Are Essix or Hawley retainers better?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Michellerose98

Are Essix or Hawley retainers better?

#1 Post by Michellerose98 »

I was debraced 1 month ago and was given an Essix retainer for both top and bottom. I've heard mixed reviews about them and was thinking of possibly asking for a Hawley at my next appointment next week. Pros and cons of each retainer? This is my second round of braces so I'd like to have the best retention possible. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!:)

Beckett

Re: Are Essix or Hawley retainers better?

#2 Post by Beckett »

The only drawback I have dealt with is that if you grind your teeth you'll go right through an Essix. My son did and our ortho switched him to a Hawley with a thicker front so he can't grind his teeth anymore.

I'm personally going to ask for Hawley's when my treatment is done because the idea of all that plastic encasing my teeth makes me feel squirmy. I can't explain why, it just does. All of my kids who have had braces have Hawleys.

And no retainer will do its job unless you wear it as prescribed. I don't know if that's your reason for needing round 2 of braces, but I hear it a lot from adults doing treatment again.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

FinallyBracesFree

#3 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

A lot of it has to do with personal preference. I've had both, and I prefer the Hawley. I don't like how the Essix completely encompasses your teeth and when I had it, I had a cavity developing on my top teeth (where I was wearing it) and I've never had a cavity in my life. When I stopped wearing it and started brushing really well underneath the tooth on the right side (where that area was) they told me it had remineralized so I guess it reversed itself. But the Essix does hold your teeth better. When I wear the Hawley alone, my teeth rapidly move. But I now have a permanent retainer on my top 4 teeth (my lateral incisors like to move up) and combined with th Hawley, this holds them in place pretty well.

FinallyBracesFree

#4 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

FinallyBracesFree wrote:A lot of it has to do with personal preference. I've had both, and I prefer the Hawley. I don't like how the Essix completely encompasses your teeth and when I had it, I had a cavity developing on my top teeth (where I was wearing it) and I've never had a cavity in my life. When I stopped wearing it and started brushing really well underneath the tooth on the right side (where that area was) they told me it had remineralized so I guess it reversed itself. But the Essix does hold your teeth better. When I wear the Hawley alone, my teeth rapidly move. But I now have a permanent retainer on my top 4 teeth (my lateral incisors like to move up) and combined with the Hawley, this holds them in place pretty well.

FinallyBracesFree

#5 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

A lot of it has to do with personal preference. I've had both, and I prefer the Hawley. I don't like how the Essix completely encompasses your teeth and when I had it, I had a cavity developing on my top teeth (where I was wearing it) and I've never had a cavity in my life. When I stopped wearing it and started brushing really well underneath the tooth on the right side (where that area was) they told me it had remineralized so I guess it reversed itself. But the Essix does hold your teeth better. When I wear the Hawley alone, my teeth rapidly move. But I now have a permanent retainer on my top 4 teeth (my lateral incisors like to move up) and combined with the Hawley, this holds them in place pretty well and my smile looks beautiful.

Michellerose98

#6 Post by Michellerose98 »

[quote="FinallyBracesFree"]A lot of it has to do with personal preference. I've had both, and I prefer the Hawley. I don't like how the Essix completely encompasses your teeth and when I had it, I had a cavity developing on my top teeth (where I was wearing it) and I've never had a cavity in my life. When I stopped wearing it and started brushing really well underneath the tooth on the right side (where that area was) they told me it had remineralized so I guess it reversed itself. But the Essix does hold your teeth better. When I wear the Hawley alone, my teeth rapidly move. But I now have a permanent retainer on my top 4 teeth (my lateral incisors like to move up) and combined with the Hawley, this holds them in place pretty well and my smile looks beautiful.[/quote]

Thank you so much for your input! I was thinking of asking for a hawley combined with a bonded retainer as well! I've heard that the top bonded retainers are a bit more uncommon due to the bottom teeth hitting the top retainers. I'll definitely ask my ortho his opinion! Thanks so much!