Should I or should I not use whitening tooth paste?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thubird

Should I or should I not use whitening tooth paste?

#1 Post by thubird »

Hey guys,

It's me again! New to this forum...I read somewhere that you shouldn't use whitening tooth paste all the time when you have braces cause after years of using it, your teeth will become whiter but the enamel below your brackets will be stained. Is this true? I don't want yellow squares on my teeth >.<

Much love xo

verso

Re: Should I or should I not use whitening tooth paste?

#2 Post by verso »

My orthodontist explained that whitening tooth paste doesn't *actually* whiten teeth in the way that you might think. It removes surface stains. He gave me the OK, but you might want to check with your orthodontist to see what he or she says about it.

Bracingmyself901

#3 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

The teeth behind your brackets will likely remain the same color as the day the brackets were glued to them to the day they come off. So if you aggressively whiten your bracket-less teeth area for the next 1-3 years, those small squares under the glue will eventually have to play "catch up" to get to the same color once they are off. That's why it's generally recommended to avoid whitening treatments during fixed braces treatment.

Braces47

#4 Post by Braces47 »

When I asked the assistants at my ortho's office about whitening toothpaste, they recommend I not use it. I've been learning that a majority of toothpastes now having whitening in them. Not always easy to find a non-whitening toothpaste.

verso

#5 Post by verso »

The assistant at my orthodontist's office recently had her own braces removed and explained that she used "whitening" toothpaste all throughout her treatment. No squares.

I'm not an orthodontist, so I'll refrain from giving advice that I'm not qualified to give, but *my* orthodontist said that it was OK, and *I* use "whitening" toothpaste.

jfriend33

#6 Post by jfriend33 »

I almost always use crest pro health whitening. My teeth were already extremely white to begin with. I think when I had a filling they said I had the 2nd lightest shade lol. Sometimes I even use professional whitening gel, just a dab mixed in with my tooth paste to remove stains since I am a coffee drinker. Drinking from a straw does not help!

I can tell you one thing, getting your teeth cleaned every 3 months will make a huge difference. See if you can find a hygiene school near you to supplement your regular 6 month cleanings. I pay 100/yr for 2 sets of cleanings/xrays w/ 75% off any services, and the hygienist school is usually $25 or $15 if they are having a sale.

samsung95

#7 Post by samsung95 »

Thanks for the info!

BlondeCam

#8 Post by BlondeCam »

I've heard you should not use whitening tooth paste.