Little help please *

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

finalexplosion

Little help please *

#1 Post by finalexplosion »

Long time lurker. First time poster.

I have a pretty bad case of crowding and a over bite. I need to get braces. This will be a case of adult braces. Its just embarrassing since, I am over 18. Anyway, I suffer from bleeding teeth and gums. Usually, it maybe my brushing too hard or flossing.

I have absolutely no dental coverage so, I pay out of pocket. The estimate is about $6000 for basic braces. More if I want clear ceramic braces.

I recently got bad news. I was informed that I have issues with grinding my teeth. I use a mouth guard/grinding piece for sleep. I am still trying to break the habits. Worse, its caused some pitting in my teeth. I also have acid reflux and a lot of anxiety. I always get anxious for dentist appointments. Furthermore, acid reflux kills your teeth and enamel so, I am trying to get this under control. Finally, I have slight bit of receeding gums around my incisors. My concern is that, I have a overbite and any sort of adjustment could affect this.

Please help. I have a terrible smile since I do not smile in pics. I am working on fixing this but, it sucks If I ever have kids one day, I swear I will do over time to make sure they have braces and good teeth at all cost. Please help me chill out. I am against debt which is why I never did braces on credit but, if anything happened to front teeth, I would immediately fix it no matter what. Please help.

finalexplosion

Re: Little help please *

#2 Post by finalexplosion »

Cliff notes:

- Need braces
- Crowding
- Overbite
- bleeding gums after brushing/flossing
-Retracting gums slightly around incisors

Please help? I have a appointment to see my dentist. I am trying to control my gums first and then, I want to fix my teeth with braces but, with retracting gums, I am afraid of teeth falling out. I likely wont have a perfect smile ever :(

What should I do? Any help? I do not want to see a peridontis.

JCloNY

#3 Post by JCloNY »

Hi - Your receding gum line may be caused by your over brushing (which you have identified as the possible cause of your bleeding gums). If you have a regular dentist, have you consulted them on whether your teeth and gums are healthy enough for braces?

Sorry - Just read your second post that you are seeing your dentist tomorrow. They should be able to give you guidance on the health of your gums and the viability of braces on them.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

shortcircuit

#4 Post by shortcircuit »

Definitely see your general dentist for a full checkup first, slight gum recession will not prohibit you from getting braces but the cause of the bleeding has to be identified and addressed for sure. It could be overly aggressive brushing, it could also mean that you have periodontal issues which must be addressed before any orthodontic treatment and this may involve things such as root planing/scaling.

It takes a massive amount of gum recession and the accompanying bone loss before your teeth are in any danger of falling out, if you look at other people's x-rays you will notice that in most cases, the teeth are kind of like icebergs, there is way more tooth under the gums than what is exposed.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, we're all struggling with the same issues. Tell your dentist at the appointment that you are interested in getting braces, and they will tell you what you will need to accomplish before starting. Expect to hear things like: all active cavities fixed, periodontal problems addressed, etc. Good luck!

BrunetteMoment

#5 Post by BrunetteMoment »

Hey! I'm not sure where you're located, but is it possible to find an orthodontist who can do a payment plan? Im on a payment plan for my braces with no interest, I pay $500 every 3 months.
Damon Metal. 18 months.
Fixing: Overbite, overjet, crowding.

finalexplosion

#6 Post by finalexplosion »

[quote="BrunetteMoment"]Hey! I'm not sure where you're located, but is it possible to find an orthodontist who can do a payment plan? Im on a payment plan for my braces with no interest, I pay $500 every 3 months.[/quote]

The offer was about $200 per month. I am saving money but, I am scared now. I have a overbite. My gums are retracting. Its adult braces which sucks but, I am too young to be suffering from retraction of gums. This is very upsetting. Any sort of adjustment can loosen teeth. If it was front teeth injury I would pay whatever fee to fix it. That's my face. Not cool.

finalexplosion

#7 Post by finalexplosion »

[quote="JCloNY"]Hi - Your receding gum line may be caused by your over brushing (which you have identified as the possible cause of your bleeding gums). If you have a regular dentist, have you consulted them on whether your teeth and gums are healthy enough for braces?

