Rubber bands - how the heck to get them on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mbagwell04

Rubber bands - how the heck to get them on?

#1 Post by mbagwell04 »

Just got rubber bands with a basic top to bottom configuration but they are so small that I can't put them on with my bare hands. I am using tweezers now, but I don't really want to carry that with me everywhere I go. Please tell me it gets easier!

djspeece

Re: Rubber bands - how the heck to get them on?

#2 Post by djspeece »

It does. You have to show them who's boss, though. Stretch them a bit if you have to. I also found that when placing them over a hook it helped if I aimed a bit farther back than I thought I had to go, it was easier to set the elastic in place. But that's just me.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Tyrantblade

#3 Post by Tyrantblade »

Most of them just take some practice, I know this all too well as I have 15 months of elastics/rubber bands experience (as long as ive had braces), and my latest configuration is the worst yet as its Kangaroos which are very thick and tiny with a strong force, and it's on the far left side of my mouth.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

whitney555

#4 Post by whitney555 »

Welcome to the club! It'll soon become second nature to put them on, but it does take a bit of practice. I've only had two configurations, but I've found I can only put them on using the hand opposite the side the elastic is going on. I also always hook it on the tooth that's further back first and then pull it forward to hook the next one. Maybe that'll help you out, but you'll probably just have to play around with it to find what works for you. Good luck!

Beckett

#5 Post by Beckett »

I've been wearing elastics for 5 months and I still can't install them without a mirror and that little plastic hook tool.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

Tyrantblade

#6 Post by Tyrantblade »

Beckett wrote:I've been wearing elastics for 5 months and I still can't install them without a mirror and that little plastic hook tool.
After a couple months I don't even need the mirror, though it does help with my latest configuration of molar to molar on the far left.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

SingleJawMelb

#7 Post by SingleJawMelb »

I hook it on one hook, stretch it to another hook and play about with it. I don't find them too hard and I've used at least five.