Week 1 - went back to get it taken off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blurple

Week 1 - went back to get it taken off

#1 Post by Blurple »

The bite block has been a nightmare, I can't chew anything like pasta, I've lost 4lb and had to try and force myself to eat, as that made me nauseous. I also looked like I"d had a stroke due to the bite block skewing my jaw, I looked so bad that I've even had clients asking me what happened to my face.

Rang the practice and made an appointment to get the brace taken off, which they said they'd do.

Anyway had a long chat with the ortho - who was lovely, she offered to just take off the bite block - stupid thing is that the brace hasn't bothered me in the slightest, no discomfort, no grating of lips, everything has been fine apart form the damn block. I said no please just take it off, then she suggested we compromised on a quick treatment to close the extraction gap, and then if I wanted to it could come off then.

So the bite block has gone, and my teeth now touch, I no longer have a droopy skewed lip, and I can't describe the relief I"m feeling, I don't feel nauseous any more.

I've had a stronger power chain put on the front, and I know go back every 2 weeks for the power chain adjustment, she did also say if at anytime I want to stop treatment and have the brace removed that's fine too. I'm going to have to be really careful eating then I don't damage the brackets, but I'm feeling so much happier.

Sorry if I seem like a wimp - I've got such a strong gag reflex I really struggle with things in my mouth, so the point I often vomit when cleaning my back wisdom teeth :(

SingleJawMelb

Re: Week 1 - went back to get it taken off

#2 Post by SingleJawMelb »

You will be an absolute idiot to not continue treatment. The bite blocks won't be forever.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I don't think I would put it quite that way, SJM. It's easy to judge others, I suppose.

To the OP,I think it's great that you went back to your ortho and had an honest conversation, and that you were able to come up with a plan that will work for both of you. All the issues you were previously facing would be very difficult for anyone to endure for long. Keep up the good work. And, best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Blurple

#4 Post by Blurple »

djspeece wrote:I don't think I would put it quite that way, SJM. It's easy to judge others, I suppose.

To the OP,I think it's great that you went back to your ortho and had an honest conversation, and that you were able to come up with a plan that will work for both of you. All the issues you were previously facing would be very difficult for anyone to endure for long. Keep up the good work. And, best of luck to you!
Thank you so much - this was to be my final visit to the forum after reading the previous post - I really appreciate your comments.

SingleJawMelb

#5 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Blurple wrote:
djspeece wrote:I don't think I would put it quite that way, SJM. It's easy to judge others, I suppose.

Thank you so much - this was to be my final visit to the forum after reading the previous post - I really appreciate your comments.
It's a forum. Expect opinions that are different than yours and perhaps don't be so sensitive.

Shelleyt

#6 Post by Shelleyt »

SingleJawMelb wrote:You will be an absolute idiot to not continue treatment. The bite blocks won't be forever.
I bet you are a blast at parties

SingleJawMelb

#7 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Shelleyt wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:You will be an absolute idiot to not continue treatment. The bite blocks won't be forever.
I bet you are a blast at parties
Yeah I am, cause it's different than people coming on forums having a whinge about the difficulty of braces, already going through the process of having them removed and wasting bandwidth/my time and wanting sympathy.

As s/he's going to get them removed than it's pointless making posts having a whinge. Completely more productive telling people to stick with it and giving that person encouragement.

jem

#8 Post by jem »

SJM, the point people are making is that your posts ( not only in this thread) are excessively blunt and opinionated and likely to cause offence.

Other posters are not wasting your time; you are under no obligation to spend your team reading posts on this site.

If you genuinely want to give encouragement you need to be more sensitive and constructive in what you post. If you are unable to do that it might be better for the other users of this site if you refrained from posting.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

jem wrote:SJM, the point people are making is that your posts ( not only in this thread) are excessively blunt and opinionated and likely to cause offence.

Other posters are not wasting your time; you are under no obligation to spend your team reading posts on this site.

