Braces removed & unhappy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

unsure1039

Braces removed & unhappy

#1 Post by unsure1039 »

I just got my braces removed this morning and I am now waiting for my retainer to be made. I've had a chance now to get a good look at my teeth and I am not too happy with the result. They are definitely an improvement to what I started with, but they still look screwed up. My biggest concern is how my top row is slanted but I am unsure if this is a problem that can even be fixed with braces if it's maybe my jaw or mouth shape or something. My lips aren't completely symmetrical when smiling so that's not helping, but the teeth don't look symmetrical either...

Here are some pics I just took, excuse my chapped lips
http://imgur.com/a/qXO6X

Should I complain when I go to pick up my retainer? I feel like it's too late at this point... I've had them on for 18 months which was the estimated time they said it would take.

Prometheus

Re: Braces removed & unhappy

#2 Post by Prometheus »

Well as an unbiased observer I think they look great! The only nit-picky thing I can find is that one upper canine tooth is pointed and the other is blunt. That asymmetry might account for the perception of a slant, but it isn't at all obvious in the pictures. You could ask a cosmetic dentist to reshape one or both canines to look more symmetrical, but I think it is a pretty minor issue. Just my 2 cents, I think you got a good result.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

unsure1039

#3 Post by unsure1039 »

[quote="Prometheus"]Well as an unbiased observer I think they look great! The only nit-picky thing I can find is that one upper canine tooth is pointed and the other is blunt. That asymmetry might account for the perception of a slant, but it isn't at all obvious in the pictures. You could ask a cosmetic dentist to reshape one or both canines to look more symmetrical, but I think it is a pretty minor issue. Just my 2 cents, I think you got a good result.[/quote]

Yeah I told him to shave that one down and he did, but not enough I guess. Although, that tooth is on the higher side of the slant, so I don't think shaving it down even more will help what I'm seeing...

Anyways, I took a look back at what my teeth looked like before treatment and wow were they screwed up! I didn't even think they were that bad. I'm happier now, looking at the progress I made. Here's a pic for reference: http://imgur.com/a/o8aRH

shortcircuit

#4 Post by shortcircuit »

It looks like your midlines are spot on with each other but not with your nose, I think there's probably some asymmetry there and I also think your teeth look great and you have nothing to worry about :thumbsup:

A lot of people don't have perfectly symmetrical faces, so this certainly isn't something that will make people run out of the room screaming (I assume that no one did even with your old mouth :P )

Congratulations on making it to the finish line!

lmk

#5 Post by lmk »

I think your teeth look great and I don't see a slant. But interesting you would say that because when I had my braces removed I thought the exact same thing about my teeth! I obsessed over it and kept looking at my teeth every time I was near a mirror to look for the slanting . But asking everyone I know and they all told me it was just me seeing that. Well, that was like six months ago and I know now my teeth aren't slanted at all. I personally think it was just my lips weren't used to not having all that bulkiness of the braces and I was smiling crooked.