How to tell people I've got braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weirdkidhere

How to tell people I've got braces?

#1 Post by weirdkidhere »

This is a stupid question but I just got braces today and haven't told anyone about it. I'm self conscious about it because my teeth aren't really bad - they're a bit crowded at the bottom and my top eye teeth sit high up - and I feel like I'm a bit old because I'm nearly 20.

I'm nervous especially about going to work because I'm really awkward and don't talk to people much. I'm worried they'll be like "huh why did you get braces??" or just act super surprised. I hate attention but I really want nice teeth *sigh*

I know it'll only take a few days at work to get used to it but I can't help worrying about it and fretting about what to say to people. Any advice? :/

Rhea2017

Re: How to tell people I've got braces?

#2 Post by Rhea2017 »

Hello,

To make you a lil bit better, I just had mine too last week and I am 31yrs old. My friends are teasing me that my parents are getting strict and they needed to put a fence on me (I just smile on them) :) :) :) .

They will get used to it in a few days , don't worry.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I didn't say anything in advance except to my assistant. A lot of people don't even notice. And I certainly didn't feel the need to fill people in on my motivation, although for those who I deemed especially snarky I simply looked them in the eye and said "I wanted to have the nicest smile in the cemetery" (I'm 66 now). That usually ended that line of questioning pronto. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Bracingfor33

#4 Post by Bracingfor33 »

I feel ya. I go back tomorrow. My close Co workers know, but everyone else will probably be all like, "what!!," And make a big deal(also hate.) But I figure, I'm doing this for me. Point blank. If they say something, I'll just say I wanted a nice smile. Thankfully your not in high school
anymore. Adults tend to be more empathetic (#adultperk) ;) Best of luck!!

Nozzelnut

#5 Post by Nozzelnut »

Don't say anything; you'll find out how few people really notice. If they ask when you got them; tell them "A couple weeks ago; thanks for noticing..." It will put them on the defensive and they'll change the subject.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

littlething

#6 Post by littlething »

Honestly? You'll be surprised about how few people care - or even notice!

weirdkidhere

#7 Post by weirdkidhere »

Thanks everyone, this made me feel better :)

Tyrantblade

#8 Post by Tyrantblade »

Personally I think people don't really need to know about you getting braces, but they will most likely find out eventually anyways (if they are a coworker or family member anyways), and if they are somebody close to you; you might end up talking to them about it anyways.

I just want to echo that so few people care (regardless of if they notice or not), and you should be comfortable in that your 1 main reason that you got braces is for yourself.

Even though I may have been a huge mental mess before (but I'm okay now, besides the point), I am at a point where I'm pretty comfortable with myself and the things that I do.

And especially having braces, I don't care what people think about it, I mean if they are supportive; great, I will enjoy that.

If they have anything bad to say (which has not happened and I work with lots of Coworkers), we'll I really don't care.

I'm of an attitude that I don't need to waste energy on things I can't help, and if somebody isn't being positive I would be foolish if I let that get to me.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17