share your soft food meals

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heidirs

share your soft food meals

#1 Post by Heidirs »

I know there's a sticky already with soft food cookbooks, but I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we share our soft food meals. Looking for ideas beyond just soup or yogurt. What soft food meal did you have that was enjoyable and didn't make you feel like you were restricted from the normal foods you love?

My husband and I got Chinese take out yesterday. I took my portion and dumped in all in the blender (including sauce, minus the rice). It all ground up into a paste that I then mixed in with my rice. Delicious as ever.

26inbraces

Re: share your soft food meals

#2 Post by 26inbraces »

Most mornings I eat oatmeal... not exciting but it's easy. I like to add some peanut butter. I eat pasta, usually try to make a meat sauce to get some protein in there. (then immediately brush my teeth so my clear braces aren't orange...). Soft french bread (breaking it into pieces and mostly eating the inside! haha)... I'm getting to where I can chew more - yesterday I made chicken and some zucchini which was easy to eat. I've cooked sausages (cut up) that worked out well. Then of course mashed potatoes... I am trying to find more options that aren't all carbs!

SoulfulRetreat

#3 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

I've had braces on my upper teeth for about a week now. Man, was it rough and an adjustment! I ate mostly soup the first day or two, but then as it eased up some I ate a little more. I found scrambled eggs to be great for protein and I even was able to eat grilled chicken tenderloins at Cracker Barrel on the 3rd day. That was great because it wasn't hard and provided protein. I still cannot eat solid foods like I used to, but I can eat more than soup now....lol Just some of the items that were helpful for me are: eggs, canned overcooked vegetables like green beans and peas, mashed potatoes, Oscar Mayer Pre-cooked bacon (this actually cooks up crisp, but it's softer than regular bacon and easy to eat), baked potatoes, fruit, ice cream, applesauce, cottage cheese. While, these are not necessarily recipes, they definitely helped me out quite a bit for my first week. This is a really good idea! I am eager to see what others suggest as I will need the ideas going back for my bottom braces soon. Thank you! :-)

JanineJanine

#4 Post by JanineJanine »

I recall from my first week I ate lots of macaroni cheese, mashed potatoes & beans, and soup. I was able to eat scrambled eggs on soft toast after a few days. Breakfast was Weetabix or porridge (oatmeal).

kitkat308

#5 Post by kitkat308 »

SHEPHERDS PIE!! It is really soft and tasty.

Heidirs

#6 Post by Heidirs »

I really like the shepard's pie idea!

Today, I had chicken wings... pulled the meat off the bone and chopped it into tiny pieces. But it still counts, right? :D

bez

#7 Post by bez »

The only thing that I can't eat the way I used to before the braces are hard fruit like apples unless I cut them up into smaller pieces. I remember my first weeks it felt so awkward to chew food I even bought a blender and only ate soft food. Nowadays I don't even remember the feeling of eating without braces it feels so normal.

Heidirs

#8 Post by Heidirs »

I had lasagna at a friend's house and that went down easy.

Has anyone tried fish? I'd think fish would be soft...

For lower carb ideas:
Slice zucchini to use in place of lasagna noodles
Spiralize zucchini to make spaghetti noodles or cook and use the innards of spaghetti squash
steam and mash cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes
mix equal amounts chia seeds and flax seed meal for oatmeal

Heidirs

#9 Post by Heidirs »

Chicken salad with shredded chicken and no hard pieces like celery (unless cooked to soft first) should be good

I used to make a recipe of rice balls using bread crumbs and either canned fish or chicken and baked them. I remember those being soft.

I really want to try guacamole. I think that would be soft. And I guess you could just eat it with a spoon and avoid chips.

Zucchini pizza would be softer than normal pizza. Slice it, sprinkle on toppings, and bake.

Steph30

#10 Post by Steph30 »

Porcupine meatballs on mashed potatoes, shephers pie, home made soups with smallll veggies cut up, pastas all are easy to eat... Oatmeal (a lot), protein shakes with banana and vanilla greek yogurt, chicken pot pie, I've blended up thai food on rice.. that was satisfying.. I still cant chew because my molars don't connect so I have to be able to swallow the food whole... Love all the suggestions!

MissEvaH

#11 Post by MissEvaH »

My last adjustment made my teeth hurt more than usual so I'm back on soft foods for a few days. So far I've had meatloaf and scalloped potatoes, tortellini alfredo, and tonight is fish sticks and tater tots.

Ziggy

#12 Post by Ziggy »

I'm a big fan of smoothies (you can put damn near anything in a blender). I also bought soft, whole wheat white bread for sandwiches and that helped me a lot.

redclaygirl

#13 Post by redclaygirl »

Polenta! Last night i had it at a restaurant with olive oil and parmesan. It was so satisfying and easy to eat! I've been eating a lot of mac n cheese too. Braces are a great excuse to indulge! I can't really do high dairy foods that also have sugar because make me nauseous but cheese and pasta actually seem to be working for me.

Heidirs

#14 Post by Heidirs »

Day 2 of braces today. Been existing on pudding, lunch meat, and ice cream. Maybe soup for dinner today? :soremouth:

Heidirs

#15 Post by Heidirs »