Mexico & Costa Rica

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

winecole

Mexico & Costa Rica

#1 Post by winecole »

My dentist recently advised me to have braces to correct an underbite which has resulted in dentistry issues. The orthodontist to whom he referred me advised me that approximately eight months of metal braces will correct the issue, and will cost about $5000. I am interested in having this done in Mexico (I live in California -- so T-ijuana would be easiest for me) or Costa Rica -- partly in order to save money. Could anyone recommend an orthodontist in these areas?

Bracingmyself901

Re: Mexico & Costa Rica

#2 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

You do realize braces require multiple follow up visits? So yes the cost may be low in these places but are you accounting for having to travel there every 6-8 weeks in your cost estimate?

winecole

#3 Post by winecole »

Yes, I realize this. I'm retired, single, speak Spanish, and like to travel. In my case, the estimated time of orthodontia is 8 months. If I do this in T-ijuana, I'd go to T-ijuana monthly -- I can get there in a day by train -- and, between appointments, I'd either go back home (to Central California), or fly out of LA to travel somewhere for a month. On the other hand, if I do this in Costa Rica, I would stay in Central America for a few months at a time, and go to Spanish school or travel between appointments -- returning once or twice to California during the course of orthodontia.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

I really don't know anything about Mexican or Costa Rican orthodontists but this would be a cool way to make braces a heck of lot more fun! I of course can't speak to the finances, but I would think the travel would eat up any savings. I'd probably make the decision based on where I could find a board certified, US trained orthodontist. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

winecole

#5 Post by winecole »

Actually, if you stay in hostels and do some of your own cooking, as I do, the cost of existing in much of Latin America is quite low -- perhaps $30 per day, i.e. about $1000 per month. (I spend more existing in California.) Flights to Costa Rica from LA are under $200 one-way -- for me, actually only $35 one-way, using frequent flyer miles. For this reason, in my mind, my major issue is identifying a suitable orthodontist (which was the purpose of my inquiry!)

Tree84

#6 Post by Tree84 »

As someone getting treatment in Latin America (Colombia) i'd say go for it! The cost saving is huge and they're quite professional. The only thing is that sometimes your appointments won't always be regular (I had to go back early one time to have brackets rearranged) so planning travel could be a hassle. Have you checked on the prices? I imagine Costa Rica would be a fair bit more expensive than Mexico.

sandiego88

#7 Post by sandiego88 »

Have you visited other orthodontists in your home city? My brother lives north of Los Angeles and his daughter had braces (the kid with ligatures, not Damon) and he paid $3000. She had them for over a year.

winecole

#8 Post by winecole »

Where in Colombia are you being treated? (I am also considering Medellin.)

Bride2B

#9 Post by Bride2B »

[quote="winecole"]Where in Colombia are you being treated? (I am also considering Medellin.)[/quote]

@winecole are you still looking for a good ortho in Mexico? I have a great one.

nachoesq86

#10 Post by nachoesq86 »

Costa Rica is a good option and has a lot of good doctors, this is the page of the Costa Rican Association of Orthodotists, many of whom have studied in the United States http://ortodonciacostarica.org/

Jethro

#11 Post by Jethro »

Regardless of where you receive treatment, please keep in mind that the "eight months" treatment time quoted is merely an estimate and could be considerably longer. This would be an important factor in total treatment costs. Just FYI, my original estimate was 18 months but actually took 30.
Best of luck with your treatment!

Gbr45

#12 Post by Gbr45 »

braceswoman wrote:Hello! I am in Mexico right now and would like to get braces in Mexico City.

I am so scared of getting braces again, as it is the second time around, since adolescence! It's to correct the big mistake made when I was a teenager, where the orthodontist destroyed my smile.

Can anyone recommend an absolutely trustworthy orthodonist in Mexico City????

I would so appreciate!!!

thank you!
look for Mexico in Outside of US and Canada

https://www.americanboardortho.com/port ... fault.aspx

Tyrantblade

#13 Post by Tyrantblade »

braceswoman wrote:Hello! I am in Mexico right now and would like to get braces in Mexico City.

I am so scared of getting braces again, as it is the second time around, since adolescence! It's to correct the big mistake made when I was a teenager, where the orthodontist destroyed my smile.

Can anyone recommend an absolutely trustworthy orthodonist in Mexico City????

I would so appreciate!!!

thank you!
Its not worth it if you have to spend a lot of time and money traveling.

Just thought i would say that because you said you were currently in Mexico.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17