Enamel ruined from braces removal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heidirs

Re: Enamel ruined from braces removal?

#16 Post by Heidirs »

Also interested in knowing how this was fixed. I've been told you can't fix ruined enamel.

Kinda horrified they remove the glue with a drill. Gez. There's no other method?

bracesforme

#17 Post by bracesforme »

This orthodontist taught me something that I didn't know. It all depends on the bur they use to take the glue off your teeth. When the cement from braces is put on your teeth, it becomes a permanent part of your enamel. It can not be removed without removing some enamel. Apparently, my original orthodontist used a rough bur to take off the glue, and once it was removed, it left my enamel with irregularities as shown in the picture. The reason some orthodontists use this bur is because it saves them money and most people don't notice it unless they're under the correct lighting and looking closely. The orthodontist I went to a few weeks ago to have them touched up, uses a smooth bur to remove the glue from your teeth, which leaves a surface very similar to regular tooth enamel that has never been modified. So essentially what she did was just go over my teeth as if they had glue on them, and because of the bur she used, it left my enamel looking normal and smooth again. I didn't feel a thing while she was performing the procedure, and to this day I still do not have sensitivity. However, when my original orthodontist was taking the glue off of my teeth, my teeth were sensitive during the procedure. I would see a different orthodontist if I were you. Preferably one that has been around for a while, has good reviews, and that appears to have rich people as his/her patients. They're more likely to use the smoother, more expensive bur to leave your enamel looking normal.

bracesforme

#18 Post by bracesforme »

But I do find it interesting how so many orthodontists will tell patients that enamel is not removed during the removal of braces. However, this one was so down to earth with me and just straight up told me that it was because the glue has to become a part of your tooth so that there is a strong bond between the bracket and your tooth, and when removed, the enamel is just smoothed out so that it looks like no enamel was removed and is all even. (Of course, as noted earlier, depending on the bur they use.) But of course the amount removed is a very small amount so I guess it's just easier for them to say that none is removed.

Heidirs

#19 Post by Heidirs »

bracesforme wrote:But I do find it interesting how so many orthodontists will tell patients that enamel is not removed during the removal of braces. However, this one was so down to earth with me and just straight up told me that it was because the glue has to become a part of your tooth so that there is a strong bond between the bracket and your tooth, and when removed, the enamel is just smoothed out so that it looks like no enamel was removed and is all even. (Of course, as noted earlier, depending on the bur they use.) But of course the amount removed is a very small amount so I guess it's just easier for them to say that none is removed.
This is seriously disturbing. I have sensitive teeth. I don't need more enamel removed even if it's a "small" amount. I wish orthodontists were more upfront about this. :(

bracesforme

#20 Post by bracesforme »

I feel the exact same way! They're always quick to tell your the benefits but will never mention the things that are in the fine print. I'm sorry that you're going through this!

Leeann1111

#21 Post by Leeann1111 »

I wouldn't have gotten braces if I knew that :( I paid my balance off and he took them off leaving my teeth awful. Two dentist told me they could fix it and one tried. This is how mine look. Link below.

My front teeth were already sensitive and it made it worse and I told the Ortho. I don't even know if I should try to get it fixed or leave it now. Is just very upsetting.

stuff.gl/0tyIxL Link.

Heidirs

#22 Post by Heidirs »

You'd think we'd have some better technology than let's grind this glue off your teeth.
Leeann1111 wrote:I wouldn't have gotten braces if I knew that :( I paid my balance off and he took them off leaving my teeth awful. Two dentist told me they could fix it and one tried. This is how mine look. Link below.

My front teeth were already sensitive and it made it worse and I told the Ortho. I don't even know if I should try to get it fixed or leave it now. Is just very upsetting.
I'm getting by braces for headaches, so I'm still going to do them, but gez. I'd ask about getting them fixed if you can.

Leeann1111

#23 Post by Leeann1111 »

I just moved but I emailed an ortho lastnight in my area to see what they could do but I don't think anything can :( I been using Sensodyne and MI Paste on the front tooth that is brothing me, it's not working. The pain went away for a couple days a few weeks ago but is back. I'm crossing my toes and fingers and knocking on wood it's going to okay.

FlowerPower

#24 Post by FlowerPower »

This makes me nervous because I have fillings on all 4 front teeth and now I'm afraid my tooth my break when they take the braces off. :| I also have ceramic braces and I know they're harder to remove.

Leeann1111

#25 Post by Leeann1111 »

I hope it doesn't happen to you, it's very depressing. I have an ortho apt on the 19th. I'm hoping they can fix my feet and tell my why my front right tooth is always hurting.

My other link didn't work here are photo is my teeth :(

http://THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR/2p0dxJK

Leeann1111

#26 Post by Leeann1111 »

I'm sorry the link I posted says spam :(

Heidirs

#27 Post by Heidirs »

Leeann1111 wrote:I just moved but I emailed an ortho lastnight in my area to see what they could do but I don't think anything can :( I been using Sensodyne and MI Paste on the front tooth that is brothing me, it's not working. The pain went away for a couple days a few weeks ago but is back. I'm crossing my toes and fingers and knocking on wood it's going to okay.
How often are you brushing with the sensitive toothpaste? I'd assume you should go for after every meal. You might be able to tailor it back after some time. And if you eat acidic food (like apples), you should rinse your mouth with water directly afterwards. I figured that out when I started eating apples again and couldn't figure out why my teeth hurt so much.

You might also try not brushing with toothpaste. Though, if you're teeth really hurt, you might not want to try that right away. The idea is that toothpaste gets rid of both the good and bad microbes in your mouth, so you should just brush without it and allow the good stuff to still do it's work. Thought it was crazy, but my teeth are whiter since I've tried it and I haven't needed the sensitive tooth paste.

I hope you get it fixed and feel better. This totally freaks me out.

Leeann1111

#28 Post by Leeann1111 »

I'll try not brushing with toothpaste again. I'm brushing after every meal, no sweets, no sugars very little bread and no fruits right now. I'm looking at my teeth to see what's causing it and I it has to be the drill marks. My teeth really weren't that sensitive before now the top right is, a stinging pain. Only think I can think of is the craze line cause from removal but was told I have no fractures.

Let me try to share the photos again.

This is before braces
http://i66.tinypic.com/294i8w8.jpg

This is after.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2iizxuf.jpg

The day before I got braces on my top I did a Charcaol whiteing and was glad to see how smooth they were. I didn't get bottom braces and those teeth are smooth. My apt is April 19th wish it was sooner but he looks like a good ortho.

bracesforme

#29 Post by bracesforme »

I think your teeth look amazing! I don't really see any reason to go to an orthodontist because the way your teeth look isn't really noticeable, at least to me. However, if something bothers you, nothing anyone else says or does it going to change that. So if it bothers you now, it's probably going to always bother you, so you should get them fixed, just so you'll be happy. However, just remember that your teeth are beautiful!