Will braces fix an 11mm over jet?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutiepie2404

Will braces fix an 11mm over jet?

#1 Post by cutiepie2404 »

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I'm a teenager and I wonder if braces can fix my over jet. I've researched this topic for months, and the general consensus is probably not --surgery or extractions are needed. I /reaaaalllyy/ can't get jaw surgery right now. It's way too expensive for my mother and my mother doesn't like the idea. I'd rather not get extractions, either, but if it is an absolute must...

I don't have "TMJ" issues. I think I used to grind my teeth at night when I was younger but I don't do that anymore. My jaw doesn't hurt at all and it doesn't look "underdeveloped". My front teeth are massive and horrible and they rest on my lower lip. They're obvious but not so much when I'm talking from the side. (If someone were to look at me talking from my profile they can't quite tell, my bottom lip kinda disguises it???) My teeth are pretty straight other than very very minor crooked bottom teeth. I take care of my teeth properly and I brush 2x a day and diligently floss nightly.

I'm going to see an ortho after I fill a molar around May. I'm extremely anxious and I want to know what you all think, though. I've had braces before when I was 9 (I know... Crazy, right?) but I had them taken off befor my teeth were corrected because I wasn't finished losing my baby teeth. I didn't wear my retainer so my teeth got worse than before. My family went through financial struggles so braces weren't a priority. I grew with major confidence issues because of my teeth but now we're getting back on our feet, so braces are up again! I'm still going through puberty (14 y/o, late bloomer...), so do you think I could correct my 11mm over jet without jaw surgery and possibly extractions?

Thanks in advance!

godutch

Re: Will braces fix an 11mm over jet?

#2 Post by godutch »

Maybe with something like this but if you are a girl it could already be too late. If you really do have very large teeth extractions could work for you

https://www.google.nl/search?q=activato ... 12&bih=628

cutiepie2404

#3 Post by cutiepie2404 »

[quote="godutch"]Maybe with something like this but if you are a girl it could already be too late. If you really do have very large teeth extractions could work for you

https://www.google.nl/search?q=activato ... 12&bih=628[/quote]

Aw, man, I am a girl... Lol I thought I could get away with fit since I'm a late bloomer w/ puberty but I haven't grown in height in like... A year I believe, so maybe it really is too late. :( thanks for the response, though!

cutiepie2404

#4 Post by cutiepie2404 »

would anyone else like to put forth their opinion :/ i'm still slightly curious of what others think :-)

cutiepie2404

#5 Post by cutiepie2404 »

Bump??? :-)

FlowerPower

#6 Post by FlowerPower »

Try signing up for reddit and posting on r/braces or r/dentistry. They may be able to give you a better answer there.