Underdeveloped maxilla (top arch)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

T1braces

Underdeveloped maxilla (top arch)

#1 Post by T1braces »

Its been suggested my top arch is narrow. Im currently half way through metal braces top and teeth and my teeth are being lifted out slightly with some teeth being turned on the top. I have triangle shaped teeth so considering veneers top 10 teeth to cover small gaps and to widen my smile. Slightly disappointed that out of all my dental life, no-one had pointed out this problem of my top arch. It has various health issues inc breathing etc. Anyone else has a narrow top arch and what are you doing about it ?

godutch

Re: Underdeveloped maxilla (top arch)

#2 Post by godutch »

T1braces wrote:Its been suggested my top arch is narrow. Im currently half way through metal braces top and teeth and my teeth are being lifted out slightly with some teeth being turned on the top. I have triangle shaped teeth so considering veneers top 10 teeth to cover small gaps and to widen my smile. Slightly disappointed that out of all my dental life, no-one had pointed out this problem of my top arch. It has various health issues inc breathing etc. Anyone else has a narrow top arch and what are you doing about it ?
I have a narrow omega shaped maxilla, with a slight class ii2 and deep bite. I am really having trouble breathing during exercise now, with a more U shaped maxilla. Hopefully it's temporary but my lips have a lot of trouble to build up enough pressure for exhalation

geeky1978

#3 Post by geeky1978 »

Had a very narrow palate before braces (but thankfully it was mostly dental) so things have really widened out with just archwires alone. I was researching palatal expanders prior to braces and I'm glad I didn't go with that option.

T1braces

#4 Post by T1braces »

geeky1978 wrote:Had a very narrow palate before braces (but thankfully it was mostly dental) so things have really widened out with just archwires alone. I was researching palatal expanders prior to braces and I'm glad I didn't go with that option.

My top arch has widened slightly due to teeth lifting. But when you research well-being and health issues due to a narrow top arch it's quite enlightening. Problems with breathing and the muscles in the face being weaker due to the arch not wide enough. Mind you I can now fit my tongue in the top arch for the first time, which is a good thing.

I

godutch

#5 Post by godutch »

T1braces wrote:
geeky1978 wrote:Had a very narrow palate before braces (but thankfully it was mostly dental) so things have really widened out with just archwires alone. I was researching palatal expanders prior to braces and I'm glad I didn't go with that option.

My top arch has widened slightly due to teeth lifting. But when you research well-being and health issues due to a narrow top arch it's quite enlightening. Problems with breathing and the muscles in the face being weaker due to the arch not wide enough. Mind you I can now fit my tongue in the top arch for the first time, which is a good thing.

I
I would but in to that too much. Kids become mouth breather because of nasal passage obstruction due to chronic infection. Mouth breathing kids often will need ortho because they develop a clockwise class II1 profile because of the open mouth their maxillla will grow in a clockwise manner (with gummy smile and long facial profile) forcing the maxilla to follow. Fixing their bite won't fix their nasal passage obstruction nor mouth breathing habit