The truth about extractions. Share your Good and Bad stories? [with pictures]

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bdsfkw

The truth about extractions. Share your Good and Bad stories? [with pictures]

#1 Post by bdsfkw »

My orthodontist suggest I have 4 premolars removed, two in each jaw. I'm scared and getting more scared as I read about potential side-effects. I'm wondering how frequent these issues occur and what to expect.

I thus think it would be nice to make a common thread with examples and stories both of positive and negative experiences. This should help settle the likelihood of extractions resulting in issue and which kind of problems are most frequent. The issues I've head of so far, and is worrying about are:

1) Facial changes:
---1a) Sunken in face
---1b) Collapsed profile
---1c) Slimmer face
2) Pre-mature aging
3) Thinning of lips
4) TMJ
5) Restricted airway passage
6) Migraines

Please share your, others or celebrity stories with before and after images both if you had a good or bad experience.

Braces2017

Re: The truth about extractions. Share your Good and Bad stories? [with pictures]

#2 Post by Braces2017 »

I had two teeth removed from my upper jaw a few weeks ago. I was just as scared. It wasn't as bad in the end as all the fears I put in my head and I now have braces on. The dentist took a tooth on each side 3rd from the back. It bled for a couple of hours but wasn't a huge blood loss. So far I've had no problems with the missing teeth and the gum heeled well because I didn't touch it or eat anything to aggravated it. They numb the area really well and all you feel is them pulling on it and a pop (the pop is not painful) I don't know the long term effects from the missing teeth yet and I don't know what it will be like when they close in the gap. I had them removed to fix an overjet.

SoulfulRetreat

Re: The truth about extractions. Share your Good and Bad stories? [with pictures]

#3 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

I have read the same stories and it is scary. To be honest I have my braces scheduled to be applied over 2 months ago and cancelled for this very reason. I thought to myself, oh I think I can just live with it. But, the more I think about it, the more I would love to have a decent smile. Hopefully, what we have read with not be a reality for either of us. I wish you the best of luck!

pw1981

#4 Post by pw1981 »

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed then braces 2 years ago.
Now I have sunken face, thin lips, faster aging, airway problem

pcspinheiro

#5 Post by pcspinheiro »

I was due to have 2 upper premolars removed. Unfortunately I only realized what I may have been getting into AFTER one was gone... (insert sad face here). So I talked to the ortho and told her no more extractions for me, regardless of the end result, I was not there for aesthetics anyway and could't care less about ending with an overjet. I'm already a poor breather and retracting my front teeth all that much (I have pretty large first premolars) couldn't do me any good. She wasn't happy about it, of course, but i STRONGLY believe that was the right choice and now that she sees my progress she probably ses it my way too, she just wont admit to it (last appointment she was commenting about how good my end result will be). I just wish I had all the information BEFORE I agreed to extractions, would probably end up just as well AND keep that healthy tooth... for an actual scientist I was a pretty big dumb-ass not to do any homework on this. My 2 cent to anyone who gets told to extract healthy teeth: think about it long and hard BEFORE you do it, look for alternatives (these days they can move teeth back with TADs and possibly avoid extractions, so consider this too) and don't settle jus for the one opinion telling you to remove healthy teeth "because it's the only way"; it mot likely isn't!

UnhappyCamper

#6 Post by UnhappyCamper »

One day I will share my story in a lengthy post when I've finished my treatment. I had four bicuspid extractions for braces three years ago. I am currently undergoing a reversal because of the damage it has caused my face. I am a 30 year old female. This whole journey has been so traumatic and I am taking legal action (there are quite a number of us doing this together) which is another additional trauma. If you decide to go down the extraction route I would advise you take clear photos and facial videos every day of treatment as I luckily did so you can prove any negative changes if these occur. I also advise you get facial analysis software algorithms during all stages of treatment (which is what another girl has luckily done and is one the reasons our legal team have now taken on our case).

