Second molar band almost at the end of treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sara2238

Second molar band almost at the end of treatment?

#1 Post by sara2238 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:27 pm

I have been wearing my braces for about 9 months now and I recently brought up that my second molars are starting to get crooked. My ortho was supposed to point it out but he never cares to look at my teeth for himself and check what needs to be done so he said that I needed to get my wisdoms out to get the second molar band. He never told me this so I thought I needed them off. I come in the next time and he said that I have to wear spacers and then come in after 4 days to get the second molar bands on. I was confused but it didn't matter to me because I didn't get my wisdoms out yet anyways and I didn't want to further my treatment. But now my question is, how come he waits until the last minute to put them on and will that prolong my treatment drastically? I mean it's better than never getting them on but why did he wait so long instead of putting them on the same time he put my first molar bands. Now I have to go through the pain of spacers again because he is so unorganized and uncaring. Please let me know if anyone went through the same experience

Thanks

DrJasonKTam

Re: Second molar band almost at the end of treatment?

#2 Post by DrJasonKTam » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:22 pm

It is not uncommon to line up the 2nd molars towards the end of treatment. This is because they are usually quite quick to line up and it is often more comfortable to not have a band/bracket so far back in the mouth for the duration of the treatment. As your treatment has been about 9 months, it doesn't sound like your treatment has been that long when compared to an average orthodontic treatment.

Please bring up this concern with your orthodontist and they should be able to help you further. Hope this helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

sara2238

Re: Second molar band almost at the end of treatment?

#3 Post by sara2238 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm

[quote="DrJasonKTam"]It is not uncommon to line up the 2nd molars towards the end of treatment. This is because they are usually quite quick to line up and it is often more comfortable to not have a band/bracket so far back in the mouth for the duration of the treatment. As your treatment has been about 9 months, it doesn't sound like your treatment has been that long when compared to an average orthodontic treatment.

Please bring up this concern with your orthodontist and they should be able to help you further. Hope this helps![/quote]

Thank you for your reply. My treatment was only supposed to be 12 months and I'm at 9 months right now so that's why I was confused why he waited until the last minute, and that is because I mentioned it. He wasn't going to put it at all. I feel like my orthodontist doesn't understand my concerns at all. I also noticed that my jaw shifted to the right which messed up my midline and he said it looks fine, which it doesnt! My teeth are hanging off on the right side and on the left they look good. I did wear class 2 elasics on the left so I think that's what caused it. I kept telling him it bothers me so he gave me an elastic to wear as triangles on the right side only. I dont know if that will actually help the midline or to shift back my jaw correctly Is there any way I can email you or contact you to talk to you about this because I would like some professional advice.