Sorry - Just read your second post that you are seeing your dentist tomorrow. They should be able to give you guidance on the health of your gums and the viability of braces on them.[/quote]

I have no plan so, I need to see the dentist often which is about $100 per visit for cleaning. A consult ran me $60. Its scary expensive. Also, cause of acid reflux, its killing enamel so, I am really needing to get this under control. I think because of my gums, overbite, crowding, and the fact that I am a grinder, I am really damaging my teeth. Its creating a lot of anxiety for me so, I am trying to meditate and chill out.

Ya, I was given a mouth watch. I think its been deteriorating for a bit. Nobody told me. Until recently, nobody warned me about acid reflux and tooth damage. I will need a back tooth pulled to do braces and correct this. I dislike this uneasy feeling. I am just praying it will clear up.

finalexplosion

#8 Post by finalexplosion »

[quote="shortcircuit"]Definitely see your general dentist for a full checkup first, slight gum recession will not prohibit you from getting braces but the cause of the bleeding has to be identified and addressed for sure. It could be overly aggressive brushing, it could also mean that you have periodontal issues which must be addressed before any orthodontic treatment and this may involve things such as root planing/scaling.

It takes a massive amount of gum recession and the accompanying bone loss before your teeth are in any danger of falling out, if you look at other people's x-rays you will notice that in most cases, the teeth are kind of like icebergs, there is way more tooth under the gums than what is exposed.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, we're all struggling with the same issues. Tell your dentist at the appointment that you are interested in getting braces, and they will tell you what you will need to accomplish before starting. Expect to hear things like: all active cavities fixed, periodontal problems addressed, etc. Good luck![/quote]

The dentist said "slight retracting" and gave me a mouth wash. I use it twice daily. The thing is, I said for years I would but, everything is expensive. Its almost Christmas. I tried talking my dentist into braces for my worst area and the rest when I can afford it. She did not like that idea saying the teeth wont line up. I know but, the incisors, crowding and retracting is killer.

I have felt an infection for sometime and its not bleeding but it looks like a scratch on the gums near incisors. One side more than others. My jaw is sore. It feels like I have a wisdom tooth coming in but, I do not know. I cannot see anything. My jaw feels swollen.

Its all very uneasy. it sucks too cause, teeth are noticeable when dating. When single and being confident, its very challenging when dating is a challenging thing to begin with. I am suppose to go out with a girl soon but all this dental crap has me stuck in my head. I keep thinking of the worst case scenario like periodontal problems. Also, online diagnosis is flower scary. Things like cancer or teeth falling out among other crap is out there. Thought a forum post could help.

Thanks so much guys.

jaime

#9 Post by jaime »

Glad to hear you went to a dentist. Don't bear yourself up too much about your dental problems, it sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking care of it all. You will get to the other side of this.

Is it possible you mouth breath? I ask because I have receding gums as well as bleeding when I floss. I always thought it was because I was doing something wrong, but I learned it's from mouth breathing, which dries out your gums. In my case, getting braces and jaw surgery helped a lot. The gum recession hasn't gotten worse since I started all of this.

It sounds like you should really consider the payment plan for braces. I know debt sucks, but at least it's just one amount you're paying off, as opposed to a credit card that you keep using, you know what I mean?
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

shortcircuit

#10 Post by shortcircuit »

finalexplosion wrote: The dentist said "slight retracting" and gave me a mouth wash. I use it twice daily. The thing is, I said for years I would but, everything is expensive. Its almost Christmas. I tried talking my dentist into braces for my worst area and the rest when I can afford it. She did not like that idea saying the teeth wont line up. I know but, the incisors, crowding and retracting is killer.

I have felt an infection for sometime and its not bleeding but it looks like a scratch on the gums near incisors. One side more than others. My jaw is sore. It feels like I have a wisdom tooth coming in but, I do not know. I cannot see anything. My jaw feels swollen.

