Do I have flared teeth after braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ashwings

Do I have flared teeth after braces?

#1 Post by Ashwings »

Hello everyone, so I got my braces removed today after 3 and a half years of getting them (got them when I was 23)...I was so happy about getting them off but now that I actually stopped and really looked at my teeth on the side they look extremely flared, shouldn't they be more perpendicular?:/ they look fine when looking at the front. I never had protuding teeth, they were overcrowded and one of my canines was up. Is this normal? Am I just overreacting?
I'm going to get my retainers tomorrow, I'm really sad because I don't think there's anything that can be done now that they are off but I just wanted to know someone else's opinion on the matter...
Side view: http://i68.tinypic.com/i35k6e.jpg

Ashwings

Re: Do I have flared teeth after braces?

#2 Post by Ashwings »

Tried to edit it in the previous post but here's a photo of the smile more from the front: http://tinypic.com/r/2i1m39h/9

Bracingmyself901

#3 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

Looks like you may have benefited from being an extraction case

Ashwings

#4 Post by Ashwings »

At my first consultation my ortho said something along the lines of that she didn't believe in extracting teeth and didn't do so for the last something years of her career, so the only teeth I got extracted were the wisdom ones. I feel like crying right now...so many years, pain and money, right now I feel like I have overpriced horseteeth and the more I look at it the more I see it...

Bracingmyself901

#5 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

Definitely call your ortho and voice your concerns. They may be able to work out a plan for fixing it.

Beemur

#6 Post by Beemur »

I totally agree with saying that you should call your ortho and say you aren't happy. I really really didn't want extractions, I have pretty severe crowding. But my orthodontist said if he was to go ahead with no extractions on the bottom I would end up with flared teeth as there is 'only so much that elastics can do'. If your orthodontist made a bad call and didn't extract teeth where she should have, you should for sure tell her how upset you are. Your teeth definitely look beautiful and straight, but if the flaring of them bothers you, let her know. You're allowed speak up after lots of money spent and many years in braces! :)

FlowerPower

#7 Post by FlowerPower »

Let us know how this goes! I almost feel as if your ortho didn't try her best to straighten your teeth. Sometimes extractions are needed and that's ok.

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

Yeah; I cover "no-extraction" orthos in my sticky about malpractice and quackery. An ortho that refuses to extract teeth from anybody is simply refusing to use all the tools in the toolbox.

FlyByNight

#9 Post by FlyByNight »

How's your bite? It looks like your canines are sitting a little too far forward.

BlondeCam

#10 Post by BlondeCam »

Your smile is beautiful but I would def call and discuss. It's too much time and money to just settle. Best of luck

Ashwings

#11 Post by Ashwings »

Hello again thank you so much for all your input. Just a quick update I went to my ortho again to get the retainers, but she wasn't there at the moment so I talked to another ortho who followed my case aswell.At first she told me that everyone has a slight flaring but when I insisted about it she said she could definitely see what I was talking about, I'm so gullible though... I wish I could have insisted a bit more on how unhappy I was...well since I have a cavity to take care off and one of my front teeth is chipped I'm going to go back in 2 weeks so they can see what else can be done about it. Wish me luck I guess, I'm definitely getting more used to them now :). My bite feels fine btw but one of my canines is def flaring a bit more than the other.

Heidirs

#12 Post by Heidirs »

Definitely interested in hearing what they have to say about the flaring as I'm a possible extraction case myself. Keep us posted.

Ironmb

#13 Post by Ironmb »

Honestly should have weighed with extractions. My ortho told me the same thing, but told me straight up that if I didn't get extractions she wouldn't be able to my teeth the way I wanted. Next day I scheduled to get 2 two teeth pulled.

Ashwings

#14 Post by Ashwings »

So I went back to my dentist and explained that I was a bit disappointed at how my teeth turned out. She offered 3 options. I either put braces back on, it would be the metal ones this time around because I can't afford to pay the clear ones again...she says this would take 6 months, I asked if I had to extract any teeth and again she said no. The second option is to use some kind of removable braces but the cost would be the same as the clear braces. 3rd option which is probably not even doable and expensive is veneers. I don't like metal braces, which was why I paid extra for the clear ones so I'm not too fond of that solution. The removable braces would take longer and would be more expensive. And the veneers are just way too expensive for me right now. I'm thinking about going somewhere else to get a second opinion. I'm just so sad because everyone gets such a straight perfect smile after braces for so long and mine didn't. I still haven't decided what to do, I'll keep you updated when I do.

Ashwings

#15 Post by Ashwings »

I'm probably keeping them like this for now. I don't think it's too noticeable from the front, only at certain angles. I wish I could have noticed this before I got my braces off, but honestly I couldn't see it.
Photo without braces after fixing chipped tooth (front): http://i63.tinypic.com/2afdhm1.jpg
Photo of braces 6 months before taking them off:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=23hvt3m&s=9
To me my teeth didn't move for more than 6 months when I had braces so I don't get how now if I get 6 more months with braces I can get them how they should be without extracting any teeth. :/ I'm just so confused...honestly don't know what to do.