Elastics is ruining my life!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

djspeece

Re: Elastics is ruining my life!

#16 Post by djspeece »

cocomacd wrote:Eventually, I will be wearing elastics. I am curious, why is there pain if you don't put them back in a few hours later? Did I read that correctly?
Yes, you read it correctly. What seems to happen is that the teeth are very quick to shift back, and having them off for a few hours allows them time to drift back to their old ways. It isn't really noticeable visually, fortunately, but when you reapply the elastics you can really feel the pull as the elastics begin to pull on the teeth. It doesn't last all that long (say an hour or less) but it can be uncomfortable -- similar to how you feel after a new, stronger archwire or fresh powerchain.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

cocomacd

#17 Post by cocomacd »

Thank you, Dan! I'm learning so much on this board!!
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

cocomacd

#18 Post by cocomacd »

One more question....if they are quick to shift back, once the braces come off, and retainers come on...will the jaw shift back then again, or does the retainer prevent that once the time comes?
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

djspeece

#19 Post by djspeece »

Mr. Retainer indeed enforces the orthodontic code of conduct; your teeth are notorious reprobates just waiting to regress to their old evil ways - even after three years of braces, in my case. I think every case is different of course, but regression seems inevitable without the use of retention. In my case, I think I am less likely to experience movement now that I am debraced because of dense bone structure and exceptionally long roots -- which required more time to achieve the final result. I opted for the Vivera (Invisalign) retainer, which generally requires an upcharge to the basic contract you signed, but the idea of a Hawley with its wire just didn't appeal to me. I wore them 24/7 for about 6 months post-bracing, and now only at night. I do notice that when I put them in I can feel the teeth being shifted ever so slightly back to where they belong. That feeling only lasts a few minutes.
I was talking to a woman over the weekend that I had apparently encountered in the past and she asked me if I had braces; she remembered some earlier conversation when I was braced, and I think she had also had braces as an adult. Anyhow, she told me that her last round of braces was the second go-round for her, because following her first experience she was instructed to wear them for a limited amount of time, and that some shifting was to be expected -- and of course as you can guess, her teeth basically went back to their pre-braces situation. I'm guessing she is in her early to mid-40s, so I assume this was the practice several decades ago. Now we know that retention in some form is a life-time endeavor. It's really not too bad though. Nothing is too bad compared to braces, though :gavel: . Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

LisainTX

#20 Post by LisainTX »

I had to re-visit this post and say that my elastics actually only really hurt bad the first day that they were put on. Now, they don't bother me at all. They are slightly uncomfortable after adjustments sometimes but its kind of like a tight shoe for a day or so then no prob!
If I take mine out, it doesn't hurt when I put them back in.
For a little while I had trouble with them staying on. I let the orthodontist tech know and she told me to pop in and she added a couple of hooks for me to attach them too and now they stay put. :jump:
I never eat with mine on. I think that would practically be impossible without choking.
Happy New Year Everyone!!!