Its all very uneasy. it sucks too cause, teeth are noticeable when dating. When single and being confident, its very challenging when dating is a challenging thing to begin with. I am suppose to go out with a girl soon but all this dental crap has me stuck in my head. I keep thinking of the worst case scenario like periodontal problems. Also, online diagnosis is flower scary. Things like cancer or teeth falling out among other crap is out there. Thought a forum post could help.

Thanks so much guys.
Your dentist was right to refuse partial braces treatment, if you want to really get a good outcome you have to do all your teeth at the same time on a comprehensive basis. Be careful of cosmetic coverup systems like Six Month Smiles, there are a couple of recent threads here where people are very dissatisfied with the outcomes.

I completely understand about the mental struggles; I had trained myself for years to ignore my issues but since I made the decision to fix things, I've been overwhelmed by the functional problems and I'm hyper-aware of how hideous my teeth look every time I try not to smile too much.

I think this is one area where you can definitely justify going on a payment plan, it's not like you're going into debt to get some fancy new electronic toy that will be next to worthless in a few months, this is something that's medically necessary for your health and well-being.
Last edited by shortcircuit on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

finalexplosion

#11 Post by finalexplosion »

[quote="jaime"]Glad to hear you went to a dentist. Don't bear yourself up too much about your dental problems, it sounds like you are doing the right thing by taking care of it all. You will get to the other side of this.

Is it possible you mouth breath? I ask because I have receding gums as well as bleeding when I floss. I always thought it was because I was doing something wrong, but I learned it's from mouth breathing, which dries out your gums. In my case, getting braces and jaw surgery helped a lot. The gum recession hasn't gotten worse since I started all of this.

It sounds like you should really consider the payment plan for braces. I know debt sucks, but at least it's just one amount you're paying off, as opposed to a credit card that you keep using, you know what I mean?[/quote]

I may. I think I might have sleep apnea, stop breathing in sleep so, I now sleep on my side but, I think this provokes gritting my teeth. What a dentist showed was that, since I have acid reflux and I grit, it causes pitting. It can lead to cavities quicker especially since acid reflux ruins enamel of teeth.

I finished school so, I got a bit of debt. Not much but, its kind of scary. More so, the market sucks for work. My biggest fear is front teeth cavities, teeth falling out, and gum disease or cancer. I keep looking on line. Its freaking me out. My dentist told me there is no fixing enamel and mine is definitely hurting from my acid reflux.

My gums look infected around the incisors. I have a oral b electric tooth brush. I suspect it maybe too strong. I just feel like my teeth are not as white as they should be given the stuff I am using. I have another appointment in a few weeks but, I have a fair bit of anxiety.

Should I book a orthodontist and periodontist appointment? My gums need to be better before I do anything right? I am scared of gingivitis and perdonititis.

finalexplosion

#12 Post by finalexplosion »

[quote="shortcircuit"]

Your dentist was right to refuse partial braces treatment, if you want to really get a good outcome you have to do all your teeth at the same time on a comprehensive basis. Be careful of cosmetic coverup systems like Six Month Smiles, there are a couple of recent threads here where people are very dissatisfied with the outcomes.

I completely understand about the mental struggles; I had trained myself for years to ignore my issues but since I made the decision to fix things, I've been overwhelmed by the functional problems and I'm hyper-aware of how hideous my teeth look every time I try not to smile too much.

I think this is one area where you can definitely justify going on a payment plan, it's not like you're going into debt to get some fancy new electronic toy that will be next to worthless in a few months, this is something that's medically necessary for your health and well-being.[/quote]

My mouth is so crowded, teeth are pushing forward despite my overbite. So much crowding makes brushing hard. Acid reflux destroys enamel so, I need like crest white strips but, that's not a fix. Yeah, I am planning to do it next year at the start. The first thing is to correct whatever is going on with retracting gums and possible gum infection.

