New to Braces! What's Your Routine?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrowsandBraces

New to Braces! What's Your Routine?

#1 Post by BrowsandBraces »

Hey all - Ok! So I'm about 11 days into braces and I'm still trying to find good hygienic practices with them. What is your morning/midday/night routine? How long does it typically take you?

Morning - I use a Waterpik Flosser, Electric Oral B Spin Brush, Tongue Cleaner and Mouthwash

Midday - I carry around a mini pouch that has a mini toothbrush, ortho picks/brushes, floss and toothpaste. I brush after my lunch or shortly after if time permits

Night - I use the Waterpik Flosser after dinner to eliminate large amounts of food, dental floss (it feels weird not to floss even though I use the flosser and orthodontic piece), Oral B Spin Brush, Tongue Cleaner/Toothbrush and Mouthwash.

So far, so good minus a few white spots that have come and gone since Day 1. I'm not sure about those but I plan to ask at my next appointment.

If you have any tips on practicing good orthodontic hygiene, I'm willing to try them.

Thanks!

FlossWrangler

Re: New to Braces! What's Your Routine?

#2 Post by FlossWrangler »

Most mornings and nights - Water Pik, then Glide Threader floss, then brush with Sonicare. Swish with ACT Adult fluoride rinse.
Lunch at work- floss with threader floss or a quick pass with interdent brush then brush.
Days off - Water Pik, Glide Threader floss, Super floss around the base of the band on my crowned molar, brush, clean the sides of my brackets with dental tools I bought online, then swish with fluoride. (Seriously!)

I didn't take great care of my teeth when I was younger - had mild gingivitis for several years and many cavities, partly due to the fact my teeth were so crowded and difficult to clean. Now that my braces are on, I'm extra careful to avoid cavities and white spots on my teeth.

BrowsandBraces

#3 Post by BrowsandBraces »

[quote="FlossWrangler"]Most mornings and nights - Water Pik, then Glide Threader floss, then brush with Sonicare. Swish with ACT Adult fluoride rinse.
Lunch at work- floss with threader floss or a quick pass with interdent brush then brush.
Days off - Water Pik, Glide Threader floss, Super floss around the base of the band on my crowned molar, brush, clean the sides of my brackets with dental tools I bought online, then swish with fluoride. (Seriously!)

I didn't take great care of my teeth when I was younger - had mild gingivitis for several years and many cavities, partly due to the fact my teeth were so crowded and difficult to clean. Now that my braces are on, I'm extra careful to avoid cavities and white spots on my teeth.[/quote]

What does the white spots mean necessarily, do you know? Should I be concerned with my current products or care?

littlething

#4 Post by littlething »

First thing in the morning - Just brushing

Throughout the day, after eating - Get food bits out with proxy brush, brush. If I'm at home, I Waterpik as well.

Night - Waterpik, rubber gum tip, clean under wires and around brackets with proxy brush, floss, brush, mouthwash.

White spots are a concern because they usually indicate decalcification, which is the earliest stage of decay. Usually, if they suspect that you have decalcification, they get on your case about it pretty quick. However, since you mentioned that they come and go, are you a mouth breather? I turned into a mouth breather in my sleep a few months into being braced, and freaked out when I started seeing white spots, but noticed they disappeared after a few hours. I asked my ortho about it, and he said that teeth get lighter in color when they are dehydrated, and because I was breathing through my mouth in my sleep, my teeth were drying out. Definitely ask your ortho about it, though.

BrowsandBraces

#5 Post by BrowsandBraces »

[quote="littlething"]First thing in the morning - Just brushing

Throughout the day, after eating - Get food bits out with proxy brush, brush. If I'm at home, I Waterpik as well.

Night - Waterpik, rubber gum tip, clean under wires and around brackets with proxy brush, floss, brush, mouthwash.

White spots are a concern because they usually indicate decalcification, which is the earliest stage of decay. Usually, if they suspect that you have decalcification, they get on your case about it pretty quick. However, since you mentioned that they come and go, are you a mouth breather? I turned into a mouth breather in my sleep a few months into being braced, and freaked out when I started seeing white spots, but noticed they disappeared after a few hours. I asked my ortho about it, and he said that teeth get lighter in color when they are dehydrated, and because I was breathing through my mouth in my sleep, my teeth were drying out. Definitely ask your ortho about it, though.[/quote]

I most definitely will ask him next month. I wasn't a mouth breather until I've gotten the braces on. It's becoming impossible to keep my mouth close through the night. The worse part is the slobbering LOL. I'll do more research and keep an eye out for anything new. Thanks so much!

jfriend33

#6 Post by jfriend33 »

Plackers angled brushes are my saving grace. I always buy them at target especially when they are on sale. I also stock up on single use packets of toothpaste and disposable toothbrushes from hotels, because hey you never know!

I always use my waterpik. The highest setting of 10 with the regular tip (I dont like any of the others except the gum line one), to blast away all the food. I mix in the cheap equate listerine mouthwash into it sometimes too (50/50). Never use the pause button because it gets stuck. I either get a rhythm going where I can leave it on and spit or use the power switch. Then I dial it down to 8 and go along the gumline and sometimes stronger for in b/w teeth. Or much lower if I am using the rubber tip one.

