Elastics is ruining my life!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

megz0501

Elastics is ruining my life!

#1 Post by megz0501 »

Had an ortho appointment yesterday. He said thank you for taking such good care of your teeth! Of course I walked out with my head held high. They had me start wearing elastics starting yesterday and my top teeth hurt so bad. I'm miserable. How long til this pain goes away? They have my elastics going around two brackets on each side top and bottom! is that normal? Also, it takes me forever to get these tiny things on..any easier ways?

djspeece

Re: Elastics is ruining my life!

#2 Post by djspeece »

No doubt about it, elastics are not fun. The discomfort does lessen but you will feel the discomfort if you miss a day -- that was the main reason I tried to adhere to the plan, because if I left them out too long after a meal (say for 4-5 hours) I really felt the discomfort. For me they were the worst things about orthodontics. You'll get more facile with applying them as time goes on. Just keep at it! And best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

littlething

#3 Post by littlething »

My first few days in elastics were by far the worst part of this whole braces ordeal (so far, anyhow). It felt like someone had punched me in the mouth! It got MUCH better after 3 days or so. They definitely get better the more you wear them. I had a temporary reprieve from them, and I had a bit of discomfort once I restarted them, but still nowhere as bad as those first few days! Still in elastics, but these days they are just annoying. And I had trouble getting them on in the beginning, but you'll get better and faster at it once you get used to it. Good luck!

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The key to wearing elastics (like someone else mentioned) is consistency. If you don't wear them as instructed, it will just make things worse.
The more you wear them, the quicker your jaw will get used to it and it won't hurt as much.
You can also use hot/cold pads to help with the pain.

SingleJawMelb

#5 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Take some pain relief and man up. Unless you are in pain that above 7/10 it's normal and will ease the more you wear the elastics.
I look forward to another dramatic post haha.

LisainTX

#6 Post by LisainTX »

I agree with those above. Especially in that it makes my teeth sore for 3-5 days but then its gone. I was happily thinking braces were a breeze until they added elastics.

I used the little plastic tool they include in the bag to put them on for quite some time but then found that I can apply/remove them much faster just by using my fingers (after washing hands, of course). This has lessened my stress.

Sometimes when I sneak my elastics out before a meal I would quietly sit them at the edge of my plate. After accidentally eating about 6 so far, I stopped that. Now I put them on the little handle of my "Christmas Tree" brush that I keep with me until my meal is over!!

annamariefranco

#7 Post by annamariefranco »

Oh gosh, I get my elastics in a week and these comments scare me. :(

cjtramont

#8 Post by cjtramont »

Phew, my ortho said I might be one of the lucky ones that don't need elastics. I've got a bit of an overbite so no idea how she is going to fix it.

SingleJawMelb

#9 Post by SingleJawMelb »

annamariefranco wrote:Oh gosh, I get my elastics in a week and these comments scare me. :(

Well they shouldn't. Because I've been in elastics pre and post op and they haven't been an issue.

Carie

#10 Post by Carie »

You defiantely get used to them quickly. Mine go from very back to front, one side top to bottom the other vice versa. They're quite visible when I talk but it's only a nuisance now when trying to eat something stringy, like cooked spinach! Sometimes they ping off or snap, but it's not painful. The only pain for me is if I leave them off. After a couple of hours it starts to get sore. Always carry a spare bag with you. The one time I didn't have a packet in my bag I ended up being without for a whole day and by the end it got to very sore. But my goodness are they making a difference, it's well worth it!

megz0501

#11 Post by megz0501 »

You're not supposed to wear them when you eat. Lol

Carie

#12 Post by Carie »

Heh. Well my ortho made a point of telling me to... so I'm going along with that for now! Only ever supposed to come of for brushing in my case.

JCloNY

#13 Post by JCloNY »

LisainTX wrote:I agree with those above. Especially in that it makes my teeth sore for 3-5 days but then its gone. I was happily thinking braces were a breeze until they added elastics.

I used the little plastic tool they include in the bag to put them on for quite some time but then found that I can apply/remove them much faster just by using my fingers (after washing hands, of course). This has lessened my stress.

Sometimes when I sneak my elastics out before a meal I would quietly sit them at the edge of my plate. After accidentally eating about 6 so far, I stopped that. Now I put them on the little handle of my "Christmas Tree" brush that I keep with me until my meal is over!!

I completely thought braces were a breeze until I was surprised with them today. As soon as she showed them to me I thought back to this forum and prepped myself for moments of not so pleasant language when one pops in my mouth. :oops:
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

Lovespain5

#14 Post by Lovespain5 »

My pain with the elastics lasted around one week after each appointment. I had never eaten with them because they hurt so much. But the funniest part with the elastics is the configuration. Some of them make you completly mad lol. Good luck with your treatment!
:?:-#):mrgreen:

cocomacd

#15 Post by cocomacd »

Eventually, I will be wearing elastics. I am curious, why is there pain if you don't put them back in a few hours later? Did I read that correctly?
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months