The reality is that, due to acid reflux and gritting, my teeth are damaged. Furthermore, my gums are infected so, I cant even do braces until that is dealt with. With retracting gums, incisors are larger looking yet, they are as far forward as they can be. I have a overbite. I likely cannot get a perfect smile. For anybody reading this, if you have acid reflux and crowding, please, get help asap. Its a nightmare.

I am getting a lot of anxiety and its really depressing me at the moment.

Prometheus

#13 Post by Prometheus »

We all had some anxiety about getting braces, but it quickly passes once you make the decision to go for it. Crowded teeth frequently lead to gum disease, bleeding etc. Getting them straightened out will give you better oral health and make it much easier to brush and floss properly. I've noticed my gums no longer bleed and even my dentist commented on how much healthier they look. If you have minor gum recession that should not prevent you from getting braces, the orthodontist will tell you if you are OK gum wise at the consultation. From your posts it seems you are in your 20's, I waited until I was in my late 50's which was a big mistake. If you can, do it now, it will never get better all by itself! As for dating, some girls think guys with braces are cute and vice versa, no worries there. As for the acid reflux problem you really should see a doctor about it. Long term i.e., after years and years of acid reflux (known in the business as "GERD") you can develop some serious medical problems, so better to deal with it now. There are many very effective treatments that are easy to take and easy on the wallet.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

finalexplosion

#14 Post by finalexplosion »

[quote="Prometheus"]We all had some anxiety about getting braces, but it quickly passes once you make the decision to go for it. Crowded teeth frequently lead to gum disease, bleeding etc. Getting them straightened out will give you better oral health and make it much easier to brush and floss properly. I've noticed my gums no longer bleed and even my dentist commented on how much healthier they look. If you have minor gum recession that should not prevent you from getting braces, the orthodontist will tell you if you are OK gum wise at the consultation. From your posts it seems you are in your 20's, I waited until I was in my late 50's which was a big mistake. If you can, do it now, it will never get better all by itself! As for dating, some girls think guys with braces are cute and vice versa, no worries there. As for the acid reflux problem you really should see a doctor about it. Long term i.e., after years and years of acid reflux (known in the business as "GERD") you can develop some serious medical problems, so better to deal with it now. There are many very effective treatments that are easy to take and easy on the wallet.[/quote]

I like your username to move reference.

My biggest concern is gum disease, gingivitis or worse, perdontitis or cancer. My gums look infected. Its making me sick but, I am being neurotic about it. I am going to make arrangements once my gums are healed. I am using a mouth wash. I booked a appointment later on in the month but, I am going to try and schedule a cleaning really soon. Once my gums are better, I am looking at braces but, since I do not think I can get a perfect smile, I want to at least do my worst area of braces. My jaw is hurting a bit or feeling swollen at the moment.

Good guess on age. I am in a situation where friends are married, having kids, some who started early, buying a house. I do not smile in pics. I never had good dental benefits even under my parents. I have none now. What really sucks is, I am pretty good with not eating sugar, no pops, sugary drinks or smoking and alcohol. My teeth are worse off then those that do all this stuff because of my anxiety, GERD or acid reflux, and crooked teeth.

My biggest fear is cancer, gum disease or loosing front teeth. I got told be a orthodontist that, I have too many teeth, my jaw wont get bigger or support what I have now so, I need back teeth pulled. Once I sign up, the plan is $200 per month. cost is about $6000 though likely more cause I want clear ceramic braces. Preferably, I would like to save a chunk of money and pay for my braces in the worst areas. I am curious if the orthodontist will reconsider braces for the areas of gum that are retracting?

Question? Should I call a peradontist or do I need a referral? I am noticing potential damage to gums and I want to get this sesame handled asap. I know I am being neurotic but, teeth and gum wont grow back. Please help give advice. I am calling my dentist tomorrow.

finalexplosion

#15 Post by finalexplosion »

BTW how did you manage to get braces for just your bottom teeth? I need full braces but, I just want to start the process once this gum situation is better. My fear is if I wait longer, more cavities will come. Anybody have a mouth guard for gritting while using braces?