Cost of Braces Production?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Post Reply
Message
Author
TylerWithBraces
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Cost of Braces Production?

#1 Post by TylerWithBraces » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:24 am

Hey guys. This is on off the wall question but I couldn't find it anywhere online. I was just thinking; on average braces cost about $4000. How much does it cost for the orthodontist offices to buy the brackets & wires? Perhaps the cost of producing the parts?

The average prices clearly reflects that it is expensive (or else they wouldn't charge so much). Does anyone have any clue?

My morbid curiosity lol

Twangsnap
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:29 am

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#2 Post by Twangsnap » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:25 pm

No idea what the wholesale cost of the braces would be but presumably it's just one of many costs that are factored into an overall price (including the orthodontist's time, dental assistants' time, running costs of the practice, equipment, insurance, etc) so it's not necessarily that the braces themselves are pricey but rather the significant investment of time, equipment, human and other resources that go into a full orthodontic treatment.

My treatment is costing around €1400 so a lot cheaper than the US I think. So perhaps litigation insurance is a big cost for you there...?
Image

Plainj
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#3 Post by Plainj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:53 pm

I was just looking this up today myself lol. I found one site that listed the price of a bracket at $1.09-$2+. I'll see if I can find it again & post it.

DrJasonKTam
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:50 pm
Location: Toronto and Markham
Contact:

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 am

The cost of the actual materials in a treatment can vary on the order of a couple hundred to a thousand dollars. When it comes to Invisalign, we're looking at up to a couple of thousand. As mentioned above, the cost of the treatment itself is not dependent on materials, but rather the costs involved in the service provided as well as the expertise to deliver the results. This is part of why even amongst offices, there is going to be a difference in cost for treatment. We often explain to patients that they are not buying the braces but buying a service to get towards a specific result, with differing results depending on who is doing the treatment, and how it is planned out.

A good analogy for this would be to ask how much a consultant's materials cost when they work on a project for a company. Most of them time the materials are minimal, but what is being paid for is the thought process and direction towards an end goal.

Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

TylerWithBraces
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#5 Post by TylerWithBraces » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:33 pm

I paid $3040 in cash for my braces. I decided to not go with monthly payments haha. Anyways I definitely agree that you are primarily paying for the expertise of the orthodontist. I feel as if the actual braces material couldn't be anymore than $1000.

Quick tip: getting orthodontics at a school rather than an "established" practice is much cheaper, with little trade-offs in term of expertise. Schools are just as good as a more expensive office.

User avatar
djspeece
Posts: 1884
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:36 am
Location: Mt Airy, Maryland, USA

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#6 Post by djspeece » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:32 am

DrJasonKTam wrote:The cost of the actual materials in a treatment can vary on the order of a couple hundred to a thousand dollars. When it comes to Invisalign, we're looking at up to a couple of thousand. As mentioned above, the cost of the treatment itself is not dependent on materials, but rather the costs involved in the service provided as well as the expertise to deliver the results. This is part of why even amongst offices, there is going to be a difference in cost for treatment. We often explain to patients that they are not buying the braces but buying a service to get towards a specific result, with differing results depending on who is doing the treatment, and how it is planned out.

A good analogy for this would be to ask how much a consultant's materials cost when they work on a project for a company. Most of them time the materials are minimal, but what is being paid for is the thought process and direction towards an end goal.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your response, Dr. Tam! Makes sense to me.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

BlondeCam
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#7 Post by BlondeCam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:10 pm

TylerWithBraces wrote:I paid $3040 in cash for my braces. I decided to not go with monthly payments haha. Anyways I definitely agree that you are primarily paying for the expertise of the orthodontist. I feel as if the actual braces material couldn't be anymore than $1000.

Quick tip: getting orthodontics at a school rather than an "established" practice is much cheaper, with little trade-offs in term of expertise. Schools are just as good as a more expensive office.
This is exactly what I'm doing :) my case is "simple", a re-treat from not wearing my retainers as a teenager. I'm going to Jacksonville University school of Orthodontics for ceramics. The cost is $2,300. Unsure of what it would be at a private practice. The school estimates they offer services at 30%.

Tyrantblade
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#8 Post by Tyrantblade » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 pm

TylerWithBraces wrote:I paid $3040 in cash for my braces. I decided to not go with monthly payments haha. Anyways I definitely agree that you are primarily paying for the expertise of the orthodontist. I feel as if the actual braces material couldn't be anymore than $1000.

Quick tip: getting orthodontics at a school rather than an "established" practice is much cheaper, with little trade-offs in term of expertise. Schools are just as good as a more expensive office.
In my case a nearby dental school was not much cheaper than a regular Orthodontist office (like $300 difference), and financing was easier at the Orthodontist office (the dental school only worked with Care Credit)
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Image

User avatar
Nozzelnut
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#9 Post by Nozzelnut » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:43 am

Strangely enough Amazon sells brackets. From a brief search; $3.50ish a set. But; it's like drinking at a bar; you're paying for the "ambiance." You're paying for the knowledge, experience, training, equipment, tools, computers, staff, and everything else you see in the office that allows your ortho to treat you efficiently.
Upper ceramics 5/21/14, Lower stainless 5/28/14
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15. Estimated time Jan 2016; still on at my 2 year anniversary...

Braces removed 7/20/18; upper and lower Hawley and Essix retainers with bonded lower too.

I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics! It's easier for the orthodontist; not better for the patient!!!

User avatar
djspeece
Posts: 1884
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:36 am
Location: Mt Airy, Maryland, USA

Re: Cost of Braces Production?

#10 Post by djspeece » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Nozzelnut wrote:Strangely enough Amazon sells brackets. From a brief search; $3.50ish a set. But; it's like drinking at a bar; you're paying for the "ambiance." You're paying for the knowledge, experience, training, equipment, tools, computers, staff, and everything else you see in the office that allows your ortho to treat you efficiently.
:gavel: I have never heard that comparison but I think it is terrific! :-**
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Post Reply