I don't like my braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sosomoto86

I don't like my braces

#1 Post by sosomoto86 »

I had ceramic braces fitted today, the wire is metal and they feel huge in my mouth. I'm in pain and starting to regret getting them fitted. I'm sure it will get better but need to moan, I've spent 2k on something that I hate. I must be mental waaah.

Tyrantblade

Re: I don't like my braces

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

I'm sure all of us have probably felt the same way early on, I can't say I ever hated my braces, but certainly disliked having them and the pain, and all the annoyances that come with braces; and sort of had a "what have I gotten myself into" moment.

But it's been so worth it, I mean after about 5 months my bite has been the best it's been in at least 5 years and in the last few months it's the best it's ever been.

Some people feel like ceramic braces are too bulky and switch to metal, but braces feel the most bulky early on, so maybe you won't find them too bulky later on.

And as far as the pain goes, I find the first few days or even the first week is the worst, after a couple weeks it seemed like I had braces for months and I could almost forget I even got them.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

JCloNY

#3 Post by JCloNY »

sosomoto86 wrote:I had ceramic braces fitted today, the wire is metal and they feel huge in my mouth. I'm in pain and starting to regret getting them fitted. I'm sure it will get better but need to moan, I've spent 2k on something that I hate. I must be mental waaah.

It's ok. I'm sure most folks have had a similar moment at some point in their treatment (or along the lines of what have I gotten myself into). The pain will go away eventually. Getting used the appliances will take a few days but at some point you will forget about them. Just remember the road to a great smile (straight teeth and a good bite) is usually paved with braces, brackets and other thingies your ortho will apply :-)
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

Ziggy

#4 Post by Ziggy »

We've all been there. Yes, when I got my braces the first thing I thought was, Why the heck did I do this? Now the only time I think about it is when an elastic breaks. BTW, very few people notice, and those who do don't care.

sosomoto86

#5 Post by sosomoto86 »

Thanks good to hear it gets better and I know I'm doing it for the right reason s (I hate my teeth) just feel really unattractive and worried my fiance thinks I look ridiculous.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

The first few weeks are horrible. Issues with eating, pain, and of course the blow to your self image can be significant. It does get better. You've taken the plunge, which for many is the hardest part. You're doing something that will benefit you for the rest of your life, so keep your eye on the prize. You'll get through it, we all do eventually. I was second-guessing myself all the way home from the ortho. It's been a year since debracing -- and a three year sentence before that -- and it is worth it! Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Khaleesi

#7 Post by Khaleesi »

The first week I was so, so miserable and really hated my decision - my mouth hurt so much and I could barely eat anything. I'm quite a fussy eater anyway and I think having braces really screwed with that for the first couple of months. After the first week it stopped hurting and after the first two months I stopped caring so much about what I ate and under what circumstance (it's not much fun if you're out with friends or colleagues and you get food stuck in your teeth, or have to say no to eating certain things, but it's also not the end of the world and people tend to be pretty understanding). You will be able to eat most things after the first week or two, and any subsequent wire changes won't be as bad. The compensation is that movement tends to happen super quickly at first, which keeps you going through the initial slightly miserable period!

BLKSAGE

#8 Post by BLKSAGE »

I'm feeling this way as well.
I am not sure if I don't flat out like them but I do feel like they're super bulky because I have a pretty small mouth ):
I'm all metal btw.

Tyrantblade

#9 Post by Tyrantblade »

BLKSAGE wrote:I'm feeling this way as well.
I am not sure if I don't flat out like them but I do feel like they're super bulky because I have a pretty small mouth ):
I'm all metal btw.

They always feel really bulky at first, but eventually you get used to it and could almost forget they are there.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

JCloNY

#10 Post by JCloNY »

Yes - they do feel bulky at first but eventually your mouth will get used to them. Oddly enough I find them to be a great conversation starter. People tend to be quite interested.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

Braceyourzen

#11 Post by Braceyourzen »

I hated mine when I first got my linguals fitted.. I chose Linguals for aesthetic reasons, just didn't count in the serious lisp I got (and still have when I get too excited). Lots of metal on the inside of my teeth - what was I thinking!?

But honestly, you get used to it. My Ortho said "just give it 1 week!". By then the initial pain will have subsided and you will have gotten used to the metal. Time will fly by and the braces will soon come off - and you will be so happy about your new straight teeth!

Hang in there.

pantlover

#12 Post by pantlover »

start taking photos of your teeth. in a few weeks or months when you REALLY start seeing progress, hopefully you'll look back and think this was one of the best decisions you've made.

Voxpotens

#13 Post by Voxpotens »

I was excited about putting mine on, but vain little me hated the way I had to strain my chin even further to close my mouth. My husband is not a fan of brace faces either. Mine made me look so dorky LOL! But I embraced the dorky after a while...it does make me look and feel younger. In the beginning what helped me through was looking at a ton of before and afters of people with issues similar to mine. It would pump me up with hope and excitement!

istase2000

#14 Post by istase2000 »

I just ceramic braces too and they do feel bulky. I can't smile with my mouth closed anymore and have been eating a liquid diet for 5 days. Got to think about the end result, it'll be worth it!

cocomacd

#15 Post by cocomacd »

I'm sure most people feel that way initially? I have my bonding appointment this coming Tuesday, so I'm a little nervous I will feel the same way. Has it gotten any better since you originally posted? I hope so!