarding the insecurities I have regarding how I'll look. I've decided that although some people might notice and think I look weird I really shouldn't care. :) In fact I'm getting more and more excited for them to go on.

I'm getting them put on on the 22nd of May, but before that I need to get 4 teeth extracted, and that's on the 16th. I was wondering if the extractions and the braces will alter my face shape in any way? I've got a pretty squarish face with a defined jawline that I'm not crazy about, but I've read that braces generally results in a longer, slimmer face and more sunken cheekbones. I'm looking forward to a longer/slimmer face, but not sure abt the sunken cheekbones part since I don't want to look haggard.

I have so many concerns, which are kinda driving me (and the people around me cause I keep talking about it) crazy. That's one reason I can't wait for them to go on for real so i know what i'm actually dealing with.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit. :D

Catpotat

#7 Post by Catpotat »

Claribeary I am so excited for you! Does your ortho offer self-ligating braces? They do not use ligatures and therefore you don't need to worry about staining (unless you get power chains. I've tried clear, pearl and grey. Grey resists staining the best)

After 4 extractions, my face shape changed for the better. If you have severe crowding, lip incompetence, or any fullness in the mouth area, extractions can help. If not, I would try asking why they want to extract

claribeary

#8 Post by claribeary »

Thanks, Meowmei!

My ortho doesn't offer SL brackets. I've done tons and tons of research and now it turns out staining is the least of my concerns. T.T

I'm convinced that i'm going to be needing a bite plate / bite turbos / bumpers at some point and I'm so worried about not being able to eat anything my braces fitting day feels like doom day. I think i'm stressing myself out too much with this which is why I can't wait to get them on so i know for real what I'm actually dealing with, as opposed to freaking out over things that may never happen.

I also hope that my face shape changes, I hate my profile now but I'm not sure how it'll change for the better with braces. Guess we'll have to see over time! :>

dovhe

#9 Post by dovhe »

I decided to go with ceramic braces (on my upper 6 teeth) and I don't regret it at all. I do like metal braces and would love to experiment with differenct colours of elastics, but I look waaay younger than I am, so I went for the more mature-looking braces :D Staining is always somewhere in the back of my mind. I think my ligatures look a bit yellow now, but when I ask others to confirm, they all say they still look clear, so I'm probably overthinking it. I still drink coffee (I take it with milk), but I've been avoiding curry, mustard and red wine. I still eat tomato sauce because I can usually tell if a certain type of sauce will stain (especially if there's a lot of red-stained grease, if that makes sense).

They are bulkier, but that doesn't bother me at all.

FlyByNight

#10 Post by FlyByNight »

claribeary wrote:Thanks for your replies everybody!

I'll see what the dentist says when I get them put on, but bite ramps sound awful. :( Do they hurt? I have spacers in my teeth right now and they annoy me like crazy, I hate that they stick out so when I bite down I feel them, and because they are rubber it feels like pieces of meat stuck between my teeth that I can't get rid off. Having something blocking my bite sounds horrible.

@ Beckett - Thanks for your advice regarding the insecurities I have regarding how I'll look. I've decided that although some people might notice and think I look weird I really shouldn't care. :) In fact I'm getting more and more excited for them to go on.

I'm getting them put on on the 22nd of May, but before that I need to get 4 teeth extracted, and that's on the 16th. I was wondering if the extractions and the braces will alter my face shape in any way? I've got a pretty squarish face with a defined jawline that I'm not crazy about, but I've read that braces generally results in a longer, slimmer face and more sunken cheekbones. I'm looking forward to a longer/slimmer face, but not sure abt the sunken cheekbones part since I don't want to look haggard.

I have so many concerns, which are kinda driving me (and the people around me cause I keep talking about it) crazy. That's one reason I can't wait for them to go on for real so i know what i'm actually dealing with.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit. :D
Bite ramps do not hurt, but if you bite down too hard, it feels like someone's hitting your teeth in. So they can even chip your front teeth if you're not careful. I didn't have them long. I think a little less than 5 months.

Hijinxthecat

#11 Post by Hijinxthecat »

I had the option of getting ceramic or metal. My ortho told me that they would rub against my top teeth though and they can actually wear the teeth down, so he told me metal would be best on the bottom. I didn't want to look mismatched, really wanted ceramic, but did not want to do any unnecessary damage to my teeth that could end up being more expensive in the long run. Last minute I chose metal for top and bottom and I'm 3 weeks in and am glad I went for metal. I go with pearl bands and have had so many people tell me they can barely notice them. I don't avoid staining foods and am an avid coffee and tea drinker and haven't had any staining yet. The more pictures I look at of other people in metal vs ceramic the happier I am with my choice. :) good luck on your journey!

claribeary

#12 Post by claribeary »

I feel like whatever I choose i'll end up regretting, hahaha. If i go for ceramic, I'll probably regret it because I'll keep telling myself that metal brackets would have been smaller. If i go with metal, I'll probably regret it when i look at photos of myself. Gah!

I'll raise my concerns with my ortho at the next visit, although the next time I see her will be at the braces fitting... Do they usually prepare the materials beforehand or do all orthos have both kinds of brackets readily available if I were to change my mind at the last minute? We have agreed that i'd be going full ceramic.

Also, I've decided to worry about the bite ramp stuff if and when i ever get there. I'm a worry wart so one step at a time sounds like a good plan. >.<

Bracingmyself33

#13 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Hi there fellow Singaporean! :D

Congrats on making the first step! I'm a Damon-3 user so cannot comment on the staining part. However, I do have clear power chains here and there and they turned leon yellow almost immediately after my coffee. On the bright side, it's leon yellow and not some weird colours. :roll:

I had bite blockers (my ortho calls them mountains) for 3 months. Yes, the first week will be a nightmare. Forget about chewing on the first day. Speaking may be an issue. But our bodies are amazing adapters! Soon you'll be eating and chatting as usual! Don't worry about it!

I had severe overcrowded teeth and didn't show my teeth a lot before I had braces. I noticed I've been showing a lot of teeth on pictures these days. Tell yourself that everyday is one day near perfection and teeth is improving day by day. :HugeGrin:

Keep us updated and post pictures! :tingrin:

lisamarie666

#14 Post by lisamarie666 »

Hi claribeary!

I am getting braces put on next month and I have the same exact concern as you....I cannot make up my mind if I want clear/ceramic or metal. I am 32 and have already agreed to getting clear braces but since I have been doing a lot of online research I keep seeing people say that the clear brackets are more bulky and that's making me question if I should get metal instead.
Even if I get clear braces I am still planning on having colored bands since apparently the clear bands stain after a while. I think on some people the metal braces with colored bands look cute! I also have a little bit of an overbite. So, I am very curious what braces you decided to go with and if you are happy with your decision, etc. =)

Jasmine94

#15 Post by Jasmine94 »

I just got clear ceramic braces with clear ligatures. They do look a lot better than metal, but I am paranoid about staining the ligatures. Anyone know what I can and can’t eat? I’m so lost!