Unexplainable...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jkim

Unexplainable...

#1 Post by jkim »

I just got braces today and about an hour later I noticed that I couldnt close my mouth fully. I look in the mirror and I see that the 2nd to last tooth (both sides) has been severely pointed. Only 1/4 of the tooth is raised about 1 1/2 centiemeters. At first I thought it was something that the orthodontist glued so they can fix my over bite. But, the more I play with it the more it seems like part of an actual tooth, it feels the same way a tooth does and it doesnt budge when I try to move it. But theres somethings I dont understand, such as how can my tooth change that drastically in one day, and there is some color difference between the actual tooth and the pointed part. Does anyone know whats happened or what it is?

Beckett

Re: Unexplainable...

#2 Post by Beckett »

Sounds like a molar buildup so you can't bite down all the way. That's their intended purpose, usually so you don't bite into brackets while your teeth are shifting. There's no way your tooth could uproot a centimeter and a half without actually falling out, not to mention you being in severe pain. So my vote is a tooth colored molar build up.

Not very professional of your orthodontist to do that and not explain to you what it is.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

jkim

#3 Post by jkim »

Thank you for your answer! But this molar buildup is bothering me because it's not allowing me to chew and talk properly. Is this something the orthodontist removes at another appointment or is this something that dissolves away as time goes by?

testimony777

#4 Post by testimony777 »

From my understanding they don't dissolve, they must be removed by the ortho. You should give your orthodontist a call and let her/him know the issue you are having.
Braced: March 18, 2016
De-bonded : December 29, 2017 (22 months out of the 18-24 month treatment plan I was given)
Retainers: Fixed on top and bottom/ Clear, removable for nighttime wear

godutch

#5 Post by godutch »

jkim wrote:Thank you for your answer! But this molar buildup is bothering me because it's not allowing me to chew and talk properly. Is this something the orthodontist removes at another appointment or is this something that dissolves away as time goes by?
I needed them for almost 5 months, the were the most annoying part of the treatment. You could ask if they can lower them a bit but it depends on the situation. I had mine removed but after a few weeks I suddenly started biting on my premolar cuspids and it was very painful, so I had new bumps placed

Nozzelnut

#6 Post by Nozzelnut »

They will wear slightly, but they keep you from biting the brackets off or cracking teeth. Not fun at all; I had mine on for about a year until I had surgery. The build ups might break after they've worn some; keep an eye on them so you don't damage your teeth.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

verso

#7 Post by verso »

Yep! Sounds like a molar build-up, and I won't sugarcoat it for you: They SUCK! I remember that first week thinking, "am I ever going to be able to chew anything?" Eventually, you learn. But it took me a long time before I felt comfortable with them.

Shelleyt

#8 Post by Shelleyt »

When did everyone have the molar build ups removed? I'm at a little over six months and mine are still on. They do bother me because they are the type that is just composite put on the front top of two of my molars (think pointier than the blue stuff I have seen here) Do you have to ask if you are able to have them filed off (or at least down) or do they just do it when it's time? I feel like most people on here only had them a few months.

godutch

#9 Post by godutch »

Shelleyt wrote:When did everyone have the molar build ups removed? I'm at a little over six months and mine are still on. They do bother me because they are the type that is just composite put on the front top of two of my molars (think pointier than the blue stuff I have seen here) Do you have to ask if you are able to have them filed off (or at least down) or do they just do it when it's time? I feel like most people on here only had them a few months.
they don't wear down significantly over time, so they need to be removed. I asked and got them removed but during treatmentI suddenly started needing them again when my lower jaw was expanding faster than my upper jaw and I started having very painful cuspid to cuspid bite(one reason for them) other reasons are biting on brackets or fixing a forced bite

verso

#10 Post by verso »

Shelleyt wrote:When did everyone have the molar build ups removed? I'm at a little over six months and mine are still on. They do bother me because they are the type that is just composite put on the front top of two of my molars (think pointier than the blue stuff I have seen here) Do you have to ask if you are able to have them filed off (or at least down) or do they just do it when it's time? I feel like most people on here only had them a few months.
I want to say I had them on for 4 months? 4 or 5 months. It was weird because I had gotten used to them.