Can open coil springs come loose?.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bumbleb79

Can open coil springs come loose?.

#1 Post by bumbleb79 »

Hello
I've had my brace little over a week now and last night when I was cleaning my teeth, I was looking at my coil spring and it looked to have a weird kink in it but just when I looked at it from a certain angle. I tapped the spring gently and there seemed to be a bit of give in it so then it got me worried that it was coming loose!!
The arch wire looks to be threaded through the coil and the elastic bands on either side look to be intact so it doesn't look like it's going to come off but it's made me wonder if the coil has sort of uncoiled slightly?.
Is that what happens when it's doing its thing, I've never had a coil Spring before so don't know what to expect with them
Not only that, the whole wire doesn't feel very tight now like when it was first put on (I'm guessing it's the thinnest wire) so now I'm thinking is it still even moving my teeth......?????

jem

Re: Can open coil springs come loose?.

#2 Post by jem »

Can you post a picture? I can't see how there could be any problem if all is intact as you describe. You could always call your ortho for reassurance. They will probably be happy for you to go in for a quick look.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

bumbleb79

#3 Post by bumbleb79 »

To be honest, even if I took a picture it wouldn't come out very well plus you can't really tell. I don't know if I felt it more as my lip feels dry and it was just dragging against the coil...
It still bothers me how I've not really had any pain after I've read people on here who have been in agony the first week or so. I've just felt pressure in the odd tooth but not all at the same time so don't know if that's because it's only a thin wire and the fun will begin once he starts shaving the teeth down and puts thicker wires on?

jem

#4 Post by jem »

Hi B,

As you know, orthodontics relies on the constant application of low forces on the teeth. Therefore experiencing pain from having brackets and wires should be the exception rather than normal. But I appreciate that starting off the process of moving teeth in adults might be a shock to the system and cause pain in some people. Also some people probably have more sensitive nervous systems than others. Obviously starting with a bigger wire or powerchains or elastics will also involve some initial increase of force so might again be associated with some pain for the more sensitive.

I never had anything more than the feeling of pressure that you describe and I imagine many others on this board will say the same. So don't worry, your teeth will nevertheless be moving. By the time of your first adjustment, you will notice that your wire is straighter than when you began. Thicker wires and wires with a rectangular profile can exert more force, so your orthodontist will not place those wires until your teeth have straightened out to the extent that placing those bigger wires will still only apply acceptably low forces.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194