Help! Flossing is a disaster!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cocomacd

Help! Flossing is a disaster!!

#1 Post by cocomacd »

Only finishing up my third day in braces (top row only to start). My teeth were crowded together to begin with and flossing has always been a little difficult. I have to use the waxed floss so it doesn't get stuck. Now with these braces...what a disaster!! Does this ever get easier? A piece even tore off and got stuck between my molars...was finally able to floss it out with a new piece, but now I'm afraid this will happen all the time!! How the heck do you floss with all the braces on?! I'm afraid I'm never going to get this one right. Then, once I do finally get it through when I try to pull it back off I'm afraid I'll just yank the wire off since it's such a tight squeeze and almost catapults out. Lol!!! Sigh. Any suggestions ?!! :-+ :? :-**
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

littlething

Re: Help! Flossing is a disaster!!

#2 Post by littlething »

It gets easier! Your teeth are constantly moving and things get easier as they move. I constantly got floss stuck everywhere and it kept snagging on the wire/brackets and that hurt...I even popped off a ligature doing that my first week. It's much easier now though (and much FASTER). A good threader helps too - I personally like the plastic Bridge Aid ones.

verso

#3 Post by verso »

It definitely gets easier, perhaps never enjoyable, but easier.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

I don't know if this would work in your case, nor am I necessarily recommending it, but I got away with using interdental ("Christmas Tree") brushes dipped in Listerine during my three year sentence. See the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" for more details. :lol:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Braces47

#5 Post by Braces47 »

Flossing does get easier. I also had tight teeth when I began and three months later, it is much easier to get the floss between my teeth. I use the floss with the threater already attached. It makes it much easier. I have yet to figure out how to floss with the band's on my molars, therefore, I use picks instead to keep them clean. Definitely take advantage of brushing and flossing without the wires I'd your ortho gives you that option when you get adjustments.

JanineJanine

#6 Post by JanineJanine »

When I got braces fitted I was advised by the orthodontist not to attempt flossing as it risks damaging the braces.

Instead I have a cordless Waterpik which was definitely a worthwhile investment, and I also use interdental brushes. I have my first adjustment next week so fingers crossed he's happy with my oral hygeine routine so far.

ditsy

#7 Post by ditsy »

Waterpik!!! You can get cheaper brands but honestly just buy the waterpik and keep your receipts in case it does go wrong.
I do still floss often too but not daily as the waterpik does a good job of blasting off the nasty stuff. I usually catch the floss on a bracket and it makes my brace fluffy! xxx

cocomacd

#8 Post by cocomacd »

I think its time for me to invest in that Waterpik! :D Thank you!
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

alabamaashley

#9 Post by alabamaashley »

I'm 3 months in and I still can't floss properly to save my life. I ask the orthodontist techs to floss my teeth every time I go in and I've also opted to go to the dentist every 3 months instead of every 6 while I have braces. I know this doesn't help you learn to floss better, but hopefully it gives you some options if you continue to struggle.

JCloNY

#10 Post by JCloNY »

I recommend the braces specific floor that has straight ends. It seemed to help allot when it came to flossing, especially when I am places without my Waterpik. Over that however I more so recommend investing in a WaterPik. It has changed my life.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

JCloNY

#11 Post by JCloNY »

I recommend the braces specific floor that has straight ends. It seemed to help allot when it came to flossing, especially when I am places without my Waterpik. Over that however I more so recommend investing in a WaterPik. It has changed my life.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

Leem03

#12 Post by Leem03 »

Waterpik is a life saver!!

SPceramics

#13 Post by SPceramics »

Thank you so much for these ideas!

I am generally OK with flossing, but my dominant arm has been in a cast for the past month and flossing has become impossible.Waterpik has helped a great deal! But I love the idea of interdental brushes dipped in Listerin. Also, have you tried the gumpicks? They can help- though my ortho said not to push too hard where teeth are too crowded. That might actually cause gum disease (instead of preventing it).

puckloo

#14 Post by puckloo »

the best thing I have found is Oral B SuperFloss. I can't live without it! The end of the floss string has a stiff end, and I can get it through even the tightest gaps... the middle of the floss is kind of fluffy, so when you develop more space (and you will), it still is very effective. I have found it in most Walgreens and in grocery stores. It beats using regular floss with a threader, hands down. I also use a water pic with an ortho tip.

It does get easier, truly. I think the first week or so, it took me about an hour to thoroughly floss. Don't worry! It's a breeze now! :BigGrin:

Skwiredmouth

#15 Post by Skwiredmouth »

I still find it easy to floss with my old floss that is oral b essential waxed dental floss. I floss all my lower teeth with it and upper incisors and laterals. For upper molars I use waterpik.

Does it mean I am doing something wrong ?