If you genuinely want to give encouragement you need to be more sensitive and constructive in what you post. If you are unable to do that it might be better for the other users of this site if you refrained from posting.

Jem
This.
Dan

jaime

#10 Post by jaime »

Blurple wrote:

Blurple, I do hope you'll return to the forum. Your posts will be helpful to others struggling with a bite block or braces. Even though you had your bite block removed, your experience is still helpful because now we know treatment can continue even without a bite block.

I see that SJM's account has been deleted. Just a head's up for everyone: there is an "add foe" option on everyone's profile that blocks you from seeing someone's posts.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

djspeece

#11 Post by djspeece »

I don't think the "add foe" option actually blocks anyone; I had asked our board admin about that in the past and she indicated it was a feature that came with the software package, but that she did not think it added any special blocking function. However, my memory might be faulty :lol:
Dan

jaime

#12 Post by jaime »

I just tried it out and refreshed the page. It says, "[user], who is currently on your ignore list, made this post." Then it gives you the option of loading their comment. Not really helpful, IMHO. I don't know what others are like, but I'm the type who couldn't help just viewing the post and letting myself get annoyed. :lol: I'd rather not even know it's there!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

MissLou

#13 Post by MissLou »

jem wrote:SJM, the point people are making is that your posts ( not only in this thread) are excessively blunt and opinionated and likely to cause offence.

Jem
I 100% agree. I have been upset by this user's posts too.

MissLou

#14 Post by MissLou »

Blurple wrote:The bite block has been a nightmare, I can't chew anything like pasta, I've lost 4lb and had to try and force myself to eat, as that made me nauseous. I also looked like I"d had a stroke due to the bite block skewing my jaw, I looked so bad that I've even had clients asking me what happened to my face.

Rang the practice and made an appointment to get the brace taken off, which they said they'd do.

Anyway had a long chat with the ortho - who was lovely, she offered to just take off the bite block - stupid thing is that the brace hasn't bothered me in the slightest, no discomfort, no grating of lips, everything has been fine apart form the damn block. I said no please just take it off, then she suggested we compromised on a quick treatment to close the extraction gap, and then if I wanted to it could come off then.

So the bite block has gone, and my teeth now touch, I no longer have a droopy skewed lip, and I can't describe the relief I"m feeling, I don't feel nauseous any more.

I've had a stronger power chain put on the front, and I know go back every 2 weeks for the power chain adjustment, she did also say if at anytime I want to stop treatment and have the brace removed that's fine too. I'm going to have to be really careful eating then I don't damage the brackets, but I'm feeling so much happier.

Sorry if I seem like a wimp - I've got such a strong gag reflex I really struggle with things in my mouth, so the point I often vomit when cleaning my back wisdom teeth :(

Hi Blurple - I came on here to see how you were getting on and I'm sorry to see it's been so difficult. I understand why you made the choice to have to bite block removed - they sound awful. Luckily I haven't had to have one but I'm not sure how well I'd fare if I did. Braces in themselves are a lot to adjust to. I hope you can continue with your treatment though. You've come so far. I have moments where I want to have mine taken off but then I think of the money and energy I've already spent and how great the end result will be. It's your decision ultimately though and you need to do what feels right for you. How are you feeling now?

Blurple

#15 Post by Blurple »

MissLou wrote: Hi Blurple - I came on here to see how you were getting on and I'm sorry to see it's been so difficult. I understand why you made the choice to have to bite block removed - they sound awful. Luckily I haven't had to have one but I'm not sure how well I'd fare if I did. Braces in themselves are a lot to adjust to. I hope you can continue with your treatment though. You've come so far. I have moments where I want to have mine taken off but then I think of the money and energy I've already spent and how great the end result will be. It's your decision ultimately though and you need to do what feels right for you. How are you feeling now?
Thank you - I'm feeling a lot more positive now, the bite block was awful, and its a lot better without it, its when I see clients I get iffy, but hopefully the more I do it the better it will be - and at least I can chew - thank you for asking, hope you re doing ok too.