Bicupid Reversal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amanygh

Bicupid Reversal

#1 Post by amanygh »

I have a consultation with an orthodonist tomorrow. After thinking about it for while now I have decieded I want to reverse my bicupid extractions due to aesthetical changes, some tmj problems, and some trouble breathing at night. Im very nervous about having him refuse me I know it will most likely depend on how possible it is and what not but does anyone have an experience/ advice on how I should approach the orthodontist? I would appreciate it so much thank you!

amanygh

Re: Bicupid Reversal

#2 Post by amanygh »

First appointment was a no. Has anyone who had bicuspid reversal experienced alot of no's. Annoyed but willing to go through more consultations if there is atleast the chance ill find someone willing. I feel like they rest will say the same thing to me and its stressing me. Anyone know any orthos in the montreal area who would do it?

Seasaltmind

#3 Post by Seasaltmind »

No one wanted to do a reversal for me either. How many orthodontists have you seen so far?

Many doctors didn't even want to put me in braces or recommend me for jaw surgery. I honestly think they're very uneducated or have not had recent training.
Luckily, I found a doctor who understood me. I think its possible for you to find one. Good luck.

amanygh

#4 Post by amanygh »

Seasaltmind wrote:No one wanted to do a reversal for me either. How many orthodontists have you seen so far?

Many doctors didn't even want to put me in braces or recommend me for jaw surgery. I honestly think they're very uneducated or have not had recent training.
Luckily, I found a doctor who understood me. I think its possible for you to find one. Good luck.

Ive only talked to the ortho who did my extractions, and another. Im glad you found one thats great! Is yours an orthodonist or a dentist?

SoulfulRetreat

#5 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Hello,

I am currently in braces (just had them put on last week). My Ortho wants me to eventually extract 4 teeth. I have told her I would like to wait and think about it, so she agreed. She told me if I choose not to extract, that my gums could tear due to crowding. Would you recommend not having the extractions? Something about them make me concerned, I have read where a few people regretted doing it as it changed the shape of their faces and caused more issues. Thanks!

giamia101

#6 Post by giamia101 »

[quote="SoulfulRetreat"]Hello,

I am currently in braces (just had them put on last week). My Ortho wants me to eventually extract 4 teeth. I have told her I would like to wait and think about it, so she agreed. She told me if I choose not to extract, that my gums could tear due to crowding. Would you recommend not having the extractions? Something about them make me concerned, I have read where a few people regretted doing it as it changed the shape of their faces and caused more issues. Thanks![/quote]

I feel as if it is different for everybody. I am getting my extractions next week because I have a bimaxillary protrusion, so for people with that type of issue, there would be minimal change because the teeth are forward (kind of like horse teeth.) However, because you have crowding and i am assuming it is severe considering the fact your orthodontist told you that tears are available to the gums , I believe you should go with the extractions. A little something to make you feel better, Cheryl Cole had teeth extractions and she looks phenomenal :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... s_2014.jpg

Nozzelnut

#7 Post by Nozzelnut »

Extraction orthodontics in my teens eventually lead to obstructive sleep apnea in midlife. They should have done something different way back when; expanders, appliances, even surgery. The last 3 years have been a PITA fixing things that were primarily caused because of extractions and headgear.

If your jaws will be large enough to allow your tongue enough room to not impact your airway with extractions you should be good to go. But check with an ENT before proceeding. Ask your ortho about your airway and what will happen with extractions. If they say "you should be good;" keep asking questions.

There's a select few orthodontists that take everything into account. It's not just one thing; it's everything. Things are very inter-related in the mouth, nose and throat. Find an ortho that looks at the big picture; it's not just aesthetics and appearance.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

UnhappyCamper

#8 Post by UnhappyCamper »

Giamia101. Please do not mislead. Cheryl Cole has not had bicuspid extractions. I have attached four photos that show two upper bicuspids still present on each side. Posing false statements like this can wrongly influence and can end up being very damaging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amanygh

#9 Post by amanygh »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:Hello,

I am currently in braces (just had them put on last week). My Ortho wants me to eventually extract 4 teeth. I have told her I would like to wait and think about it, so she agreed. She told me if I choose not to extract, that my gums could tear due to crowding. Would you recommend not having the extractions? Something about them make me concerned, I have read where a few people regretted doing it as it changed the shape of their faces and caused more issues. Thanks!
Unfortunately I can not tell you wether or not to go through with it because even though I had a bad experience extractions it might have been the right call for others. If ur unsure you ask more orthodonists their opinion which i wish i had done, if ur gums are gonna tear up that is gonna lead to maybe problems down the line, the best way to go is seek more opinions on it so you can feel more confident with your decision, goodluck!

amanygh

#10 Post by amanygh »

Nozzelnut wrote:Extraction orthodontics in my teens eventually lead to obstructive sleep apnea in midlife. They should have done something different way back when; expanders, appliances, even surgery. The last 3 years have been a PITA fixing things that were primarily caused because of extractions and headgear.

If your jaws will be large enough to allow your tongue enough room to not impact your airway with extractions you should be good to go. But check with an ENT before proceeding. Ask your ortho about your airway and what will happen with extractions. If they say "you should be good;" keep asking questions.

There's a select few orthodontists that take everything into account. It's not just one thing; it's everything. Things are very inter-related in the mouth, nose and throat. Find an ortho that looks at the big picture; it's not just aesthetics and appearance.
I wish i had treatment when i was younger too it was clear i need braces since i was 10 using expanders when i was younger would have avoided so much of my current issues.

I agree, in my case i feel my ortho was dismissive, I once told him that my jaw has been popping more lately and he correlated it to stress from school and said it should go away which it hasn't.