Weird numbness after debracing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lorianne

Weird numbness after debracing

#1 Post by Lorianne »

I had my braces removed beginning of August and my ortho did the usual cleaning off of the glue (there wasn't much, I don't think) with that special tool that he asssured me wouldn't damage enamel, but I'm still, 2 mos later, feeling like my front teeth are sort of numb. I'm wearing my retainer nights only and they always ache a bit for a few secs when they first go on, which is normal too I think. I'm worried the drill he used somehow messed me up. Nothing is visible at all though.

Anyone else experience this sensation AFTER braces were taken off?

djspeece

Re: Weird numbness after debracing

#2 Post by djspeece »

I doubt that your ortho damaged you're enamel, but am wondering if your issue is related to slightly shifting teeth. I wore my retainer 24/7 for about 7 months. Perhaps increasing your time per day in retainers would help - but check with your ortho. Also you may want to check the board "the naked tooth, life after braces" if you haven't already (admittedly traffic is lighter though).
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Lorianne

#3 Post by Lorianne »

Thank you so much! That sounds very likely that that could be the problem! I'll let ortho know too. Relieved that you don't think enamel was damaged either!

SingleJawMelb

#4 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Dentistry industry is pretty smart when it comes to making applicances that do what they are supported to. I doubt very much the cleaner did anything. If you had issues with hot/cold or pain, I think you would have something to worry about.

However numbness isn't associated with tooth decay etc AFAIK, especially if the patient has braces.