Removable Expander Issues

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crowdedmouth

Removable Expander Issues

#1 Post by crowdedmouth »

Hey! So this is my first post and I'm making it cos I can't seem to find any info on my specific set of issues! I got a removable palatial expander, Hawley type device three weeks ago to make room in my mouth pre getting braces, and it's just awful in so many different ways! I can't imagine I'm the only one having these problems so was hoping some of you might have been through the same issues and found ways of dealing!

First off, my speech is awful. I can't say S, D, CH, T really at all. The plastic covers the whole of the back of my front teeth, actually comes down below the bottom of the teeth so there's no chance if making S sounds. And every time I tighten the thing, the two sides of the appliance split apart more, so there's this gap right down the middle that makes it impossible to say most consonants without a weird hiss. I literally can't say words beginning with D or T. And I'm supposed to keep this thing in 24/7. It's made me really quiet and anti-social as I sound ridiculous and am barely understandable when I speak. Everywhere I look for advice, people say the speech issues go away but mine have only been getting worse with each tightening.

Secondly, I can't close my mouth with it in as my teeth come nowhere near to meeting. So I have this really lovely mouth-breather thing going on and look very weird when I try to smile. (Also as my teeth don't meet, the only way I can chew is by mashing things against the plastic with my bottom front teeth. Not ideal but actually that's the least annoying thing.)

I'm just wondering, is it this bad for anyone else? Or am I being a whine-bag? :P I feel bad for being so negative since I chose to do something about my awfully crooked teeth, I'm just really struggling with how much the inability to speak acting my life.

Jeska0113

Re: Removable Expander Issues

#2 Post by Jeska0113 »

Whaaat you have a removable expander? So you're the one that tightens it or how does it work? Sorry for the ignorance btw.
I have an expander as well and i just find light in the negativity cuz i also have difficulty saying stuff like CH , rolling my R's, S , so i literally laugh about it ! Bcuz it is kinda funny ! Lol. But i think it's normal bcuz c'mon , there's something interfering with your tongue when it speaks !
Whenever i get my expander tightened, it leaves an imprint on my tongue which also makes it look like my tongue is split and also hurts alot btw ! So at night, i sleep with my mouth open so my tongue gets a rest from the expander :lol:

Jeska0113

#3 Post by Jeska0113 »

Whaaat you have a removable expander? So you're the one that tightens it or how does it work? Sorry for the ignorance btw.
I have an expander as well and i just find light in the negativity cuz i also have difficulty saying stuff like CH , rolling my R's, S , so i literally laugh about it ! Bcuz it is kinda funny ! Lol. But i think it's normal bcuz c'mon , there's something interfering with your tongue when it speaks !
Whenever i get my expander tightened, it leaves an imprint on my tongue which also makes it look like my tongue is split and also hurts alot btw ! So at night, i sleep with my mouth open so my tongue gets a rest from the expander :lol:

crowdedmouth

#4 Post by crowdedmouth »

Yes I'm not entirely sure what it's called but it looks like this: http://www.gokadar.com/images/uploads/r ... %20psa.jpg (Not sure if that image will work!) And yep I turn the key once a week. I'm just finding it annoying that every time I just about get used to talking with it, I have to tighten it and it gets worse haha! I'm a bit worried about how crazy I'll sound by the end of the 16 weeks :P I just wondered if I was the only one whose speech got worse after tightening the thing, cos everywhere I look online seems to say your speech should go back to normal after a few days of getting the thing...which seemed mad to me!

Mostly I do just laugh at myself...it's just getting less funny as time goes on ha. Especially cos I love tea but I can't say it, as when I try to order it in cafes, it comes out as gibberish :P Like can I have a cup of kkkkkkeh - but I was able to say it when I got them in at first - that's what's frustrating!

I'm just whining, I know! I should get over myself :)

That sucks the thing hurts your tongue! I'm lucky that it hasn't caused me a lot of pain.

Jeska0113

#5 Post by Jeska0113 »

So that square thing is where you put the key in ? this place is the only place i know of of someone else with an expander !
Can i have a cup of kkeehhh :lol: :lol: :lol: i actually read that how it would sound :lol: At least you're not alone on that :crazy: 16 weeks seems like a long time doesn't it? But then it goes by when you least expect it

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Dear Crowdedmouth,

Why not ask your ortho why your appliance needs to be so thick behind your front teeth? The thickness may be necessary for some bite plate type function designed to keep your molars apart. But if it is not, you could ask your ortho to grind some of the acrylic off to make it thinner and easier to speak with.But my first hawley retainer was thick behind the front teeth and I found that my speech adapted very quickly.

I can appreciate that the split in your plate might add to your speech difficulties. Have you tried filling the gap with orthodontic wax? That might help remove the hiss.

Your speech is probably not as bad as you think. What you hear and what others hear is quite different-try recording yourself.

Finally, the more you speak, the more you will adapt, so don't avoid speaking with others and when you are at home try to practice speaking as much as possible by reading a book out loud or singing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

The "trick" to speaking with a bulky palatal appliance is practice. Spend your spare time reading aloud to yourself, trying to enunciate clearly; your tongue will retrain itself soon enough and you'll sound quite normal.