Hawley retainer leaves dent in gums?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Slader01

Hawley retainer leaves dent in gums?

#1 Post by Slader01 »

I got my braces off earlier this week. I originally had both lower & upper hawley retainers. However, when they took my braces off, I was told some bad news that my upper hawley didn't fit correctly... The ortho adjusted it and claimed she "fixed it" however, it still did not fit correctly and would fall off. I was also biting the wire because I clench my teeth at night, and I'm pretty sure I bent the wire that night too, because When I woke up I had an open bite on one side and regular bite on the other, and the wire was slanting to one side. However, throughout the day (without wearing my retainer), my teeth moved back to normal(thank the lord!). So I went back today and now I have an essix retainer on the top. She said it will work better for me since I clench my teeth at night. However, now I'm having a problem with the lower retainer. I have to wear it 24/7 and it has made a "dent" or an imprint in my lower jaw/gums (on the tongue sidewhere the retainer sits.) It fits snuggly on my teeth but it seems to be digging into my gums. I'm wondering if this is normal and my gums just need time to adjust to the new retainer, or if I need to schedule another appointment with my orthodontist. She is on vacation for the next 3 weeks. It is somewhat sore in that area. Everything was normal the first couple days but now there is an imprint. And I have been wearing it faithfully. I have had it for 3 days and I haven't cleaned it once so that could be the problem.

jaime

Re: Hawley retainer leaves dent in gums?

#2 Post by jaime »

Maybe someone will chime in and say differently, but I was under the impression that your retainer should be comfortable. I just got mine two days ago and I find it very comfortable; it doesn't dig in anywhere.

If you're clenching your teeth at night, perhaps it would be better for you to have a custom bite guard made? They're just like Essix retainers but much thicker on the biting surface.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)