Then I use my oral b ortho essentials 5000 that I got for $50 brand new on ebay. It included a carrying case that holds the main part, 2 brush heads and barely fits a small tube of paste, 1 plackers angled brush, and a floss threader with a piece of floss attached. I always use the smart guide and brush for 45 seconds per quadrant using the ortho head. I stock up on those bc sometimes they are hard to find and I share with a friend that isn't as savvy as me. I then switch from regular brush mode to massage mode to go all around the roof of my mouth and all the gum tissue above my teeth and tongue. I think I might buy the tongue cleaning attachment. I also like to go to whitening mode if I have the time and use a little sensodyne whitening toothpaste with a dab of poladay/polanight/polazing teeth whitener. I use the super tiny brush attachment for that.

Then I reuse the same floss threader (usually about 1 every 2-3 weeks) and tie about a foot of mint waxed floss and use that to go around the wire, never thread it in between the teeth. I like the snap feeling of flossing.

Next, I use a special GUM braces toothbrush just in case I missed anything. Its got a v shape to the head. Also have a brush that is super small and circular good for bracket detailing if I am changing my powerchain.

Finally I rinse with original listerine, I even purchased a pump for the bottle on ebay so it makes it kinda nice to dispense some into my glass.

I have lots of mini bottles of listerine or colgate mouthwash that my dentist or dental clinics give me. They also send me with any mouthwash thats ready to expire or is post dated so that is always a great savings.

I generally do not eat 3 meals a day. Usually a large lunch and a light dinner. I never do this whole routine first thing in the morning, since my teeth are fairly clean, so just a normal brushing and rinse.

I purchased a portable water flosser and I was not impressed with it at all. I would rather get a smaller travel size unit that plugs in with a case. They don't have enough volume storage or oomph. I also tried this electric free attachment that connects directly to my sink. It basically is like a waterpik without the sound. Since it doesn't pulsate it does use less water, but it does not do as good of a job with interproximal cleaning.

My one petpeeve is no matter what brand of toothpaste or floss that I use, I seem to constantly have this sloughing off of skin from my braces rubbing against my cheeks. If that happens I am forced to use the manual v shaped braces brush to remove that weird stuff. Little obsessed I suppose but again I am never going to have another root canal as long as I can help it!

bez

#7 Post by bez »

morning: waterpik, mouthwash, waterpik

after lunch: waterpik, electric brush, mouthwash, waterpik

before bed: electric brush, interdental brush, orthopick floss, mouthwash, waterpik

BrowsandBraces

#8 Post by BrowsandBraces »

[quote="bez"]morning: waterpik, mouthwash, waterpik[/quote]

You don't brush in the morning? Not even a light brush? I use a regular brush and brush lightly in the morning. I've thought about waterpik only but I didn't know what effects that would have?

broadabroad

#9 Post by broadabroad »

This is such an informative thread! I never thought to add listerine to my waterpik. I'm going to try that tonight!

T1braces

#10 Post by T1braces »

9 weeks in full metal braces. ortho head on electric toothbrush (when all settled down a bit and mouth not painful). Small brushes to get underwires and floss between teeth. After each meal swill mouth with water. After lunch use brushes to remove any bit of food. Then a mouth wash (help get fluoride on all teeth).

Basically clean, clean, clean. Choose your foods wisely; avoiding hard or chewy food. I've limited sugar and have very little tea or coffee as they stain the teeth. Hope this helps

Skortho

#11 Post by Skortho »

I just brushed them with normal tooth brush. But i use the angled method to brush between bracket. Then i finish with Listerine

BrowsandBraces

#12 Post by BrowsandBraces »

broadabroad wrote:This is such an informative thread! I never thought to add listerine to my waterpik. I'm going to try that tonight!
I've tried it. It's nice! Just be sure to clean it afterwards!

HummerMan3

#13 Post by HummerMan3 »

Down to a science now... Listerine first thing in the morning and after lunch. Brushing after lunch and before bed. I haven't had any cavities with this routine, but some staining, as I'm a heavy tea drinker. I've also gone through toothbrushes like crazy... I use a new toothbrush every month!

FlowerPower

#14 Post by FlowerPower »

Now that I'm finally braced I can contribute my routine. This is pretty new and subject to change as I see how things go.

Morning: Brush, Mouthwash
During the day after eating: Floss, interdental brush, brush
Night: Waterpik, Floss, Brush, Mouthwash

I honestly though it would take forever but I can do these steps pretty quickly. 10 minutes and under. I've thought about what to do during the day when I want to snack and if it's something like ice cream or maybe yogurt I think maybe gargling with water or mouthwash might suffice instead of a whole mouth wash routine.

broadabroad

#15 Post by broadabroad »

[quote="BrowsandBraces"][quote="broadabroad"]This is such an informative thread! I never thought to add listerine to my waterpik. I'm going to try that tonight![/quote]
I've tried it. It's nice! Just be sure to clean it afterwards![/quote]

Uh oh....I have never cleaned my flosser before. Do you just mean the carafe or the entire mechanism? Is there special cleaning solutions I should be using on my system? (Googling now..)