Decisions to make regarding orthodontic treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheBostics

Decisions to make regarding orthodontic treatment

#1 Post by TheBostics »

So I am looking for suggestions as to how to continue further with orthodontic treatment.

For future reference, I have contacted my childhood othodontist and have already arranged a consultation with him in May once I have concluded with university for the summer.

I have a underbite, whether or not it is a class III malocclusion I have not had the opportunity to discuss with my orthodontist. However, I do know that it is a genetic occurence as my father's brother suffers from the same condition. My first orthodontist, who treated me from the ages of 8 to 11, initiated treatment by placing an expander on my upper jaw. Braces were placed on my front four upper teeth to close "buck teeth". Ultimately, my family discontinued treatment as the othodontist refused to go further, declaring that surgery was my only option. Seeking a second opinion. around the age of 12 I was referred to a orthodontist who chose a more conservative method to treat my underbite. His treatment plan involved braces for two years, using elastics to correct my bite. This treatment plan properly corrected my jaw, and I was released from treatment in November of 2011 around the age of 14. Post-treatment I was given a retainer for my upper jaw, while having a permanent retainer placed on my lower jaw, on the front four teeth.

For the first two years following treatment my bite remained stable. By 2014, however, my underbite had returned, albeit not with the same severity that it was at when I was a child. I am not sure if a wisdom tooth removal surgery at 16 may have caused bone growth which led to the bite relapsing, but this is a theory I have tjought about, amongst others. At the age of 18 in 2015 I also had an accident in which I lost my upper right front tooth. This brought back attention to my underbite and properly treating it.

I am now a young 20 years old, with a minor underbite as well as an open bite on my right side (which would also be your right side) due to a small gap between the canines and bicuspids on that side. On my left side, there is no open bite but my upper front teeth meet my lower jaw where the permanent retainer was placed. All of my teeth touch on both sides but are not even due to the underbite. My second molars on my upper jaw do not meet the second molars on the lower jaw until about 1/2 way at the tooth. My facial profile is not significantly distorted, and I am still able to chew hard and soft foods with some trouble eating gummy bears, worms and similar products. However, I have noticed that when I keep my two jaws partially open with closed lips my profile appears normal, and when my jaws are clenched shut my lower jaw "pulls" my face forward. My teeth are still all together, even though I stopped wearihg my retainer due to the accident.

I discovered this forum about two months ago, and finally registered in order to ask others who are in similar precidaments such as myself what my best options are going forward. Although jaw surgery was discussed when I was much younger, the way my jaw is positioned now I believe that elastics may be able to move it back, albeit with my age, I want to know how likely it is that this will actually work. I am more than willing to do jaw surgery if absolutely needed, although I would prefer an alternative option, one that does not involve the removal of teeth or the application of veneers. I need a permanent solution to this issue, an issue I've been fighting since I was 8 years old.

If anyone needs any pictures, please let me know. I will be glad to upload pictures of my jaw via a secndary picture host as I cannot attach pictures at the moment.

Thank you all for your advice/tips/help and may God bless you all!

djspeece

Re: Decisions to make regarding orthodontic treatment

#2 Post by djspeece »

I am not in a position to offer advice on the issue, but did want to bump this up, and wish you the best of luck. There are many here who have been in a similar position and I hope they respond!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

TheBostics

#3 Post by TheBostics »

Thank you for your reply. I am looking forward to hearing other forum members' opinions.

Since I cannot edit my original post, I would like to add that there is a crossbite as my midline has shifted. My teeth are also "straight" in the sense that they were corrected by braces and have retained this shape.

TheBostics

#4 Post by TheBostics »

Bumped. I do have pictures if anyone is interested in seeing a visual rather than a description.

Rebeccasmells

#5 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Pics please

TheBostics

#6 Post by TheBostics »

https://m.imgur.com/a/1pY1a

I have created an album. The younger picture of me was taken in June 2013 post orthodontic treatment. The rest are me and my bite currently.

Rebeccasmells

#7 Post by Rebeccasmells »

What area is your family from?

Rebeccasmells

#8 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Rebeccasmells wrote:What area is your family from?
In the world?

Bet you wish you had surgey now.

TheBostics

#9 Post by TheBostics »

[quote="Rebeccasmells"][quote="Rebeccasmells"]What area is your family from?[/quote]

In the world?

Bet you wish you had surgey now.[/quote]

Not sure what that means when I stated that I was willing to get surgery to treat it. Was asking what steps should I take next, essentially.