Missing upper front tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WheresTheSauce

Missing upper front tooth

#1 Post by WheresTheSauce »

Hello everyone,

Im in my early 20s and I've lost my upper front tooth at a very young age due to an accident. This has caused other teeth to shift and move out of place. I recently just decided to get braces done for my teeth and my orthodontist mentioned that if I wanted an implant or bridge for the missing tooth, she would have to widen the gap, and I would not be able to wear flippers/dentures until the gap is large enough for an implant.

Im afraid to think that I would have to walk around with a huge gap in my mouth, is there something like a temporary fake tooth that can be attached to the wire while the gap is being widened? I remember my orthodontist saying that she wouldnt want to attach the fake tooth to the adjacent teeth so that the gap widens smoothly or something like that. Is there any other options or is it better to just close the gap with the braces instead of widening the gap for implants/bridge ?

bhumik85

Re: Missing upper front tooth

#2 Post by bhumik85 »

well depending on how much gap you have i know for sure they can do "riding pontics" to make it look like you have a tooth in the gap.

I want to know, if they were to close the gap instead of making space for an implant, and move all the teeth, is there something to make it seem like you have a tooth while the gap is being closed. I imagine it would have to be changed frequently as the gap gets narrower and narrower and once it gets thinner than a bracket it probably would not be able to be filled.

Tyrantblade

#3 Post by Tyrantblade »

I have a missing front tooth and have a Pontic to occupy the space until I get an implant to permanently stay there, which will happen after my braces are ready to come off.

The only really annoying thing is when they put me down to a looser wire it would move around a lot.

Otherwise at least I don't feel so stupid looking compared to having a big obvious gap.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

WheresTheSauce

#4 Post by WheresTheSauce »

Thanks for the replies, I'll try asking my orthodontist about the riding pontics thing. One question that I have is that, will it be stable or will it come loose easily if you bite down on food or apply pressure to it?

Tyrantblade

#5 Post by Tyrantblade »

WheresTheSauce wrote:Thanks for the replies, I'll try asking my orthodontist about the riding pontics thing. One question that I have is that, will it be stable or will it come loose easily if you bite down on food or apply pressure to it?
Its pretty stable if the wire on your top arch is a thick/strong one, on a weak enough wire it will feel loose and move around a lot, but mine is attached to a weak wire and they put extra things on to make it stay in place better and so it's not too bad.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17