I want them off!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissLou

I want them off!!

#1 Post by MissLou »

I'm still struggling with having braces on my teeth. I have Damon Clear with white wires but they feel so bulky and obvious to me. I don't laugh or smile properly in public anymore so I come across as awkward/reserved, which isn't the "real" me. My ortho originally said my treatment would be 1 year to 18 months but probably nearer to 18 months. I'm not even six months in :( I keep thinking I want to get them taken off. And maybe asking for lingual braces instead. But that would involve me taking out a loan for a lot of $$$$.

Rebeccasmells

Re: I want them off!!

#2 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Have you asked your friends/family if they look bulky?

Inside braces have their negatives as well.

MissLou

#3 Post by MissLou »

Yes and they politely say it's not noticeable! Someone on my office said she hadn't noticed I had them. But I know others have. Whenever I see a stranger/someone I don't know well looking at my mouth (the braces) I feel so self conscious!

pcspinheiro

#4 Post by pcspinheiro »

I'm relatively new to the forum, and don't want to sound harsh here, but I just wish people wouldn't care so much about what others think or don't think. They would live much happier lives if they were doing things to please (or treat) THEMSELVES. I put on braces at 38, never thought I would EVER do it because I couldn't care less about crooked teeth or what others thought of them. Only did it because of teeth wearing out and causing pain. However, now that I do have braces, I smile like I did before and don't care about others looking at them or my ugly extraction gap behind one canine. I even had fuchsia-colored elastics put on them this time (the ones that "hug" around the wire on each bracket) just to please my 6 year old girl, and most often I choose blue or green ones. Even the ortho asked many times if I was sure about that. In case you haven't figured out yet, I'm a man.

Those who love you will truly not judge or care that you have them on, even if they lie saying "Oh, I never even noticed". Of course they did. Does it matter that they show? Nope. Does it matter that people at work notice? Nope. Does it matter that you want them and have your good reasons to have them? Absolutely! And it's nobody's business but your own.

FlowerPower

#5 Post by FlowerPower »

I have ceramic braces (NOT Damo) but I remember the first week feeling SO depressed. I even made a thread on here asking if anyone had switched over to metal before. :lol: I almost couldn't hold my mouth shut, couldn't talk properly and they just felt so damn big! However, it does get better. A month in and I can hardly tell they're there. I can also talk in them and sometimes I wonder how the heck I was able to do that!!! Aside from that, the braces never bothered me. My teeth were so messed up, I would prefer a braced mouth over my old mouth any day!

Rebeccasmells

#6 Post by Rebeccasmells »

MissLou wrote:Yes and they politely say it's not noticeable! Someone on my office said she hadn't noticed I had them. But I know others have. Whenever I see a stranger/someone I don't know well looking at my mouth (the braces) I feel so self conscious!
When you speak to someone they look at your mouth to see what you are saying. It's 100% normal.

Rebeccasmells

#7 Post by Rebeccasmells »

pcspinheiro wrote:I'm relatively new to the forum, and don't want to sound harsh here, but I just wish people wouldn't care so much about what others think or don't think. They would live much happier lives if they were doing things to please (or treat) THEMSELVES. I put on braces at 38, never thought I would EVER do it because I couldn't care less about crooked teeth or what others thought of them. Only did it because of teeth wearing out and causing pain. However, now that I do have braces, I smile like I did before and don't care about others looking at them or my ugly extraction gap behind one canine. I even had fuchsia-colored elastics put on them this time (the ones that "hug" around the wire on each bracket) just to please my 6 year old girl, and most often I choose blue or green ones. Even the ortho asked many times if I was sure about that. In case you haven't figured out yet, I'm a man.

Those who love you will truly not judge or care that you have them on, even if they lie saying "Oh, I never even noticed". Of course they did. Does it matter that they show? Nope. Does it matter that people at work notice? Nope. Does it matter that you want them and have your good reasons to have them? Absolutely! And it's nobody's business but your own.
Yes this. Although I think pink braces on a guy is OTT lol.

Tyrantblade

#8 Post by Tyrantblade »

I have learned to not care so much what anybody thinks of anything (unless I ask them about something or talk about it at length (like a hobby)), it's really not such a big deal and the sooner you learn this virtue the better.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Beckett

#9 Post by Beckett »

What I've observed, is that yes, other people NOTICE that you have braces, I mean people aren't blind, but they just simply don't CARE about it enough to give it much more than a second thought beyond "oh, braces". Much like noticing "oh, that's a red car" as they drive down the road.

Hang in there, sounds like you're at least a quarter of the way through. I personally think lingual braces are overkill just because you don't want anyone to see them. You'll talk different with anything on your teeth no matter where they're located. It gets easier, you get used to it, and before you know it you're done and have a beautiful new smile.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

djspeece

#10 Post by djspeece »

Give yourself time. I wasn't crazy about the look either. True, people really don't notice them, but braces are a challenge. I had mine for three years (original plan was two), and what I hated most was seeing pictures of me smiling -- which I like to do -- the braces made my teeth look a bit gray, like I had some really nasty dental issues. I should mention that I do have a vanity issue, I suppose -- or at least a ego one. I'm not really right, lol :gavel: :crazy: . But back to your issue: hang in there and keep the end game in mind. I applaud those who get colored elastics and what not, but I did not want to call any more attention to my oral cavity then was absolutely necessary. Hopefully you'll come to at least tolerate them. The worst part is over, you made the decision, you got the braces, and you are well into your treatment plan. Hang in there and best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Steph30

#11 Post by Steph30 »

I'm super nervous I will feel this way too, but I agree with everyone elses comments - this is a short time in your life and you need to keep your mind on the prize! Try not to worry what other people may think. Hope this feeling eases for you!! (and I hope when I get mine on I am able to take my own advice) :)

cocomacd

#12 Post by cocomacd »

pcspinheiro wrote:I'm relatively new to the forum, and don't want to sound harsh here, but I just wish people wouldn't care so much about what others think or don't think. They would live much happier lives if they were doing things to please (or treat) THEMSELVES. I put on braces at 38, never thought I would EVER do it because I couldn't care less about crooked teeth or what others thought of them. Only did it because of teeth wearing out and causing pain. However, now that I do have braces, I smile like I did before and don't care about others looking at them or my ugly extraction gap behind one canine. I even had fuchsia-colored elastics put on them this time (the ones that "hug" around the wire on each bracket) just to please my 6 year old girl, and most often I choose blue or green ones. Even the ortho asked many times if I was sure about that. In case you haven't figured out yet, I'm a man.

Yeeeeesss!!!! This!

I was self conscience at first, but now I've got pink bands and find myself smiling bigger just so I can show them off! It's all in how you look at it! Be proud of the steps you have taken and own it! Braces are not for the faint of heart!!! Hope you feel better soon!
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

jaime

#13 Post by jaime »

Love all these comments and I agree fully. Considering the fact people don't notice when you get them off, that should tell you everything. They might know logically you have them, but they're not really seeing them when they look at you.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Pammy

#14 Post by Pammy »

Hi there, I have the clear braces too and found them really bulky in the beginning. You will get used to them in no time, the hardest thing I find about them is not eating curry :-( lol

FlyByNight

#15 Post by FlyByNight »

Personally, I felt better than the people without braces because I knew I would have a beautiful smile in the end. So I showed them off when I smiled.