Heidirs

#7 Post by Heidirs »

This was a good thread to start. I'm interested in hearing people's stories. Ortho doesn't think I'll need extractions, but I'm worried I just might not have enough room and need them anyway.

miluti

#8 Post by miluti »

I just had my upper right canine pulled 4 days ago - my lower right was pulled in Feb of this year (I was braced in Sept 2016). I have been lucky and haven't had any real side effects. Some pain, yes, but no facial changes, no complications - nada. These were my 7th and 8th extractions over my lifetime (the left upper/lower canines and my four wisdom teeth were all pulled as a child/adolescent) and hopefully the end!

As far as we're aware, I won't need any more extractions; the only reason the right canines were pulled was so they can put my front teeth back to my midline, instead of pushed to the left due to years of shifting.

This image shows the changes from the day after my bottom right canine extraction (Feb 10, 2017) to today (June 5, 2017). It's become apparent how difficult it is to get clear photos of your teeth/mouth since getting these suckers put on. :wink: :lol:

http://imgur.com/a/1hC1M

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

pcspinheiro

#9 Post by pcspinheiro »

Pulling out canines??? What??? I will go and wash my face with some ice and be right back...

I'm back and I still can't believe it. Sorry, not being sarcastic, just in disbelief... I could not imagine these would ever be taken out...

miluti

#10 Post by miluti »

pcspinheiro wrote:Pulling out canines??? What??? I will go and wash my face with some ice and be right back...

I'm back and I still can't believe it. Sorry, not being sarcastic, just in disbelief... I could not imagine these would ever be taken out...
Yeah unfortunately the top left was a 'fang' and the options were pull it, or get braces. My parents couldn't afford the latter, so out it came. The bottom left emerged late (broke through when I was 16ish) - it was coming in behind the rest of my teeth (I'm part shark, apparently) - dentist and ortho surgeon said it's gonna cause infection and impair my tongue, so it had to come out. They had to break it into 3 pieces...(pulled it when I was out cold for my 4 impacted wisdom teeth).

Sooooo, fast-forward to my consultation for braces: pull the other two to give me two middle teeth again (everything moved to the left to fill the gaps and my middle right tooth twisted a bit. At some angles it looked like I had one middle tooth), or leave it alone. It makes me incredibly self conscious, so I told them to pull the buggers. BOOM - no wisdom teeth, no canines.

....I have more photos if you're interested. ;) Hahaha :GapToothed:

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

Lovespain5

#11 Post by Lovespain5 »

Do you initially suffer from bimax protrusion or crowding?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

cmatthews26

#12 Post by cmatthews26 »

I had 5 teeth pulled about a year and a half ago and my braces were put on 3 weeks after that. So far during my treatment I've seen nothing but positive changes. I was definitely worried at first but, I can't say I regret it.

Ruthio

#13 Post by Ruthio »

I have had 2 top first premolars removed a couple of weeks back. My braces go on on Thursday 17th (less than a week to go!) Ortho said she would try not to remove bottom teeth, because I have an overbite & overjet, but they are quite crowded, too.
I will share my progress here, if you'd like to see.
I imagine that my face will not sink inwards because it already sticks out too much on my top lip area imo. I have "fangs" and quite crowded.

Lovespain5

#14 Post by Lovespain5 »

cmatthews26 wrote:I had 5 teeth pulled about a year and a half ago and my braces were put on 3 weeks after that. So far during my treatment I've seen nothing but positive changes. I was definitely worried at first but, I can't say I regret it.
Yeah, I have a very nice experience even if I was worried of the side effects too. My 4 first bicuspids were extracted because of bimax protrusion and lip incompetence and now I'm debraced for one year. I wore braces with powerchains and elastics.
Here are some photos : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=50304
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Ruthio

#15 Post by Ruthio »

[quote="Lovespain5"]My 4 first bicuspids were extracted because of bimax protrusion and lip incompetence and now I'm debraced for one year. I wore braces with powerchains and elastics.
Here are some photos : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=50304[/quote]

This is really reassuring for me. Hoping to get full board privileges soon so that I can see your progress pics!
Like I said above, I've had 2 premolars out, & may need 2 more out depending on how treatment goes. I am beyond excited to get started on my dental transformation, starting this Thursday (17th Aug).